1999 KTM 640LC4 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...it's been sitting in my garage for about 8 months un-ridden.. i charged the battery, changed the spark plug, & put gas in and .... nothing. it turns over pretty strong and i can smell gas.. can anyone help me get this thing started? (i did not check the spark with the plug removed, i assumed a new plug would fire)..

Check and see if you have gummed up the carb with the gas sitting in it so long.

If that don't work, I'll take it off your hands.:D

Gummed up carb..

can i just spray something (cleaner) in there or should i take it apart?

splitshot: you have excellent taste in bikes

Last edited:
take it apart most likely..

They are not that tough..

splitshot: you have excellent taste in bikes

Thanks, been wantin' one of those...

BTW, same thing happened to my friend's XR, but he had a major mess (it sat for two years).

Stale gas and crud build up in the carb are standard.

Like Mace said, pull the carb and give here a clean up.

Rob

Its flooded thats why you smell gas - Pull the compression release in (the small lever) while holding this in with gas off ( at pet cock and at wrist) kick about 10 times to clear out the carb. Turn gas on no throttle at all and kick. Try this several times. If this doesnt work full throttle and kick once. Start over if it doesnt work.

If your doing this right and your bike ran good 8 months ago you should be fine. Once you get it started try to get new gas in there but you shouldnt have gunk in the carb its just flooded

I'm with CO Carlisle. Sounds flooded. Try tipping it all the way over to the right til fuel spills out (of the oveflow?) onto the floor. Why? No idea, but my XR always starts after I do that. Even after kicking the Hell out of it in the spring and nothing. Tipping it must clear something out when it's flooded.

If this doesn't work, find a steep hill, push, shift, jump, pop clutch, Whammo. You're running. Just make sure the hill is big enough or you'll look like an ass and will puke after 2 or 3 tries. That's a big bike :) Good luck.

Brian

CO Carlisle: good call.. i'll try when i get home..

"If this doesn't work, find a steep hill, push, shift, jump, pop clutch, Whammo. You're running. Just make sure the hill is big enough or you'll look like an ass and will puke after 2 or 3 tries. That's a big bike :) Good luck."

that's funny as hell!! i was coming home the other day and i saw this new rider at the gas station (sat on the bike w/no kickstand while refueling w/lights on). he must have just bought it from someone who relocated the license plate under the seat. he couldn't start the bike after fuelling so (maybe 'cause he left his lights on and needed a new battery anywayl), embarrassed, and feeling un-cool, he solicited the assistance of a gracious station attendant to help him push start. the attendant pushed while he kicked it into 1st and did a nicely awkward skid-stop a half-dozen times..
the attendant finally gave up on a lost cause so, visibly tired, and generously perspired, the noob pushed his bike down a slight grading that lead to a mildly raked uphill area.. my brother yelled to him "try using 2nd gear!" and he says "i know" but his soaking wet helmet said "i'm about to throw up"
BTW, i think he was riding an '05 GSXR 1000...

How long before gas goes bad? i can remember using gas that was at least 7 months old before...

8 months is a while but I would not think its bad.

When you get on today dont touch the throttle just one kick with the decompression and one big kick immediately after no gas. Repeat this.

The two kicks should take about 2 seconds to complete them total. The first with the decom lever gets the engine spinning the second with out the lever should start it.

When you kick turn the light switch on are you getting a faint light for a split second at the head light. If not get a new spark plug its fouled

Important - NO HAND THROTTLE TODAY, yesterday maybee but ttaday it should be cleared out

CoCarlisle you were right.. it started up yesterday but only with the choke on.. i let it run for about 2 min and then it started smoking.. i shut it down and when i noticed the smoke and i couldn't figure out where it was coming from.. so i started it again to see if it would start smoking but i didn't want to push it so i shut it down again and figured i would ping this off of you guys for suggestions before i start taking stuff apart.. the smoke smelled like a mixture of oil & coolant and i did notice some burnt off oil around the bottom of the pipe & manifold..

I'm still stuck on this part...

...it's been sitting in my garage for about 8 months un-ridden...

That's just wrong dude... :D

Blown head or base gaskets aren't uncommon on LC4's. Go search around on ktmtalk.com and see what you can find. Maybe do a compression check. Good luck!

I'm still stuck on this part...

That's just wrong dude... :D

Blown head or base gaskets aren't uncommon on LC4's. Go search around on ktmtalk.com and see what you can find. Maybe do a compression check. Good luck!

yeah, i've been working like a maniac lately.. I used to ride year-round, except when there was snow or ice on the road.. my car was my secondary vehicle for 3 years..

when i changed the oil, i noticed tiny metal chips coating the drain plug.. i think the PO may have embellished a bit about his maintenance routine.. i'll probably have to do a complete rebuild soon..

what about a fuel stabilizer? could this be the reason why it only runs with the choke on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom