1HZ smoke while idling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Completely warmed up, never overheats, running great. This is getting worse. Thoughts?

20201221_165007.jpg

What does the smoke smell like? When does it happen (ie. when engine cold, hot, both)? How does the engine sound when this smoke is happening (any loud knocking)? How many kms on the truck?

If the smoke smells like diesel and happens when it's hot, I'm going to suggest you may need an injector and/or injection pump rebuild/service.

If the smoke smells like coolant, I'd suggest head gasket or cylinder head issues.

What does the smoke smell like? When does it happen (ie. when engine cold, hot, both)? How does the engine sound when this smoke is happening (any loud knocking)? How many kms on the truck?

If the smoke smells like diesel and happens when it's hot, I'm going to suggest you may need an injector and/or injection pump rebuild/service.

If the smoke smells like coolant, I'd suggest head gasket or cylinder head issues.
Definitely smells like diesel. 217,000 kms, no particular knocking.

Definitely smells like diesel. 217,000 kms, no particular knocking.

Sorry, I see in your first post you state it happens when warm.

I'd recommend having the injectors tested and rebuilt if needed. Also, have the injection pump timing checked. I'm assuming your other maintenance like filters, timing belt, etc. is up to date? Do you run the truck regularly; fresh diesel?

It depends on the temperature and how long it lasts for. A video would be better. Is this your first winter owning it?

Sorry, I see in your first post you state it happens when warm.

I'd recommend having the injectors tested and rebuilt if needed. Also, have the injection pump timing checked. I'm assuming your other maintenance like filters, timing belt, etc. is up to date? Do you run the truck regularly; fresh diesel?
Yes, I drive it every day. All maintenance is up to date but I suspect the injectors or injection pump have never been serviced.

It depends on the temperature and how long it lasts for. A video would be better. Is this your first winter owning it?
Yes, first winter although I live in Florida so air temp is not really an issue. This only happens at idle when the truck is warm. On a warm restart it puts out a pretty big puff.

Welp, definitely has oil in the coolant and exhaust gasses coming out of the radiator when the engine is idling, cold, with radiator cap off. I drove a 2500 mile highway trip since I started this thread with no overheating and the engine ran perfectly except when cold in sub 35f temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom