1HDt Injector Pedestal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CE785494-DC59-4FFB-9193-EDB7CA49C882.jpeg
Hey guys,
First post but I’ve been lurking for a while. I was doing the injector washers today and uncovered a nasty little surprise on my ‘91. The bolt wasn’t in there too well and half the pedestal was broken off.
I noticed there was lots of material left on the head, so I drilled and tapped the bolt hole deeper, and installed a longer bolt through the hold down. It torqued properly with the other ones.

Basically looking for some opinions on the fix. I took a feeler gauge to the other hold downs and it seems the hold down doesn’t actually make contact with the pedestal, but rather engages the dimple on one end, and the injector body on the other. I was able to tap almost a full centimetre so the bolt has plenty of bite in the head.

I realize the proper fix is to replace the head or at least take it to a machine shop to see if they can weld it up, but that would be a shame, as the engine is very new, and time is rather limited at the moment

It will probably be ok, but I would consult a machinist or a fuel injection shop. Fuel injection shops are usually experienced in broken off bits.
I probably would have consulted them before I started tapping.
I hope you have enough meat between the bolt depth and the compression chamber

I realize the proper fix is to replace the head or at least take it to a machine shop to see if they can weld it up, but that would be a shame, as the engine is very new, and time is rather limited at the moment
There are products engine shops use these days that are amazing - one Italian epoxy I forget the name of. A Machinist can definitely repair that as good as new, without welding or pulling the head. Where in Alberta are you?

Last edited:
It will probably be ok, but I would consult a machinist or a fuel injection shop. Fuel injection shops are usually experienced in broken off bits.
I probably would have consulted them before I started tapping.
I hope you have enough meat between the bolt depth and the compression chamber

I gave it quite the consideration, seeing as the pedestal was raised over the head, there looks to be at least a solid 3/4” of material between the bottom of the new hole and the combustion chamber. I haven’t been into the guts of the 1HDt, but I’m assuming the combustion chamber is flush with the bottom of the head like other diesels?

There are products engine shops use these days that are amazing - one Italian epoxy I forget the name of. A Machinist can definitely repair that as good as new, without welding or pulling the head. Where in Alberta are you?

Im in the Edmonton area. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to give a machine shop a call

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom