1st annual Book Cliff Cruisers BBQ and trail run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have set a date for the 1st annual Book Cliff Cruisers BBQ and trail run. Get the date in those planners now for Saturday June 20th. The plan is to meet up at a location (TBD) and make a run up to the top of the Grand Mesa via Lands End road. We will get set up and have a BBQ (get those recipes ready) and then run some trails in the area. The initial plan is to leave around 9AM and hit the trail, have an early lunch then all meet back up for a little BBQ action on top.

This is in the initial stages but I wanted everyone to get the date in your schedule so your ready. Give me some ideas on how to best make this work... I was thinking a pot luck type set up for the BBQ. If there is interest we could make this an overnight event for those that would like to do that.

I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas, thoughts or suggestions. Please let me know!

Bill
Book Cliff Cruisers

Bookcliff Cruisers,

We are coming up from Albuquerque.
Camping Saturday night on the mesa ought to way cool.
Beside the local KOA is there any camping at the bottom of
lands end trail?? Or should we make camp Friday on top and drive down to meet with all yall, then drive back up?:clap:

Thanks
James:cheers:

James,
Nice to hear you can make it. There are numerous places to camp near the base of lands end or further up on Lands End. I am sure you will be able to find a good spot. I will look on my maps to try and give you a specific area if that would help. if anyone else knows of a food spot please chime in. If your some where on Lands End we can just meet up as the group is in the area.
I will do some looking for a spot and hopefully others will also. I look forward to getting together for some fun!

I just joined the BCC Tuesday and will be there Saturday. Also planning to camp but where is problematic. I spent a lot of time camping at Jumbo last fall but all reports say the mosquoitos can be real bad there this time of year. More than likely I will look for a spot near the Lands End Overlook at the top of Lands End Road. Hopefully the breeze at the rim will keep the pests at bay. There is limited camping there but hopefully we can find a boondock spot. I will be heading up there Thursday PM so if your coming up early loook for my white 17' Escape trailer (looks like a Casita on steroids) and silver FJC. Just got an eamil from John and meeting place will be City Market in Orchard Mesa at 9 AM .

Guess I will drive down Sat AM just to meet y'all.

Alan

Update friday pm

I am camping at Jumbo CG site 15 on the north side of the Mesa. Will stay the weekend there and bondock camp where ever the group decides on Saturday night. Yesterday it was 40 degrees/sleet/rain, but today is pretty nice and NO mosquitos so far.

I would say conditiions are poor for wheeling on the Mesa. There still is several feet of snow on the ground in shaded areas. The have had lots of rain up here the past 3 weeks and trails may MAY be open will probably be a muddy mess. My suggestion is we skip the mesa and wheel south of Hwy 50 on trails such as Escalante Canyon Road and others just west of Delta. I just got a new guiide book by Massey/wilson thats lists several good trails in that area. The photos suggest they should be a lot drier than the Mesa top. Just a suggestion.... I will go with the flow.

I will be at the meeting place Saturday AM prepared to camp anywhere.

Anybody needs to contact me my cell is 270-217-3935 but I don't have service at the CG, but I will drive out to a place that has service close by and check any voice messages around 6 this evening. Then it's time for a :beer:

Alan

Let's plan on meeting at the Orchard Mesa City Market parking lot on
Saturday morning at 0900 hrs. We'll head out from there for Lands End Road
while enroute to the top of the Grand Mesa. We can discuss at City Market where we want to go based on conditions tomorrow.
John Ferguson is doing some research on some of the available 4wd trails on the Grand Mesa for our wheeling pleasure. Please bring enough food/snacks/drinks for you
and your riders/navigators for a lunch/barbeque. If anyone has a portable barbeque type grill, it would be greatly appreciated if you brought it along. I look forward to seeing everyone at 9. I am still in Las Vegas at the moment but will be home tonight. any questions give me a call @ 970-270-4957.

Well were on our way, if you got a late start and want to meet up with us we will be in the Long Slough area on CB channel 3. Or call me.

Well, it turned out better than expected, referring to trail conditions anyway. The Slough was pretty muddy but it seemed to have a solid bottom under all the black slime. The only pplace that gave us any troulble was a short section that had too-tall stumps just wanting to snag your undercarraige. The driver of the day was John from Proffit Cruisers, driving a near stock Taco pulling a short trailer and he made it through everthing except the stump land mines!

It was my first trip with BCC and it was fun and a good bunch of folks there too.

Thanks all!

Alan "Ace" Brown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom