1HZ ABS retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to raid the parts bin of an ABS troopy and bolt them onto non-ABS 2010, 1HZ troopy?

I might add that I have no desire for this whatsoever other than to satisfy the bureaucrats in the Registration Office of the import country.

The small print does state it must be "fitted with..."- it makes no mention of whether or not it works!

Thanks for any advice.

I don't know is the honest answer. How complicated would a functioning, second hand budget option cost and is there significant labour?

Do the UK test the ABS "in action"? I can't remember that happening on any MOT

I don't think so, my 79 doesn't have ABS. I guess retro fitting a factory ABS system would mean a massive amount of work bearing in mind the non-ABS truck hubs and rear axle wont have any facility to insert sensors etc, plus the wiring looms, ECU, pump, brake lines and dash warning lights.

I don't think so, my 79 doesn't have ABS. I guess retro fitting a factory ABS system would mean a massive amount of work bearing in mind the non-ABS truck hubs and rear axle wont have any facility to insert sensors etc, plus the wiring looms, ECU, pump, brake lines and dash warning lights.
Christ. Is there any Plan- B?

Would something like this work? These guys managed it on an fj40.

Hello,

If I remember correctly, ABS and a basic form of traction control started on model year 2013 trucks.

In theory, you can source all the sensors, pumps, lines, wiring and ECU from a post-2013 truck and have them retrofitted on your Troopy. It depends on how much you are willing to spend on parts, fabrication and labor.

The video offers an interesting option. However, as it points out, it is uncharted territory of sorts. On the other hand, having different components from different manufacturers working together properly can be complicated.

Keep in mind that brakes are a critical system that can cause catastrophic failures if not built/set up properly.

I would attempt the retrofit with parts from a post-2013 example, provided that budget allows.

Juan

Thank you
Is there anyway I can source a definitive parts list to identify ABS critical components?

@scottmk1 mentioned the axles and hubs which I'm guessing is going to be the biggest hit.

You would be looking at the following:

Rear axle housing, possibly brake backing plates if these are different to non ABS
Front steering knuckles
ABS pump
Wiring harness, which I guess will be a complete vehicle replacement
Wheel speed/ABS sensors
Tone rings for these sensors - is it possible to install on the original hubs? Maybe you need new hubs too?
ABS/VSC ECU, I don't know if that would be a standalone unit or integrated into the engine ECU
Probably some sort of accelerometer, Toyota may call it something else
Brake lines to suit the location of an ABS pump
Dash warning lights, maybe you would need a new cluster if yours doesn't already have the lights?
Probably more that I haven't thought of.

I can't see the contents of your post further up as I'm at work so can't comment on that, but it may well be worth looking into an aftermarket setup if possible.

You would be looking at the following:

Rear axle housing, possibly brake backing plates if these are different to non ABS
Front steering knuckles
ABS pump
Wiring harness, which I guess will be a complete vehicle replacement
Wheel speed/ABS sensors
Tone rings for these sensors - is it possible to install on the original hubs? Maybe you need new hubs too?
ABS/VSC ECU, I don't know if that would be a standalone unit or integrated into the engine ECU
Probably some sort of accelerometer, Toyota may call it something else
Brake lines to suit the location of an ABS pump
Dash warning lights, maybe you would need a new cluster if yours doesn't already have the lights?
Probably more that I haven't thought of.

I can't see the contents of your post further up as I'm at work so can't comment on that, but it may well be worth looking into an aftermarket setup if possible.
Thank you very much! that really clarifies things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom