1HDFT rattling noise timing gear / injection pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

my name is Alex, i am from germany and i read a lot in ih8mud, thanks for all these informations, stunning! unfortunatly i have a rattling noise problem and cant find a solution. Would be great if you have some ideas...

After a injection pump rebuild i got a rattling noise. What i have already done:
- brought injection pump back to check again, nothing found, pump is fine (it was completely stripped again)
- dismantled timing gear and changed bearing of injection pump gear (9036360004) but obviously bearing was fine - no damage to see on the other timing gears
- removed acsd
- unbolt injection pump again and again, everything ist fine, bearing of injection pump gear is free and has a little clearance
- new timing belt including idler bearing - same noise
- run engine without belts - same noise
- run engine without power steering pump - same noise

But its still rattling... listen to the video below:

(listen from second 45)

Anyone ever heard before??

I could hear a rattling noise, it wasnt loud though. More like a high pitched vibration.

Hey, I had an identical noise on my FT and went through the same steps, even took the timing cover off and checked to make sure the timing gears were aligned. I never did find a smoking gun, but after putting it all back together the noise went away. The only thing I could think of was an air pocket in the fuel lines, try loosing the fuel line at each injector and crank until you get good fuel coming out of each.

Can be described as a high pitched vibration or pinging noise as well i think.

@Loober: Did you get the noise while driving or with a injection pump rebuild? Had the fuel lines out for three times already, cannot imagine there is still air in it - but i will try, thanks!

Found 3 or 4 similar problems in ih8mud, but no one did ever post a video or solve the issue...

It seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Is there something close by that could be loose? I seriously doubt this is an air problem and at road speed rpms it would be pulling upwards of 30 litres an hour with the excess going back to the tank.

Thanks for your answers. I already tried the linkage, no noise from there. My supposition is the timing gear, like Loober took off the timing gear cover and checked the timing gears - after putting it back together the noise went away... I dont know why, but something must be wrong in there in my opinion.

Any other ideas?

My supposition is the timing gear

The timing gears are big chunky things, I dont think they would make that noise if they were somehow loose .

Is the crank pulley ok? Can you see or feel any movement. A big screwdriver should be able to induce movement if its loose. I seem to remember they can make a rattle before they disintegrate, heaven forbid.

Last edited:
@Alex380 As I mentioned, I did not find a smoking gun with the timing gears, and how tight everything is I could not imagine those gears getting loose or skipping a tooth, its a s*** load of work taking all that apart, requiring the crank pulley to come off, which could be a huge PIA. But I was like you, at that point i exhausted all other measures, and it very well may have been some other part that required to be taken apart in the process. I was beyond frustrated, so I feel for you.

The crank pulley was removed as i checked the timing gears. Crank pulley seems to be fine, no movement to feel.
Injectors were rebuild with the injection pump. Pulled and tested them again after i heard the noise for the first time, but they were fine... i saw it by myself.

Hi, did you ever figure out what was causing your noise? Can you try something for me. while the engine is running and making the noise, pump the diesel primer ontop of the fuel filter. See if that changes the noise.

The crank pulley was removed as i checked the timing gears. Crank pulley seems to be fine, no movement to feel.
Injectors were rebuild with the injection pump. Pulled and tested them again after i heard the noise for the first time, but they were fine... i saw it by myself.
Did you ever figure it out? were the injectors retested after rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom