1974 FJ40 Help.. Central Massachusetts Area...or further (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,(this is what I posted in the 40/55 tech forum before I realized you were here)

I'm a new member and have a running, driving, stopping 1974 FJ40 with a rotted out tub(I'll post pics up soon)....I just picked up a 1972 1/2 tub in good shape that I plan on using. What would be my best option of where to buy the front floor pans?

I've wanted one of these for 10+ years and actually traded a 10 year old BMW to get this

Can anyone recommend a good shop, or home shop that can turn my 1/2 tub into a 3/4 tub so I can just mate it up the the firewall? I'm looking for someone who does soda blasting, welding and possibly epoxy primer(although I don't mind trying that myself)....really just need someone to make my tub whole and sturdy. I don't mind trying the welding part myself but maybe easier to pay someone to do it. I'd like to do a lot of the stuff myself....looking for any like minded people or clubs in the area. I've had Jeeps for the past 15 years but really looking forward to restoring this one.

Thanks,
Bob

btw, I went to the Yankee toys site last before and just figured out today thanks to another forum member that there was a sub forum just for you guys

Last edited:
Locally, I know that lots of folks from the club recommend Tyke at Poor Wally's. I think you can get in touch with that shop via @fourlow&go .

I'm sure other club members will chime in with other good leads.

Locally, I know that lots of folks from the club recommend Tyke at Poor Wally's. I think you can get in touch with that shop via @fourlow&go .

I'm sure other club members will chime in with other good leads.
Sorry, should have mentioned Wally's is in southern VT. Where in central MA are you located?

I'm in Central Mass and Wally did my tub. If you want to come check out Wally's work you can come see my 40.

Last edited:
I'm going to give Wally a call and get his recommendations......It looks like he may make the sturdiest stuff out there. With half of my tub in good shape I'm unsure if I want to mate it with a heavier gauge steel for the front floor pans. Are there any recommended replacement floor pans that are close to the original stamping? I may just try to weld them up myself or find someone a little more local to me to patch them in. I also heard that Wally is extremely busy, especially this time of year. I hoped to get it done fairly quickly so I could use the 40 this summer.

Hello Bob
Welcome to the club! You are correct in that we are very busy at Poor Wallys, the waiting list is long. A good thing for us, not so much for others.
I personally have not used Real Steel floors on a tub, but I have seen them in person and we also have a set of their quarters in house, and the quality is good. You might want to go that route, if you do I'd like to hear your thoughts on them.

Thanks for the info.... I really appreciate the feedback. Real Steel is the main place I was looking at. I think they had what I needed with maybe the exception of the gas tank well. I'll have to look but mine may be fine. Actually my truck came from Vermont and has front steel plate floors that are very sturdy I could probably just make those up with the rear tub and call it a day. I'll for sure let you know what I think of the quality if I go that route. I'm going to fall the Lincoln log on tonight and pay my $55 dues for the club.

Bob

Get on Poor Wally's waiting list. It's the only way to go. Check out the "Beep Beep Truck" post above. They know Cruisers and do good honest work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom