1HD-FT life span (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Have the opportunity of picking up a manual 80 series VX with a 1HD-FT engine for a reasonable price. However the mileage is 296000 miles which has me a little concerned....

What type of things could go wrong with engine and transmission with that type of mileage?

Thanks

Maintainance history should tell you quite about it .How about anything to everything. Get it inspected by someone who knows the trucks for a l iveing not the internet.

Well see, this is the point of an internet forum is it not? I'm not asking the state of this engine specifically - which I will take to a mechanic - rather if that engine is prone to any type of failure after extensive use.

Compression test will tell you most of what you need to know.

As what everyone else has said. Have a look at its service history. If it's had good maintenance there should be plenty of records of regular oil and filter changes, driveline oils, coolant, brake fluid e.t.c. Hopefully you can also see when it has had clutches and brakes, and that may give you an indication of how it's been driven. If it has been through a lot of clutches and brakes somebody has been driving it hard. Then you'll just have to have a thorough look at everything else.

The 1HD-FT is generally a very reliable engine, and wasn't prone to having any particular problems.

With those miles I would be worried about the fuel pump. They usually need replacing before the engine does.
The turbo versions generally dont last as long as the 1HZ. At 300000 miles ,I think you will be lucky to see 400000 without big bills.
Has it been used for towing?
Try and find out what major component have been replaced.
Its ok as long as you have it factored into purchase price.

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like these engines are pretty solid and reliable. Mileage was wrong, was only 192 116 miles, so thats a little less of a concern. What a difference from a 2H to drive though!

Had a good look at vehicle and documents that were available and it did look like it was having brakes replaced once a year, and seemed to have prop shaft work done quite a lot too. Didn't see anything gearbox or clutch related in the docs. All in all, vehicle didn't look like it had been very well looked after which makes me question the maintenance.

From what I could see, and I'm really not even close to an expert, there was oil on the ventilation hose, quite a lot on and under the EGR which was wiped away - if either of those make sense to have oil on. Front and underside of gearbox had coat of oil, grease build up on front steering knuckles so probably seals gone there and rear diff was sweating a little.

Compression test will tell you most of what you need to know.
I had two different well known Landcruiser based shops do compression tests on this 1HDT motor and both said it was good. I dont remember exact numbers but in the 420-450 range across all 6 and yet it still needed rebuilt and bored out .5mm over. Don't you think a leak down test would tell a better story??

Any used vehicle with 200K on it is a gamble at the best of times IMO

277.JPG

280.JPG

278.JPG

I had two different well known Landcruiser based shops do compression tests on this 1HDT motor and both said it was good. I dont remember exact numbers but in the 420-450 range across all 6 and yet it still needed rebuilt and bored out .5mm over. Don't you think a leak down test would tell a better story??

Any used vehicle with 200K on it is a gamble at the best of times IMO

Your story isn't clear. If it had good compression, then why did it need rebuilt? Were the compression tests done poorly?

Your story isn't clear. If it had good compression, then why did it need rebuilt? Were the compression tests done poorly?

I must say, up until recently i'd agree about the merits of a compression test, but seeing my engine with bores so glazed they look like a mirror still have the maximum spec of compression, maybe they were in fact done correctly.

Make sure the big end bearings are have been replaced very common for these to show wear at the 100,000 km mark

Big end bearing problems were fixed by the FT versions.

I must say, up until recently i'd agree about the merits of a compression test, but seeing my engine with bores so glazed they look like a mirror still have the maximum spec of compression, maybe they were in fact done correctly.

If it's glazed, but still has excellent compression, then does it matter?

After all. Compression is the goal.

First compression test was done as part of a pre purchase inspection as I bought it sight unseen. Second one was done to try and diagnose why it had a knock (the first shop failed to mention), which was also the reason I removed the head and the eventual rebuild. I have no idea if they tests were performed correctly? I'd like to think so but I dont have much faith in that first shop.

Wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread with my story but was trying to make the point and ask the question that wouldnt a leak down test provide more information and possibly diagnose an issue that a compression test alone would not

The 1hd-ft did not have the beb issues that the 1hd-t suffers from. The ft should be good if well maintained till at least 500kms, injectors and pump may need service sooner but the ft is a great smooth engine.

Big end bearing problems were fixed by the FT versions.

The 1hd-ft did not have the beb issues that the 1hd-t suffers from.

Over the years there have been sporadic reports of big end bearings showing issues with the FT's in Europe and Australia. Just not anywhere near as common as with the 1HD-T version engines. And as with all things as time moves forward, additional information, ideas and thoughts surface. At one point it used to be thought that these failures never happened in Japan as the JASO spec oils were saving the day. We now know that was not the case as the experience from many with JDM imports show bearings, which would have had a life of JASO spec oils, with issues.

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/80bigend.htm

There are a number of dead links from this page, but the titles mention 1HD-FT: http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/main_4x4.htm

OP, some good advice here: Have it inspected, do your due diligence and build some base-lining and repair factors into the price.

gb

Last edited:
Over the years there have been sporadic reports of big end bearings showing issues with the FT's in Europe and Australia. Just not anywhere near as common as with the 1HD-T version engines. And as with all things as time moves forward, additional information, ideas and thoughts surface. At one point it used to be thought that these failures never happened in Japan as the JASO spec oils were saving the day. We now know that was not the case as the experience from many with JDM imports show bearings, which would have had a life of JASO spec oils, with issues.

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/80bigend.htm

There are a number of dead links from this page, but the titles mention 1HD-FT: http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/main_4x4.htm

OP, some good advice here: Have it inspected, do your due diligence and build some base-lining and repair factors into the price.

gb
The ft engines are now almost 20 years old. Plenty of time to fail and yet bearing failures have been extremely rare. Likely the same as any other engine.

Some owners reported replacing the BEB on their 1HD FTEs 2 and 3 times. It was vastly improved over the 1HDT ,but not entirely eliminated.
Toyota mechanics privately acknowledged they had repaired others with BEB problems to some owners.

I think the difference is that with the 1hd-t. Everyone needed the BEB's changed.

The 1hd-ft(e) did not it was a possible issue but by no means a sure thing like the 1hd-t.

Reading most the cases of 1hd-ft beb issues looks like it was more a crank issue than anything else. Something with the machining was off on some that lead to bearing issues. I just can't find any info on years effected. It's intresting for sure and surprising from Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom