Bandeirante 1990 Cabine Dupla OJ55LP-2BL - The Knowledge Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very Nice! Congrats!! Mine was imported by OverlandImports.com - and is all original.

Dear @1tontoy - Awesome truck! Was wondering if you do all the engine service yourself, or if you have found a solid mechanic who works and understands those diesel engines.

Looking to get one soon and would love your input! Getting parts shipped from brasil via Sedex straight to you has worked well?

So as this is now about 1 year old my 1995 Bandierante is being delivered this morning… your posts here have been the most information I have found anywhere. This 4 door version has a 14B and 5 speed.

I did discover that diesel fuel in Brazil is subsidized by the government, gas is not… given that, I’d run diesels on my lawnmower !

I did discover that diesel fuel in Brazil is subsidized by the government, gas is not… given that, I’d run diesels on my lawnmower !
It is in Germany as well, but that doesn't make it cheap. Actually diesel was really expensive and right now (May 2023) the prices coming down again and is now equal to gasoline.
Second fact: Diesel is not allowed in normal passagner cars. The vehicles need to have a minimum wheight (commercial vehicle) or have some kind of agricultural use (whatever that means). So a mid-size SUV with AWD can be diesel-powered, without AWD it's not possible. Or it must be a real (even little) truck, but then immediately a truck driver license is necessary.
At work we had that "fun" with a Mercedes Sprinter bus, we used as service vehicle. We had so sold it again, because not everybody had a truck driver licence.

Right now Diesel fuel has dropped from $5.09 / gallon about 6 months ago to $3.62 this morning

To all of the Bandierante owners…. I think we should get together and develop a co-op for obtaining parts. Clearly the companies that restore and import these trucks are able to get anything they need ..

I am having trouble finding a freakin oil filter and any manual to use as a guide of any kind.

I'm pretty sure those "importers" have direct connection to Brazil and get their stuff from there.

Buying in Brazil as foreigner is hardly possible, usually (and I don't mean that in a offendeing way), the world stops in Brazil at the Brazilian border. No Brazilian address, tax-number, bank account,... -> not possible to buy and pay anything.
Maybe there are some dealers, but they try to avoid the "trouble".

I would try to figure out, which parts are J4/J5 in generall and which are Bandeirante-specific. And then I would try to convert some things into more generic parts. The oilfilter of the 14B looks like a generic type of filter with a standard-thread. Like the type you'll find in other cras as well. Fuel-Filter the same. Maybe even the base can be changed, so standard-equipment can fit there.

Can a Brazilian citizen buy these parts and ship them to a friend in the US?

DOn't ask me how to clear those parts in the US (customs), but yes, that should be possible.

Usually the dealers need the tax-number of the customer to sell parts, it has to do with corruption-prevention etc. (lol). I even use my tax-number when I do the groceries in the supermarket.

Geez. Just to buy food you need a tax number? Wow…

No, it's not needed for food, but a Brasileiro is identified with the tax-number and so it's used in everyday-life and you can tell it the cashier and maybe you get some discounts. It also gives some discount at the yearly tax declaration, but don't ask me details, I'm just a resident.
BUT if I want to order online stuff -> tax number. If I want to sign up for a sport event -> tax number. Buying a vacuum cleaner -> tax number. Domestic flights -> tax number.

Maybe it works without, but you can see, how the Brasileiros getting stressed, because it would be "not normal" and they don't know how to handle. All the online-systems are made for Brasileiros and without the tax-number it's a big hassle. I could tell you long stories about domestic flights, check-in, etc ...

I can understand this…. In the US, there are Amish people. They work farms, livestock and keep to themselves, use no electricity and their clothes are mostly hand made. they have horse and buggy transportation and typically no ID.. some of them decided to leave the Amish world and fly to Florida. Trying to get on the plane was a story as you say

Joined also…good job !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom