1HZ in a J78 Prado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I have used many helpful informations from this forum for my HDJ101. Thank you

Currently I have a restoration project for a LandCruiser Prado J78 came with a 22R Petrol. I want to swap a 1HZ in.
I have tried to search for information but there isn't much over the net. I want to know if is it wise to do so or better keep the 22R. Car is in very bad condition, I collected it from a wasted car yard of a govt facility. I have a complete 1HZ with gearbox from J105 in my garage. I want use it in a good way. Please share your thoughts and ideas on how I may do it. Do I need to fabricate anything or it will be direct bolt in?

104435363_3376940972391482_3798819644516991260_n.jpg

You will need at minimum new frame mounts and probably a new transmission/transfer case mount and modify it to fit. As far as engine size it will fit but it will be very tight, at least going off of a picture of a 78 with a 1HD in it. You will probably also need the larger radiator if the two are not the same size. You will need to decide on what transmission you will want to use. Probably will need new front and rear drive shafts. I can’t remember if the one with the 1HD had Electric radiator fans or if it used the factory fan. Again, no one thought it can be done till someone posted pictures of a 78 with the 1HD in it. I guess with enough creativity and money anything might be possible. If you do do this definitely create a thread here as you are going through this.

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I have used many helpful informations from this forum for my HDJ101. Thank you

Currently I have a restoration project for a LandCruiser Prado J78 came with a 22R Petrol. I want to swap a 1HZ in.
I have tried to search for information but there isn't much over the net. I want to know if is it wise to do so or better keep the 22R. Car is in very bad condition, I collected it from a wasted car yard of a govt facility. I have a complete 1HZ with gearbox from J105 in my garage. I want use it in a good way. Please share your thoughts and ideas on how I may do it. Do I need to fabricate anything or it will be direct bolt in?

Picture is worth 1000 words. Look through this to see what you up against. HZ into a lj78

Personally, I'd swap in 3B/13BT/14BT/15BT instead. They fit perfectly.

Picture is worth 1000 words. Look through this to see what you up against. HZ into a lj78

Don't forget the bastard child 1PZ. I forget I have one of these engines sitting in my garage but Bangladesh is a bit far to ship one.

You will need at minimum new frame mounts and probably a new transmission/transfer case mount and modify it to fit. As far as engine size it will fit but it will be very tight, at least going off of a picture of a 78 with a 1HD in it. You will probably also need the larger radiator if the two are not the same size. You will need to decide on what transmission you will want to use. Probably will need new front and rear drive shafts. I can’t remember if the one with the 1HD had Electric radiator fans or if it used the factory fan. Again, no one thought it can be done till someone posted pictures of a 78 with the 1HD in it. I guess with enough creativity and money anything might be possible. If you do do this definitely create a thread here as you are going through this.

I have full complete frame from 105 with 1HZ MT. I don't know what really I can use or not. As I haven't started any stripping yet. I am confused. Bcoz 22R is very reliable, I can go for a easy rebuild and the motor will survive for long. Lets strip it first and will consider my options.

Gone through the thread, amazing work. I woke up in the morning and read every words. This thread just fuelled my dream about project.

Don't forget the bastard child 1PZ. I forget I have one of these engines sitting in my garage but Bangladesh is a bit far to ship one.

PZ is available here and can get a good deal anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom