For Sale 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (in MT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a feeler to sell my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Want to know if anyone is interested. I have a 2000 Tundra now and this is just taking up space because I do not drive it.

I will preface this ad by saying that it might be a good candidate for a straight-axel swap, or a body swap to a first-gen 4 Runner (always my dream).

It is a single cab, short bed, with manual locks/windows, no AC, no Cruise, no tilt wheel, 5-speed manual.

It has a few issues that are mostly cosmetic, a few mechanical.

I have had the truck for 2 or 3 years, and have put roughly 50,000 miles on it. I am OCD about maintaining my Toyotas and the oil was changed every 2200-3500 miles, with only Valvoline High Mileage Syn Blend, or full Synthetic 5-30. Gear Boxes changed every 8000-12000 miles.

This truck was rough when I got it, and it is still rough, but runs much better. The P.O. hauled a snowmobile in the back during the winter. I believe I changed the original front brake pads, and other original parts such as plug wires and stuff as I went through and started to do tune up and maintenance stuff. I have changed or replaced all sorts of things in the last few years such as all fluids, spark plugs, plug wires (could use a newer set), air filters, cleaned MAF, cap and rotor, battery, front brake pads, rear shocks, starter relay, fuel filter, ETC. Just replaced both headlights, and also have a set of front pads and rear shoes not installed yet.

With the camper shell in the photo attached (paint color on truck is different now), I got a steady 20-22 MPG in mixed city / highway driving, with the 5-speed manual!!!

The Good:
-2.7 L abosutely bulletproof 3RZ-FE with about 212,000 miles. Leaks or uses ZERO oil between changes! Gets 20-22 MPG in 2WD all the time (I run mid grade with Lucas gas additive).
-5 speed manual
-Manual 4x4 hubs
-low profile camper shell with kayak/roof rack
-New tires Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 in 235/75/15 (less than 5000 miles, I would say 85% or better)
-Front right bearing replaced with Toyota parts, front drivers side should be replaced as well
-Brand new Toyota Factory alternator
-Newer removable face Pioneer CD deck with AUX/Ipod input on the front of the deck, and a decent pair of Pioneer speakers in the doors. Plenty loud.
-Short-bed (6'2"?) and single cab = unbelieveable turning radius and maneuverability when wheeling

The Bad:
-paint is rattle can army green and flat black. It could be an epic camo painted truck with a few more cans. I did at least 3 layers of primer, and at least 5-6 coats of top paint, making this a solid rattle can paint job. (I can take pics of current paint, after gauging interest.)
-The front end needs addressed. It wanders and pulls sometimes. I never got to replace any of that in the 50,000 miles I put on it. Shocks and springs need replaced probably.
-The T-C is leaking out of both ends. I had a shop replace the seal on one side for around $100-150, but they used a NAPA part YEAH! It leaks again after about a year and a half. Not sure what the other seal would cost, but I believe the trans is a W54 or something that was used on 4 runners and Hilux trucks, so chances are YOU already have another T Case sitting in your shop. Heck, I might have a spare sitting in my shop.
-Plenty of dents and scratches, but thats what the rattle cans are for.
-Tailgate is blown out
-Rear springs and shocks need replaced, or at least an AAL installed (these springs are notorious for being weaker than the ones from 1998 on).
-Exhaust is original, and the tailpipe fell off of the muffler one of the last times I drove it. It is still hanging on the hanger though.
-One of the stock aluminum rims is bent, so it probably needs a different set of rims. I might be able to find some locally.
-P/S pump leaks a smidge, I just top it off ever few thousand miles.
-Bench seat has some tears in it, so it is covered by a seat cover.
-Rear PS tail light cover is cracked and yellow taped

Well that about sums it up. The truck has a different paint color and different tires and rims on it as of now.

Posting to gage interest on this running project. Would run and drive fine at highway speeds with a different T Case installed, or both seals redone.

Asking price is $3000 without the new tires. $3600 with the tires. O.B.O (no lowballers unless you are offering something in trade to offset my cash price)

I can put up some newer pictures in a few days, but wanted to see if anyone was really interested in this truck, as I know how hard they are to find.

It was the only first gen Tacoma for sale not at a dealer in the whole state of Montana when I bought it. I regularly see first gen Tacomas go for $5-7000+ around here with an extended cab with higher miles and worse body damage.

This is a long post, and considered FULLY HONEST DISCLOSURE. I will tell any potential buyers everything that I can remember about it, as I have been taken by a dishonest mechanic before myself and know how frustrating that feels. If i have forgotten anything, I will post it in the future.

P1010744.jpg

P1010739.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission and Transfer case is a W59 (not W54), and came standard on all first gen 4 runners and Hiluxes.

There is a W59 Trans/Transfer case combo for sale locally with 115K on it for $200. That would probably be cheaper than fixing the Transfer Case seals on my Tacoma's Transfer case, plus you would get an extra transmission for free. Also, a different T/C for sale locally for a W59 for $50 would be significantly cheaper than fixing the one currently on the vehicle.

Also, the frame was not replaced under the recall. It was first sold in Colorado at Burt Toyota, and I bought it in Montana, not sure of other states that it was in. It probably spent some time near the Rust Belt though, as there is some minor surface rust. I have wire wheeled and painted some of it in the wheel wells. There are no holes or swiss cheese though, or anything more than minor surface rust.

Last edited:
Here are some photos from today, and the current paint configuration.

The popup camper is not for sale. I REPEAT, the camper is not going up for sale with this truck.

If anyone is interesed through, it is Roamin' Chariot, handmade by a guy out of Spokane WA. I have personally only seen two others in person. Metal framed walls, insulated roof and floor, pop us like a wedge which works perfectly to point it into the direction of snow or wind. 2 burner, large table, 2 different beds. Dry weight around 800 pounds.

Do not believe he had made any in years...bit of a one of a kind, my best guess is that it was made in the 1980's or early 1990's.

custom grill took two hours and a lot of boredom.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

graffiti on driver's side door is a pumpkin carving template off the internet, which I cut out with an exacto, and used it to spay paint the Yoda on the door.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

BBTT

No interest? Nobody with an old Tercel 4WD Wagon to trade???
I would take ca$h + trade, and you could have a newer truck!

I am surprised nobody is interested in this to swap onto a first gen 4 runner or Hilux...:steer:

bump bump bump

S.F.S.

no bites yet.
SFS

bump bump bump

Price is $3000/OBO, and it needs the clutch replaced. Includes the Roamin’ Chariot camper as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom