1hdtft fte top mounted intercoolers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
I am gonna swap a 1HDTFT in my wide nose 70 series and right now I am running a 1HZ with turbo and top mounted IC. I have the hood from the V8 model with the large hoodscoop so I want to run a top mounted IC on the FT.

What is everyone running on the ft/fte engines?

I am running a PDI front mount intercooler on my narrow front 79, 1hd-fte. Works incredibly well. Top mount wise, a stock intercooler with fans will cool a modified 1vd ftv well enough, normally get swapped out on the v8s once power is above the 200rwkw and 900rwnm mark. Otherwise, cross country make a good top mount, but both are located down under if that puts you off. Whatever you do, you will need to custom mount the intercooler to work with the 1hdft and factory good scoop.

Before you order anything, check what clearance you have between the top of the engine and the underside of the hood. My bet is that there won't be enough room for a good size cooler and fans. If making big power, I would get the PDI wide front replacement front mount intercooler. Another thing to consider is that the top mount will make working in the engine bay a pia.

I am running a PDI front mount intercooler on my narrow front 79, 1hd-fte. Works incredibly well. Top mount wise, a stock intercooler with fans will cool a modified 1vd ftv well enough, normally get swapped out on the v8s once power is above the 200rwkw and 900rwnm mark. Otherwise, cross country make a good top mount, but both are located down under if that puts you off. Whatever you do, you will need to custom mount the intercooler to work with the 1hdft and factory good scoop.

Before you order anything, check what clearance you have between the top of the engine and the underside of the hood. My bet is that there won't be enough room for a good size cooler and fans. If making big power, I would get the PDI wide front replacement front mount intercooler. Another thing to consider is that the top mount will make working in the engine bay a pia.

All valid points but with the winch installed in the ARB bumper I feel that a front mounted one will suffer also plus I haven’t found a decent front mounted kit for a wide nose with 1HDTFT.
Running a small HPD ic on top of the 1HZ now and plenty of space there so that should be the same with the ft.
80F94BDF-5581-4267-99A6-8D3B91BE2B20.jpeg

All valid points but with the winch installed in the ARB bumper I feel that a front mounted one will suffer also plus I haven’t found a decent front mounted kit for a wide nose with 1HDTFT.
Running a small HPD ic on top of the 1HZ now and plenty of space there so that should be the same with the ft.View attachment 2321483
This is mine... can't really fit much more in front of it.

What kind of boost are you wanting to run? If low boost, you won't need anything serious, these motors came stock with no intercooler. Otherwise, I would be tempted to say that a stock 1vd intercooler would be the go.

20200229_132115.jpg

This is mine... can't really fit much more in front of it.

What kind of boost are you wanting to run? If low boost, you won't need anything serious, these motors came stock with no intercooler. Otherwise, I would be tempted to say that a stock 1vd intercooler would be the go.

View attachment 2321488
Living in TX every bit of help cooling things down is appreciated plus I have a hdj100 in europe that runs perfect stock with the fte and oem intercooler , if I can get this ft to run and pull trailers like my fte I am a happy camper.

A bit fiddle to fit, as mentioned can make maintenance a little awkward. I had it powder coated for some corrosion resistance being in the UK. Shouldn't be a problem in texas..

It does work really well though. Speaking to cross-country on the phone I was promised
It comes into its own on up hill drags with a increase in low down torque.
It didn't disappoint. I can go up some regular hills where I live in a higher gear.
I'm running my original ct 26 at 15 psi with a fuel pin grind. I also have a 3" exhaust.

I can actually get my near new oem clutch to slip if I'm not careful..

Here’s my cross country intercooler, I used a Nissan GQ one on the Toyota 80 series frame to fit my 80 series landcruise. The reason I did this is because I already had the intercooler of my td42ti nissan also the slightly bigger one for the 80 series that cross country sell probably wouldn’t allow me to access my automatic transmission dip stick. Works well & my EGTs have dropped about 100 - 150 deg C.

8AFCE7B0-93BF-40FA-970F-749B00F4A5A6.jpeg

9AD7EF0D-2A39-4948-A45C-396E67990D33.png

A bit fiddle to fit, as mentioned can make maintenance a little awkward. I had it powder coated for some corrosion resistance being in the UK. Shouldn't be a problem in texas..

It does work really well though. Speaking to cross-country on the phone I was promised
It comes into its own on up hill drags with a increase in low down torque.
It didn't disappoint. I can go up some regular hills where I live in a higher gear.
I'm running my original ct 26 at 15 psi with a fuel pin grind. I also have a 3" exhaust.

I can actually get my near new oem clutch to slip if I'm not careful..

I inserted metal rods in my cross country frame to allow me to take off just the front two pieces so I could do radiator or timing belt work etc without having to unbolt the whole intercoole. The photo shows my nissan frame but I also did my 80 series frame. Clued one end of the rods only, nice firm fit with no movemen.

55254034-4E2F-43C9-B677-312792F38E91.jpeg

7782F594-6DA9-407A-968C-04E99E75DFEB.jpeg

01F8A61D-58E8-4D92-87C3-5F95ED1E34FC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom