1HDFT Valve Cover Gasket Variations - PN Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Ordered a new valve cover gasket for a 1995 Non-EGR 1HD-FT 80 series. I am thinking there must be a couple of variations in how the cylinder head cover / valve train cover was drilled by Toyota, as the gasket supplied for the chassis number via PartSouq does not match the cover on the 80. Does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of a part number, or perhaps it is discontinued and I need to buy aftermarket from Aus (located in US).

First, the gasket and p/n ordered from PartSouq. This number seems to pop up wherever I put in the year/make/model or the chassis number as correct, but clearly it is not. Notice the two holes, one by the cam journal corner and the other only on the far injector side corner.
IMG_2108.jpg

Here is the actual hole pattern on the 80 series- it has 3 holes in the same location:
IMG_2183.jpg

Other difference was the number of hole on the exhaust manifold side of the gasket; there were two missing on the gasket supplied. All of the injector side holes matched.
IMG_2184.jpg

The gasket did fit in the groove, but it was a funky fit particularly on the rear exhaust side holes by the firewall. I didn't trust it enough to run it as it would be putting bolts past gasket that did not have holes cut for around the groove.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way as a redesign? Doesn't seem like it, and the gasket current on it did have all the holes for it. It has a slow leak, but nothing concerning. I was in there to tap a hole for the EGT so I figured I'd replace it at the same time, along with crossover tube gaskets.

Online I did find some aftermarket gaskets that appear to be correct, but the Toyota OEM ones I've found look the same.

See the three holes on cam-gear side of this gasket, for example: ROCKER COVER GASKET FOR TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 4.2 1HD-FT TURBO DIESEL 24 VALVE x1 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/291300507624

I have a 97 HDJ81V w/ 1HD-FT engine with EGR. Ordered the same gasket and it fit my valve cover perfectly. By the Japanese writing on the timing belt cover I assume that you have an HDJ81, but could it be an HDJ80?

I also noticed that you don't seem to have an intake heater... is it just not in the photos?

I have a 97 HDJ81V w/ 1HD-FT engine with EGR. Ordered the same gasket and it fit my valve cover perfectly. By the Japanese writing on the timing belt cover I assume that you have an HDJ81, but could it be an HDJ80?

I also noticed that you don't seem to have an intake heater... is it just not in the photos?
Yes, it is an hdj81. Also, it does have the glow screen; just not pictured I suppose.

Seems to me you may have a Yanmar VC gasket. The Yanmar is the FTE configuration but with the FT VC. The FTE has more mounting holes vs the FT for the VC.

Cheers

Seems to me you may have a Yanmar VC gasket. The Yanmar is the FTE configuration but with the FT VC. The FTE has more mounting holes vs the FT for the VC.

Cheers
How totally odd! Thanks for the reply Ian. Would you happen to know a P/N? Or can I just use any FTE gasket- non-marine or otherwise?

How totally odd! Thanks for the reply Ian. Would you happen to know a P/N? Or can I just use any FTE gasket- non-marine or otherwise?

Any FTE should work. It was an update Toyota did from FT to FTE.

Cheers

Also, what it says to me is your head has been replaced at some point. FTE head is still available while the FT is not. As a bonus whomever did it got the Yanmar VC. The Yanmar VC is not cheap at all too.

Cheers

does anyone know where is the PCV valve location on 1HD FTE 4.2 TD engine. ~thanks

Does it actually have a pcv valve? 1hd-ft simply has port at the top of the valve cover that vents into the air intake.
I really not too sure😅,because my engine is burning oil, so when i search most ppl to tell to check the PCV valve.

I really not too sure😅,because my engine is burning oil, so when i search most ppl to tell to check the PCV valve.

I checked, 1HD-FTE, just like the 1HD-FT and 1HD-T does not have an actual PCV valve, it simply has a breather tube that goes from the valve cover into the air intake pre-turbo. It's called blow-by. Because there is always some oil in the these gases, the turbo intake pipe will have a oil coating. Some of the oil in may also make it into the cylinders, resulting in blue smoke, especially while cold. To the extent that your engine is burning oil, however, this will be a symptom rather than a problem. The problem will be how excessive oil is getting into the crank case so as to be vented.

Some people install catch cans (crank case to catch can, catch can to intake) to separate the oil. This may be a good idea to see whether you are getting excessive oil in the blow by, but IMHO some oil in intake is a good thing as it lubricates the turbo.

Don't be confused between this (PCV / blow-by system) and the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). EGR system takes some of the exhaust gases from the exhaust manifold and, under certain conditions, vents them into air intake post-turbo, to go through the cylinders one more time. This is done for emissions reasons, but the result is some power loss and, after a time, horribly dirty cross over pipe (if you have it) and intake manifold - it will be have a layer of grime. This restricts air flow and introduces non-combustable matter (carbon) into the cylinders. Deleting EGR is usually recommended, although I don't know how it's done on the 1HD-FTE. The only connection between the blow by and EGR systems is that excess oil in the blow by will further bind the carbon in the EGR gases and make an even bigger mess.

I checked, 1HD-FTE, just like the 1HD-FT and 1HD-T does not have an actual PCV valve, it simply has a breather tube that goes from the valve cover into the air intake pre-turbo. It's called blow-by. Because there is always some oil in the these gases, the turbo intake pipe will have a oil coating. Some of the oil in may also make it into the cylinders, resulting in blue smoke, especially while cold. To the extent that your engine is burning oil, however, this will be a symptom rather than a problem. The problem will be how excessive oil is getting into the crank case so as to be vented.

Some people install catch cans (crank case to catch can, catch can to intake) to separate the oil. This may be a good idea to see whether you are getting excessive oil in the blow by, but IMHO some oil in intake is a good thing as it lubricates the turbo.

Don't be confused between this (PCV / blow-by system) and the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). EGR system takes some of the exhaust gases from the exhaust manifold and, under certain conditions, vents them into air intake post-turbo, to go through the cylinders one more time. This is done for emissions reasons, but the result is some power loss and, after a time, horribly dirty cross over pipe (if you have it) and intake manifold - it will be have a layer of grime. This restricts air flow and introduces non-combustable matter (carbon) into the cylinders. Deleting EGR is usually recommended, although I don't know how it's done on the 1HD-FTE. The only connection between the blow by and EGR systems is that excess oil in the blow by will further bind the carbon in the EGR gases and make an even bigger mess.
WOW, this is damn detailed explaination, yea i can feel the power loss already, i dont see too much of blue smoke from my exaust, it's just when i open the oil cap while the engine running, i do see alot smoke coming out. I am planning to clear my EGR system very soon, just waiting some parts, since i am in africa, deleting the EGR and replacing with oil catch can is not too much issue. Thank you for your explanation

WOW, this is damn detailed explaination, yea i can feel the power loss already, i dont see too much of blue smoke from my exaust, it's just when i open the oil cap while the engine running, i do see alot smoke coming out. I am planning to clear my EGR system very soon, just waiting some parts, since i am in africa, deleting the EGR and replacing with oil catch can is not too much issue. Thank you for your explanation
To be clear, deleting the EGR and installing an oil catch can are entirely different.

You delete the EGR by either removing the EGR valves and metal pipes and blanking the ports, or just putting a blanking plate where the EGR pipe connects to the exhaust manifold.

You install a catch can in the blow-by tubing.

If you have smoke coming out when you open your oil cap, you have bigger issues - sounds like a cracked head or blown head gasket. Are you loosing coolant? I would suggest starting with compression testing the cylinders and the coolant system (get an adapter for the rad cap, use a pump pressurize the system to 15 psi, and let it sit at least a few hours or overnight. If you lose pressure, good chance you have a cracked head).

To be clear, deleting the EGR and installing an oil catch can are entirely different.

You delete the EGR by either removing the EGR valves and metal pipes and blanking the ports, or just putting a blanking plate where the EGR pipe connects to the exhaust manifold.

You install a catch can in the blow-by tubing.

If you have smoke coming out when you open your oil cap, you have bigger issues - sounds like a cracked head or blown head gasket. Are you loosing coolant? I would suggest starting with compression testing the cylinders and the coolant system (get an adapter for the rad cap, use a pump pressurize the system to 15 psi, and let it sit at least a few hours or overnight. If you lose pressure, good chance you have a cracked head).
you scared me😲, i dont think i am loosing coolant, but my thermostat is always stuck open, i have order new valve gasket and head gasket already. i also had some minor leaking out the engine case.

Also, what it says to me is your head has been replaced at some point. FTE head is still available while the FT is not. As a bonus whomever did it got the Yanmar VC. The Yanmar VC is not cheap at all too.

Cheers

Hey Ian. Do you have the P/N for the Yanmar valve cover by any chance?

Cheers
I never updated here, but this is certainly the case. An FTE gasket is great.

I am working on a model to machine replacement covers if folks want them for FTE’s with the breather hump to the back for inter cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom