1989 FJ70 Stereo Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone have experience in installing a double DIN head unit in a FJ70? There are only 2 speakers located in the dash and not very good. I want to install speaker pods I sourced from this forum and then add 2 more in the rear area. Probably will install a subwoofer under the passenger seat. There is a single DIN radio and a storage bin underneath right now. Will also put a backup camera, Anyone have some words of wisdom for my adventure?

Thanks!

Hello,

It is possible. However, from what you describe you should have a 10-pin connector in the harness, which is intended only for the two dash speakers.

Some double DIN radios plug into this 10-pin connector directly, some may not. Whatever model you use, make sure it is compatible with the connector. Otherwise, you may have to splice one in.

There are two side plates/gussets to fit a double DIN radio into the panel. You need to order them from Toyota. I do not have the part numbers at hand. Four screws attach each plate to the radio, and two to the panel.

You may want to replace the dash speakers with more modern units. This improves sound.

For rear speakers it is better to use an amplifier. Most amplifiers can connect to the main unit.

There is space for an amplifier in the rear inner panel, close to the rear wiper relay. From there you can route cables to the rear doors.

The best place for rear speakers is the rear doors: no need for a subwoofer, for the sound it very good in this setup. The dash/rear doors combination is a good one. You can also mount speakers in the side panels, but it is not as good in my book.

Regarding the backup camera, it is not a problem once the radio is installed.

Juan

check out history on RJ77 I had way back in 2019. hah.

added double DIN, dash speakers, and had rear 6x9 installed. FJ70 should be close on rear fitment. Also just put double DIN in PZJ75, same dash layout with dash and door speakers, added sub also behind bench seat...

I had jump seats behind the rears in RJ77. same setup as SWB FJ70 I have back home in US. ETA: will do same type setup on my FJ70 when I finally get back to US on rear speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom