1982 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POS VETT

Courier Extraordinaire
Threads
1982 FJ-40 - Pics Too

So, JimC's comment about my Land Cruiser has piqued my interest about bringing it into US. I talked to my Dad and he said it costs about $2k to bring it over, FOB California (I think he said Huntington Beach). That's the shipping cost alone.

I posted here to find out more about making the LC road legal. I also found these two NHTSA publications/issues regarding the conversion. Docket numbers 4072 and 3715 show some of the necessary steps (I think), I'm not too clear.

So, if anyone can tell me pointers, maybe what happened once it reaches CA or even help with conversion, I really appreciate it. Can the LC be driven out of the port right away or do I need the conversion even before I can take it home ? Questions like that are what I have now.

In any rate, hi all, I'm a newbie. LOL.

Last edited:
Hey Tom--

If you go to the "international" cruisers section above, there are lots o links about importing cruisers into the States.

You can also contact some of the Canadian vendors as they do import Japanese vehicles into Canada, as well as vehicles from other countries.

Get to work so we can see this beaut.!

Best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH

I think the truck need to be 25 years old to be able to be brought to US. Which wold take 2-3 more years depend on when the truck was build. But any paperwork from Indonesia could be bought :rolleyes:
That would be cool to bring it to US though.

Augie said:
I think the truck need to be 25 years old to be able to be brought to US. Which wold take 2-3 more years depend on when the truck was build. But any paperwork from Indonesia could be bought :rolleyes:
That would be cool to bring it to US though.

It doesn't need to be 25 yrs old. But, if it's 25 yrs old, a whole bunch of paperwork can be skipped and being 25 is only a couple more years. In any rate, here are some pictures.

This first picture was taken circa mid '90s when the resto-mod process was finally done. It rode on 35" BFG MT. The rear fenders weren't even trimmed and w/o flares. Snorkel was still nonexistent.
aorxp5.jpg

The rest were taken about a year or so ago. The BFGs were dry rotted by then and started to fall apart, so my Dad sold the wheels and tires. Since it was thought to never see any more off road actions, some civilized tires were installed and it now runs 17" wheels. It now also has AC and tinted windows and probably some crude stereo system. Things that I would never have installed in the first place.
aos0og.jpg

aos3fd.jpg

That picture look familiar. I seen those before.
I believe the conversion are needed if you going to get it insured and registered. You should be able to get it shipped to Columbus.

Augie said:
That picture look familiar. I seen those before.
I believe the conversion are needed if you going to get it insured and registered. You should be able to get it shipped to Columbus.

Some other pictures are floating somewhere on the internet. Here are two of them, scroll down to the bottom for the first one:
- Site 1
- Site 2

Last edited:
zetasig said:
Holy inspector Clusoe ff rear axle?

Yes, that's a full floater :)

My Dad managed to locate a rear axle out of a 45 many years ago, can't remember what year 45 it was. The rig is actually a bit of a Frankenstein. Originally, it's an '82 with 3sp and semi floating rear. I grabbed the '69 4sp tranny and transfer case out of my Dad's '69 FJ-55 that has been converted to diesel (Mitsubishi 4D72, that rig was sold about 7-8 years ago) and sold the 3sp.

There are stories behind the rig and mods list is somewhat long, including a modified correction kit (look at the 3rd pic, notice how far the front spring eyelett from the chassis) and over-axle in the back, but the front maintained the under-axle config. Someone offered my Dad 200 million rupiahs (US$20k) for it and he said no :doh:

Last edited:
Wow, those bring back memories. That's almost exactly how mine was restored, except three different bodyshops and a fabrication shop were used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom