1998 V6 tacoma issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully someone here can give me some ideas to what this issue could be. Here is the information about the truck.
I have a 1998 Ext Cab V6 4X4 limited with 171k on it. I have done the following within 10 k miles.....Plugs, Wires, PCV valve,Fuel Filter, all fluids changed out, Belts, Air cleaner, OME struts and shocks up front (2.5 lift) 3.5 inch sping lift in back, extended SS brake line in rear, and I am sure there is more but you get the picture.......I have taken pretty good care of it.

Now, here is the issue. When driving the truck at ANY speed, it seems to cut out or feels like the engine lost power for one second, then it drives like normal. There are no engine lights or codes being thrown. I had it down at the Dealer for 4 days and they were stumped. The strange part is that the issue "went away" for two months then last week, it started back up again. I took it to Toyoteck (shop in town that is pretty damn good) and they had to for three days...............and are stumped as well.:confused:

Does anyone have ANY ideas or thoughts on this matter? This is my wifes truck and I dont want her and our 5 year old daughter to be driving it around and then end up stranded due to this.

Thanks,
Chans

Sounds kinda odd to me, but it could possibly be a fuel pump on its way out--I doubt it, but possible. Can you hook it up to a scanner and check the fuel pressure? See if the pressure drops during or right before a cut out event.

Other things to check: Clean MAF and TB, run a bottle of injector cleaner through it, maybe try a seafoam treatment, and add one of those water absorber deals to ensure you don't have water in the fuel

Sounds kinda odd to me, but it could possibly be a fuel pump on its way out--I doubt it, but possible. Can you hook it up to a scanner and check the fuel pressure? See if the pressure drops during or right before a cut out event.

Other things to check: Clean MAF and TB, run a bottle of injector cleaner through it, maybe try a seafoam treatment, and add one of those water absorber deals to ensure you don't have water in the fuel

Thanks for the advice. A couple of things I did already were the seafoam cleaner and this morning changed out the fuel filter (again). Still, nothing changed. The shop actually hooked up a scanner/pressure tester to the fuel pump and ran the truck. There were no drops out of range in any are during driving. Strange.

I will check the MAF and TB again. The strangest thing is that the truck will not throw a singel code.........nothing. Never has.:confused:

I haven't really had to tear into my 3.4, but what about a bad coil pack? It it was on its way out, it could be shorting out intermittently....

did you replace with oem wires? or aftermarket ones? unless they're fairly new, i'd try putting oem ones in. also, could be injectors. maybe add a bottle of injector cleaner on your next fill up.

does this problem usually happen under slight throttle? or more wide open..or is it independent of the throttle position? and when the power cuts out..are you on throttle or is it at coast? does it sputter?

did you replace with oem wires? or aftermarket ones? unless they're fairly new, i'd try putting oem ones in. also, could be injectors. maybe add a bottle of injector cleaner on your next fill up.

does this problem usually happen under slight throttle? or more wide open..or is it independent of the throttle position? and when the power cuts out..are you on throttle or is it at coast? does it sputter?

I did replace with OEM wires, which was about 8k miles ago. I have ran two or three bottles of cleaner (that was my first quick fix but it did nothing).

The issue usually happens under any condition, as long as your giving it throttle. It doesnt sputter but just makes a sudden jolt. It takes less than a slit second but its a BIG jolt. I tried the clutch, thinking it was slipping but Nooooo, not that. So, I am at a loss.

:confused:

I haven't really had to tear into my 3.4, but what about a bad coil pack? It it was on its way out, it could be shorting out intermittently....

Ok, I am going to look into this coil pack thing. Who knows, it could be this. At this point I am not throwing anything out till I try and look to see if its causing the problem or not.

Since you are not throwing a code, it makes this very hard to diagnose. Perhaps the throttle position sensor or pedal travel sensor are going bad? A bad coil pack would almost certainly throw a code I think.

You could replace both of those parts for $100. The TPS is very easy, not sure about the PTS?

Also, have you tried asking at ttora.com? More likely to find a person who has dealt with the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom