SOLD 1987 4Runner 22RE 5-Sped Orlando (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 4Runner
Mileage
Color
rgb(251, 244, 244)
Im considering putting up the 1stGen 4Runner up for sale to free up driveway space and funds to get the other cruiser build going. I dont need to sell it, but putting it up to see if there is interest;)

So, 1987 4Runner that i've had since 2014 and have done a decent amount of work baselining it and plenty of add-ons. Truck is mostly stock, exteroir is good with only surface rust/patina in a few areas, but at the top of the fropnt quarters there was sone rust starting, which I have scrubbed, sealed and re-painted to protect it from further rust. The paint does need a good buffing if you want it to shine as it's got plenty of "character" and oxidization from sitting outside for a while. Interior is complete, and overall is good shape. Electronics are good with the exception of the power window module, it shorted out so I hard wired the windows to the battery through a 30a breaker. Factory cruise control works. The R134 conversion for the A/C is almost complete, just need to leak check and re-charge to make sure it all works. Runs great and gets 17-19MPG.

So, within 4 years and the last 15000 miles,

-new Davez Off-road 3-core radiator and hoses
-new alternator
-new water pump
-new distributer cap and wires
-new LCE injectors
-new Exedy clutch
-new Aisin clutch slave and master
-rebuilt F&R diffs by IPOR with 4:56 gears
-new Denso dryer and o-rings
-new Denso condenser and o-rings
-new OEM R134 Hi and Lo side fittings and o-rings
-new Denso AC compressor
-rear ARB locker
-ARB compressor
-ARB front bumper
-ARB torsion bars
-ARB shocks and steering damper
-ARB 2.5" medium springs
-4x4 Labs rear bumper with tire carrier and can basket
-IPOR weld on sliders
-LCE Headers
-Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" pipe
-33/10.5R15 BFG ATs with ~15K miles on them.
-Procar Elite lumbar seats on custom fabricated brackets
-Shoulder belts added to rear seats.
-Tuffy center console
-new 70-series mirrors
-new OEM front door weatherstripping
-new OEM window runs
-New windshield in 2014, all corrosion fixed on windshield frame, all trip pieces present.
-The power windows hard wired into the battery on a 30a breaker and two dipole switches on the center console.

The bad:
-T-stat sticks for a minute on warm up, but operates fine once it initially opens. New one in hand.
-It’s got a small oil leak, I think maybe valve cover, not sure. But it does “consume” a little oil over time and leaves the occasional love stain every now and then. The head was off recently and no issues with the top end or no smoking at all and compression was good on all 4 cylinders. Just likes to occasionally mark its territory.

Included extra parts
-new Aisin water pump
-new Denso evaporator
-new Aisin Thermostat

The HiLift, fire extinguisher, shotgun and rack, Japanese plate, and TLCA badge on the bumper are not included with the truck.

I'll add other stuff as I think of it.

I don't need to sell it, but if I can move it to free up space and $$$$, then bonus. Looking to get $7500.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
89750636-9A5F-483B-9525-2CAA2C340C3B.jpeg
65809924-F6F3-49BA-B134-B13E68F5FAD1.jpeg
B9227F99-D421-42AF-8307-230F10101C10.jpeg
A1C5090B-5057-4496-B26B-0876A1B79FC9.jpeg
1009F31D-2691-446C-91C7-38F468FFA251.jpeg

Looks great. What does the odometer read for mileage. Do you have rear seat head rests? Do you still have the original SR5 cloth adjustable front seats? How is the exhaust and frame rust? Will pass onto a friend to look at.

Rear headrests were MIA when I bought the truck, the original seats are long gone and were in pretty rough shape. 236K on the milage and is correct. Exhaust is all stainless except for the last foot or so where there is a resonator installed. Frame is solid, surface corrosion only, no rot or penetrating rust that I have found.

I’ll be adding more pictures today or tomorrow to cover those areas.

thanks

Last edited:
Looks very nice! I've had an 85 4Runner for 20yrs so this looks very familiar. Has the clutch been replaced at some time. Was the head rebuilt with new valve seals and head gasket. That and timing chain tensioner (leading to other wear issues) seams to be a few of the common failures for the 22RE.
IMG_20190828_080722~2.jpg

It's been a fun truck for sure, I just don't drive it as much as I used to and size-wise is not as practical for the type of wheeling/camping I'm into now.

All proceeds will go to getting the FZJ-105 up to snuff;)

BC03EBEF-F867-40CF-BE85-BCFEBEB0079D.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that is a sweet rug. Does that still run a solid front axle with coils like the 80 Series? Notice the RHD. Maybe a manual as well? It's not 25yrs old yet so is it registered in US?

Also noted the Japanese plate on the 4Runner. Is the 4Runner a US spec?

Wow that is a sweet rug. Does that still run a solid front axle with coils like the 80 Series? Notice the RHD. Maybe a manual as well? It's not 25yrs old yet so is it registered in US?

Also noted the Japanese plate on the 4Runner. Is the 4Runner a US spec?

The FZJ-105 is essentially an 80-series chassis with a 100 series body with a 1FZ that has electric ignition, no distributor.. Nice as all the suspension stuff is all 80-series however adding things like bumpers and sliders is a little harder as the US spec 100 series stuff doesn't bolt on.

The 4R is US spec, just sporting my old plate from Japan;)

Oh... The best of an 80 and 100 series in one package. Very, very nice! Surprised the US aftermarket does not bolt up easily.

Noted on the 4R. Did you note if the clutch was done. I passed onto my fried but it's Christmas and all.

I've gotten used to the RHD with my FJ40 LX spec. imported from Australia. It is not difficult on two lane roads but I haven't had any highway travel/passing people experience..... Go figure! Otherwise a great machine which puts a big smile on my face.

IMG_20190730_213223~3.jpg

Ok, new dash pad is on and new door seals and window runners are installed.

I pulled the Alpine Headunit and went back to factory with a GROM BT unit, so stock look with Bluetooth.

7BB8EDC9-FFC9-4095-92B2-6EC602CD8594.jpeg

New Denso compressor and all the R134 conversion stuff installed, it goes in next week for leak check and re-charge.

077D0D50-3544-458F-9329-E365773D3B6E.jpeg

Next project will be new extended brake lines and dual diaphragm booster and 1” master. Will set it up nice for eventually adding the V6 calipers and FJ60 cylinders on the rear drums.

4FD4F36F-1200-456B-8E98-C5D9FD1D7DCE.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the wife did say I should be practical; and a four cylinder certainly is practical.

Well, the wife did say I should be practical; and a four cylinder certainly is practical.

I'm just happy I got the A/C working. Summers in Central Florida suuuuuuuck without it.

I do still need to hunt down an electrical gremlin with the AC, I had to bypass the clutch with a hard wired switch, not sure if it’s the low pressure switch or the relay. But, it works.

The 1” master and dual diaphragm booster has been a nice addition, granted with the little extra oomph, it is apparent that I need some new drums on the rear:doh:

8B7088CE-E301-44B8-934B-FB51F0488646.jpeg

Is this beautiful 1st gen still available?

Yes it is.

Update on working off the little stuff.

It’s in getting a new windshield this week, friggin rock took me out the other day. I changed the oil and replaced the PS and alternator belts. And as an extra added bonus, after switching away from synthetic oil, the oil leaks seemed to have stopped. Guess the older seals didn’t like the Mobile 1. I also had a quieter muffler put in and had the tailpipe rerouted and tucked in nice and tight and an getting the drums turned and new shoes for the rear brakes.

Only issue it has now is the Pittman arm and at least the DS lower ball joint need some loving. Had it up on jack stands and there is a little clunky-clunk going on. I have to figure out exactly what it is. So, that may cause me to raise the price a bit depending on what all parts wise need to be replaced as thems shïts ain’t cheap:doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom