SOLD 1978 Toyota Mini (sort of) 53k Miles, Chinook Omega (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. Minitruck
Mileage
Color
white
I wasnt sure where to put this ad but I bought it because it is a super nice orginal mini so Ill put the ad here in the mini section.
It is a super clean '78 Toyota Chinook Omega with 53k orginal miles. It has a 20 R with a 4 speed.
We just bought this end of last summer as a total impulse, from a guy that camped with his young family. We don't really need it or have much time to use it. We have other means to camp.
I would consider trades, up or down or even, for the right stock and in decent shape, rust free 80 or 62 that my whole family could drive (auto trany).
This '78 has a new chassis AC added recently, reciept $1,341. Works great.
The RV AC also blows cold.
New engine water pump and cooling fan clutch and tie rods (have receipt).
New headlights.
It has a back up camera that works.
Air bags on the rear axle that adjust on the fly with a gauge.
Dual battery.
2 small solar panels on the roof.
Electric portion of the frig works good. I never added LP to the tank to test that function on the frig.
It does have a small water tank with a hand pump at the sink, I have not tried that because I did not need it and didnt want to winterize it just to test it.
It has a microwave oven.
It has new in the box chemical potty since it doesn't have a bathroom. This fits perfect in the back corner.
This Toyotas drives, shifts, brakes and handles great, you wont get any where super fast but I have no doubt on its reliability.
The amount of looks and attention this thing gets is very entertaining and hilarious.
It is super clean, and original. Body and paint is all original.
Located in NE Indiana.
$7,900
1978 Chinook front.jpg

1978 Chinook Driver.jpg

1978 Chinook Pass.jpg

1978 Chinook rear.jpg

1978 Chinook Engine.PNG

Good luck Tom! Sorry to see that go.

It has the real glass windows, not plexiglass.
That's a bonus, so I'm told.

Hey there! Beautiful camper! I am actually looking at the exact same one for sale here in Canada. It's funny as it is being sold by a dealer for $21K CAD, approx $17k USD. The ad is here 1978 Toyota Chinook Omega | RVs & Motorhomes | Moncton | Kijiji - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/moncton/1978-toyota-chinook-omega/1526239025 I was looking to find out more info for these Chinooks. It's good to know some of the work you've done! I will talk to the dealer selling it as well. I am not sure if these have gone up in value a bunch. I was thinking $14k USD seems reasonable. Good profit on their end for a flip! I am hoping I can work out this deal and own it for many years and share videos of my adventures! My wife and pup are also super excited if we can get this.

Hey there! Beautiful camper! I am actually looking at the exact same one for sale here in Canada. It's funny as it is being sold by a dealer for $21K CAD, approx $17k USD. The ad is here 1978 Toyota Chinook Omega | RVs & Motorhomes | Moncton | Kijiji - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/moncton/1978-toyota-chinook-omega/1526239025 I was looking to find out more info for these Chinooks. It's good to know some of the work you've done! I will talk to the dealer selling it as well. I am not sure if these have gone up in value a bunch. I was thinking $14k USD seems reasonable. Good profit on their end for a flip! I am hoping I can work out this deal and own it for many years and share videos of my adventures! My wife and pup are also super excited if we can get this.
Yep thats it. I bought it the way it sits.
Typical dealer, just a flipper when he actually tells you (me) something else.
I stored it for him for free for a few months, at his asking price I should of charged him a couple grand a month.
If you are going to commit to it for that kind of crazy money (14k is crazy), make sure you have a guarantee that all of the systems work flawlessly because i never used the pluming or much of the electrical. Also if you have never drove one of these make sure you are also familiar with how it drives before you commit.
Good luck, please report back how this goes for you.

Hello Gappy,
I am the guy who purchased your $7900 Chinook RV from Pine Acers in Canada. For $18K, OUCH! I can only say that timing is everything. This Chinook is in immaculate condition, and at 45yrs old, as long as I take good care of it while using it. I believe I won't lose much when I sell it. Being a Classic it should hold it's value well. Although I didn't buy it to sell it, I bought it to fill a part of my Bucket List. The Chinook has been admired by me since the Seventies. I was looking for a small RV, and when I saw this 78 Chinook online? Wow, it's one of those things in my head that said? That's it! That's the one! Unfortunately these guys wouldn't come down at all on the price.
For whatever it's worth, after 30 plus yrs living in Hawaii, I left 4yrs ago to come to Florida to be a caregiver to my mother at 93yrs young. Well.... (Bless Her Heart) My mother at 96yrs passed, and I now want to go back to Hawaii. I have a couple of spots picked out to park on Oahu's North Shore. There are other islands to hang out on as well Filling part of my Bucket List. You see? It was all meant to be, Just my Dog and Me. This Hippy Hasn't been this Happy since Wood Stock!

Chinook,
ALOHA

Hello Gappy,
I am the guy who purchased your $7900 Chinook RV from Pine Acers in Canada. For $18K, OUCH! I can only say that timing is everything. This Chinook is in immaculate condition, and at 45yrs old, as long as I take good care of it while using it. I believe I won't lose much when I sell it. Being a Classic it should hold it's value well. Although I didn't buy it to sell it, I bought it to fill a part of my Bucket List. The Chinook has been admired by me since the Seventies. I was looking for a small RV, and when I saw this 78 Chinook online? Wow, it's one of those things in my head that said? That's it! That's the one! Unfortunately these guys wouldn't come down at all on the price.
For whatever it's worth, after 30 plus yrs living in Hawaii, I left 4yrs ago to come to Florida to be a caregiver to my mother at 93yrs young. Well.... (Bless Her Heart) My mother at 96yrs passed, and I now want to go back to Hawaii. I have a couple of spots picked out to park on Oahu's North Shore. There are other islands to hang out on as well Filling part of my Bucket List. You see? It was all meant to be, Just my Dog and Me. This Hippy Hasn't been this Happy since Wood Stock!

Chinook,
ALOHA
Congrats on your purchase regardless of the price. I hope it brings you lots of joy. God bless you for completely altering your life to care for your Mom and sorry to hear of her passing. I wish you the best!
Once you get resettled on the islands please post a pic or two here.

@Chinook52 i would strongly suggest you aply fluid film/woolwax to the undercarriage of your truck. Pressure wash the undercarriage of any dirt/salt and then heavily coat it with fluid film one a year. While i have not lived in Hawaii, it sure seams that the cars out there are covered in rust pretty quickly.

Hello Gabby, and fellow forum friends, I appreciate your suggestions. I can use all the help I can get. I was wondering about why the undercarriage was so clean, I plan on doing whatever it takes to keep this Chinook pristine. I never heard of Fluid Film/wool wax. One of the reason why I purchased this Chinook was that the undercarriage was flawlessly clean. Also in your photos, in the back, I seen the corner photo of a Dry Toilet. I don't see it in any of the resent photos from Pine Acers. It looks like someone most likely needed it more than me. I'm fairly sure that I will have to Install most of the equipment, like.....? Off the grid capabilities, Generator, much larger invertor, Propane & Propane tanks, stove, etc. I welcome any ideas from anyone who is willing to help. I am excited to be flying to Maine with my Dog. It's going to be lots of fun picking up this RV and take my time Driving it back to Florida. I'll keep you all up to date.
Thank you,
CHINOOK52

I suggest joining some dedicated forums for RV’s or Chinook or something. I’m not familiar with any. You will see minimal input here on a forum really dedicated to 4x4 Toyota’s.

I suggest joining some dedicated forums for RV’s or Chinook or something. I’m not familiar with any. You will see minimal input here on a forum really dedicated to 4x4 Toyota’s.
I appreciate your help, your right about trying to find a Forum to help me stay on top of my RV, Thank you

Did these never even have an out door shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom