1HD-FTE bench starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys Im attempting to start my 1hd-fte in the garage before she goes in the 60 series cruiser
engine is from a 100 series cruiser and loom is hdj79 manual, iv got manual ecu, spill timing unit, 79 dash , and fly by wire throttle.
everything seems to be connect correctly The dash volts gauge and the two 4wd lights come on when ignition is turned on (maybe there should be more )?
iv connected all the body earths to ground and the engine, The engine cranks and im getting fuel out of the return line to tank but nothing from the injector pipes, I feel like something electrical isnt allowing the pump to provide fuel.
does anyone know if the 79 dash has engine check light or anything else not just 4x4 lights pre start ?
Im running out of ideas
also I did notice there are two plugs the same that fit the spill timing valve and not sure what one is the correct plug.

thanks NIck

Get yourself on fb page: 1hdfte conversion, there are a lot of people with good 1hdfte knowledge. Not too many people with this engine on this site actually.

Do you know how the 1HD FTE shuts or opens the fuel on the pump? They must have something like the 1HZ 1HD

Some of the wiring connectors have caused problems on a few 1HD FTE.
Is there a green plastic thing on the pump, near the injector valves? Sometimes touching them makes them work.

That’s a bit of a mish mash of parts... there might have been reports of spill drivers liking to be matched with the correct ecu, can’t remember exactly. Fuel cut off works completely different to 1hz/1hdt - instead of a fuel cut solenoid the spill driver does all the fuel control. There’s no simple on or off, more rapid pulsing.

First potential issue is immobiliser - is that a 100 or 79 ecu? If it’s a 100 you need the correct immobiliser/key set (and corresponding ignition barrel amplifier ring), or someone like thrashlux to turn it off. 79s don’t use an immobiliser. You must be using a pre 02 100 engine or I don’t think the plugs would work. The timing control valve plug has been known to play up but it won’t stop it starting.

You really need a wiring diagram or your fumbling about in the dark. You can flash engine codes, it may tell you why it’s not starting. Put your finger on the spill relay and see if it clicks when you turn ign on.
Have you earthed the spill driver directly to the battery? Where is your spill driver mounted? I don’t know in a 79 (although probably the engine bay fuse box) but a pre 02 100 has it in the LH kick panel fuse box, post 02 in the engine bay fuse box

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom