Builds 1978 FJ40 Mustard Yellow - almost perfect thread. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah but they are really really cool wheels …..

FJ Company alloy with clips. 16x6…..light, light.

59D4AE9E-978A-4775-A54C-5E20FB975FB3.jpeg

Booya

Those are some sweet wheels...!

I looked into buying a set a while back but was told not for sale...

I assume by your picture either that’s changed or @jomelo has some leverage with these guys... 😎

Those are some sweet wheels...!

I looked into buying a set a while back but was told not for sale...

I assume by your picture either that’s changed or @jomelo has some leverage with these guys... 😎
They are for sale. Have been delayed a few months but finally showed up.

Probably because they hang with a fast crowd. :smokin:

John gave me a couple days off to go swipe a 40 to be my next shop project for a local guy

Jason from Powder Keg came up to confirm the mustard color for the hump and tank cover

The guy that bought Mustards driveline is coming today so I’m stepping and fetching for that too.
713F0B5E-0507-4180-AB53-753270567AE3.jpeg

Oh and my FJ55 is getting picked up in the am so it’s getting the new owner walk around videos and s healthy dose of fluid film as well.

While I had the tractor moving it’s time to place this beautiful Valley Hybrids unit on the jack.
0D4E2BD4-77C5-488D-B993-48F797E653F0.jpeg

@orangefj45 said this about Lockwood’s unit. I’m not sure how he knows this

35E917F1-A4F1-42F4-8CF9-309816812C96.jpeg

6E307688-C407-4F1A-8D7E-43A38F1AA95F.jpeg

Wrong color tractor.

Funny you say that. The big tractor had to go back to doing real work and I used the Kubota to load the old stuff for these guys and the pallet lifted the ass end of the Kubota up. I have been meaning to fill these tires with water but I only remember on times like this

CC595A8E-DB6A-44D5-97C8-2D2DA7B3D593.jpeg

So I got everyone cleared out and was able to get the trans/transfer in place and then I mocked up the 3 piece crossmember.

I’ve got a problem now. This “formula” has worked for me on my 40, another 40, my 55, another 55 and my 45.

Add a 3 piece center section of a 60 crossmember and use whatever you need to make it talk to the frame.

It would be perfect except for the 2 piece header Union pipe. It wants to go right through the crossmember.

I’m either going to have to get the exhaust guy to mod the cross pipe or do a modified crossmember.

I’ll seek consultation.

Meanwhile. She’s all in and I can measure for driveshafts and get that all going.

2C5BDE5E-9AD7-40BB-9837-9C1886A96094.jpeg

2630E49B-1781-435D-937A-E5A0C78E4CC5.jpeg

Last edited:
3F bellhousing doesn’t move the driveshaft away from the crossmember. It moves it towards it.

No. It clocks everything counter clockwise which is up and away from the passenger side crossmember.

I used one on my FJ45 and discovered it. Never knew actually.
3F bellhousing doesn’t move the driveshaft away from the crossmember. It moves it towar

EDiT… sorry. Clockwise.

Last edited:
So I got everyone cleared out and was able to get the trans/transfer in place and then I mocked up the 3 piece crossmember.

I’ve got a problem now. This “formula” has worked for me on my 40, another 40, my 55, another 55 and my 45.

Add a 3 piece center section of a 60 crossmember and use whatever you need to make it talk to the frame.

I used a 3F stamp bell housing (85-90) that clocks everything up a bit on the passenger side. This is what Toyota did to move the front shaft up and away from the crossmember.

It would be perfect except for the 2 piece header Union pipe. It wants to go right through the crossmember.

I’m either going to have to get the exhaust guy to mod the cross pipe or do a modified crossmember.

I’ll seek consultation.

Meanwhile. She’s all in and I can measure for driveshafts and get that all going.

View attachment 2788076

View attachment 2788077
I was reading a header thread this morning where someone casually commented that these MAF required some adjusting. Bummer.

I used a 3F stamp bell housing (85-90) that clocks everything up a bit on the passenger side. This is what Toyota did to move the front shaft up and away from the crossmember.

I’ll seek consultation.

View attachment 2788076

View attachment 2788077

Change out the bell housing to a pre-3F.

Change out the bell housing to a pre-3F.

It’s not the bellhousing that’s the problem. It’s fine. In fact it would work perfect with a standard header. I’ll figure it out but it’s going to take more work than normal.

Wouldn't modifying the crossmember be much easier? Seems like modifying the exhaust would be a real pain.

Neither is going to be easy but we will figure out which is the better option. I can keep moving. This won’t stop progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom