200 rear air bag install question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you still have to lift both front and rear off the ground to keep the kdss happy when you only want to install the air bags in rear coils (open kdss 3 turns first)? Thought I could put jack stands under the rear frame and use floor jacks to manuever the axle around as needed to remove coils. Will the front tires being on the ground affect this method?

Do you still have to lift both front and rear off the ground to keep the kdss happy when you only want to install the air bags in rear coils (open kdss 3 turns first)? Thought I could put jack stands under the rear frame and use floor jacks to manuever the axle around as needed to remove coils. Will the front tires being on the ground affect this method?
Not sure about air bags but I only lifted the rear when I replaced the rear springs. Opened the KDSS valves first then jacked the rear up and put it on stands. Had no KDSS issues.

Always be safe when working under a lifted vehicle. Especially if you are on 4 stands. I always put my wheels and some 2x6 crinbing under the frame rails to catch it should the jack stands fail or tip. Unlikely but I like knowing I won’t be crushed if something stupid happens.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how photographically inclined you are, but it would be great to see a few photos of the installation process if you're up for it. I may end up adding some rear bags in the future, and any additional photos or tips/tricks on a process is always appreciated.

When I recently adding trim packers to the rear, I only lifted the rear of the rig. Just like you stated open KDSS less than 3 turns, then lifted the back and had the rear on stands while the front was still on the ground.

As others have said, no need to raise the front of the vehicle. Follow the instructions below for the KDSS valves:

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

It's not a difficult job, but you might bang your head on the frame a few times. HTH.

Three turns means three turns. Just sayin.

Going to give it a shot. Viewed the videos on the install somewhere here. I did my 100 about nine years ago with the Airlift kit. They held up fine until a "too loose " airline found the tailpipe while towing the camper. Pinched a bag when it went flat. Thanks for the advice.

The video in this thread helped me. I used Firestone airbags so the airline routing, etc could be different than what's in the the video.

The video in this thread helped me. I used Firestone airbags so the airline routing, etc could be different than what's in the the video.

I can't find a video in that thread. . .do you have a link?

How did you mount the inflation valves? A number of other install videos show the valves mounted on a bracket under the rear bumper, but the bracket doesn't seem to be supplied by any of the airbag makes (Firestone, Airbagman, etc.).

Open the valves 3 turns (no more) while the truck is on the ground. DO NOT DO IT WHILE IT IS ON STANDS AS THE SUSPENSION WILL LOOSEN AND THE VEHICLE WILL MOVE! Then chock the front wheels and lift the rear frame onto jack stands. I found my 18-24" stands were insufficient so I took some plywood and cut it into 12" squares and screwed it together to make an extra 8-12"' tall platform. That gave me plenty of space to work. With just my stands I couldn't quite get the rear axle off the ground as the frame is quite high up

How did you mount the inflation valves? A number of other install videos show the valves mounted on a bracket under the rear bumper, but the bracket doesn't seem to be supplied by any of the airbag makes (Firestone, Airbagman, etc.).
I ran mine into the trunk where the jack is and mounted a small air compressor. They're attached to that.

I don't think my kit came with that bracket either but you can just pick up an L bracket from home depot and drill a couple holes in it. I'd recommend stainless steel, not zinc-coated.

I screwed up on the inflation valve install, so don't do what I did. I mounted them up just inside the bumper in existing holes I found. However, I mounted them pointing down and the valve cap seal wasn't very good so they filled up with water/salt/mud and were a mess. After I cleaned things up, I bought caps with good seals and added a protective plastic cover. Much better to do what @linuxgod did and put them inside.

I am a fan of having the compressor in the trunk and easily accessible, btw. If you have onboard air with ARB or similar I'd plumb into that, but otherwise if you're going to use these regularly just drop the $100 and buy a small compressor to mount in the trunk. It takes me ~30 seconds to inflate or deflate, which means I only leave them filled when I need to (or what I forget to deflate after unhitching). Where if I had to break out a pump and hook it up to fill them I'd probably drive around with them inflated because I'd be too lazy to do it.

I am a fan of having the compressor in the trunk and easily accessible, btw. If you have onboard air with ARB or similar I'd plumb into that, but otherwise if you're going to use these regularly just drop the $100 and buy a small compressor to mount in the trunk. It takes me ~30 seconds to inflate or deflate, which means I only leave them filled when I need to (or what I forget to deflate after unhitching). Where if I had to break out a pump and hook it up to fill them I'd probably drive around with them inflated because I'd be too lazy to do it.
I wasn’t planning to add a compressor...a small handheld battery operated bike tire inflator should do nicely. Alternately, my new trailer has an air suspension with the pump in the front storage compartment and I hope to be able to take advantage of that setup.

Now the question is “Firestone” or “Airbagman”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom