2.7L questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm looking at 99 4x4 xtra cab 2.7l 5spd. i've never owned a tacoma so i'm wondering how they are on power (i know they're not a racehorse) gas mileage and towing.

this particular truck is immaculate inside and out 1 owner, a old guy, and it has 109,000 miles. they are asking $10,800. where would be a good purchase price range. i've looked on kbb but i also know toyotas have high resale and will run forever.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

thanks

I take it your are in the Vegas area?

For reference...take a look at these:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner ...50k mi ... New Tires! One Owner!

2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner X-cab

2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5, New Oversized Tires, CD, Orig Owner!

1998 Toyota Tacoma

I don't think that price is out of the ballpark, and if it really is immaculate and what you are looking for, go for it! I bought mine in Vegas for $10k, and it had 107,000 miles on it, with the v6 and the TRD...and its the best deal I've seen for a while.

Gas mileage in the 2.7 is decent...maybe some of the other guys can chime in on that. Having the 5 speed will help.

Good luck!

actually i'm in NC, western NC, just down the road from Tellico. thanks for the input though.

I have a 96 Tacoma 2.7L 5 speed, and I love it. It has over 175,000 HARD miles on it, and it runs great. They are a little sluggish with an auto, but with a 5 speed behind them, the 2.7L motor is great. Lots of low end grunt, and they love to be bogged down. The milage isn't bad, but its not a prius either. I get about 16-18 MPG, but I'm running 32x11.5.15 BFG All Terrains and 4.10 gears. As far as towing goes, the power isn't too bad, except for maybe on hilly terrain, but Tacomas aren't the best tow pigs either.

The price sounds reasonable, especially if its a one owner and in great shape as you say. You could find a better deal, but it would take searching.

One thing to check is the rear leaf springs. They have a tendancy to break, even if not taken off road or loaded down. If they do break, just get a set of aftermarket springs to replace them, don't waste your time at a dealership for stock springs.

Good Luck!

-E

The axle code for your rig can be found on the manufacture's sticker located on the driver's side door jamb as follows:

First digit:

A = 7.5" ring gear
B = 8" ring gear

Next two digits:

01 = 3:42
02 = 3:58
03 = 4:10
04 = 4:56
05 = 3:15
06 = 3:91
07 = 4.30

Last digit:

A = 2 Pinion, Open
B = 4 Pinion, Open
C = 2 Pinion OEM Limited Slip

Some '98-00 models have shown a BO code of "???" on the door plate; so far this turns out to be a 3.91 gear ratio, at least for the 5sp. RZN171L-CRPDKAB with factory 31s/265s should be 4.56 with the AT.

*info stolen from the sticky up top

My Tacoma origonally came with 3.58 gears, which with the 2.7L and 32" tires SUCKED! I converted to manual hubs using parts from my other Tacoma that I'm doing a solid axle swap on, and that had 4.10s, which is a very noticable improvement. For 32" tires, 4.30's would be ideal, but I eventually plan on going to 33" tires, and installing lockers, so when I do that I'll want to go to 4.56's or 4.88's anyway.

For the 2.7L 3.58 and 4.10 are most common. As Mars pointed out, you can check the gear codes on the door plate to find out what gears you have.

thanks for the info everybody. i drove the 2.7L today, had to have had 3.58 in it. had a B02 code. I even called a toyota dealer to see if they could give me an answer if it had 3.58 or 4.10. Their computer even said either, or. Like I said had to have had a 3.58. it had 265's and it felt like it couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats ass. Gotta have 4.10 for me.

thanks for the info everybody. i drove the 2.7L today, had to have had 3.58 in it. had a B02 code. I even called a toyota dealer to see if they could give me an answer if it had 3.58 or 4.10. Their computer even said either, or. Like I said had to have had a 3.58. it had 265's and it felt like it couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats ass. Gotta have 4.10 for me.

:lol::lol:

Looks like you should keep looking. There are starting to be some decent deals around for used Tacomas.

:cheers:

Off to look at another one today. 2001 5spd 4.30's. Hopefully will be mine. Keep ya'll posted.

bought it yesterday. 1st Toyota.

01040301160601030820080303b89255d348d3f94a060084a0.jpg

Hi All:

I've been thinking of buying a extended-cab Tacoma as well. Any opinions on the 2.7L versus the 3.4L? Five speed versus automatic?

Thanks!

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
i'm looking at 99 4x4 xtra cab 2.7l 5spd. i've never owned a tacoma so i'm wondering how they are on power (i know they're not a racehorse) gas mileage and towing.

this particular truck is immaculate inside and out 1 owner, a old guy, and it has 109,000 miles. they are asking $10,800. where would be a good purchase price range. i've looked on kbb but i also know toyotas have high resale and will run forever.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

thanks

My truck is a 2.7L with 4.30 gears and it's great. I haven't spent too much time in the 3.4L the power is nice and i think the mpg's are about the same as the 2.7L. I get 21mpg right now and i haven't done a tune up yet.

well hayesvegas.. I think you made a solid choice... I pretty much love my 96 runner.. 2.7 doesn't need timing belts replaced cause it's a chain. I had to replace the exhaust manifold as it cracked but thats it..change the oil, add gas and just drive it. I like the auto as perhaps it's my age but I don't really care to grab gears and run a clutch anymore plus no clutch repair to worry about either I figure.
Yesterday it started snowing here, another late winter snow storm and it's actually fun to just go for a rip in it.. cars all over the place etc. Well better go flash up the snow blower to get the drifts out of the driveway and sidewalks. Enjoy you new ride! The cap sure makes it more useable as well!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom