1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all. I talked to Georg @orangefj45. He's going to put a set of 33x10.5s on OEM wheels on it and see how they fit with the stock suspension and how the truck feels with the rubber overdrive. I sent him some OME shackles and a set of Boss Airbags, trying to stay with stockish height and the softer springs. He says the truck goes so well maybe we shouldn't fix what isn't broken. More to follow.

Well I keep trying to shift into 5th in my '77.......seriously.

I love driving it around town but I'm not going to Montana in it anytime soon. I would keep the 3 speed for now; go to 33" BFGs and definitely do the OME 70 series suspension upgrade. Look at my thread and you can see how that looks. Definitely higher than "stockish" but doesn't look lifted.....at least not to me.

Of course at the end of the day it's yours and you should move forward with no regrets. Do what you really want and don't look for reasons or other's opinions that supports not doing what you want to do.

My argument is always this.....what’s it going to take and in the end is it worth the money AND effort.

These trucks are at 2850 (ish) RPM.

GPS verified top picture was 72 mph (32.5” tire, 3.70, H42)

bottom picture 78 mph.(32.5” tire, 4.11, H55)

2BE012E1-16B0-4510-9A15-77300737B332.jpeg

I have had my truck for almost my whole life. It came with the 3 speed and factory 4:11 differentials. It has been driven that way from one coast to the other and one border to south of the other border. Most of the time it was pulling a heavy camping trailer. Then we installed a Fairey overdrive unit which was different and useful but ultimately I would not recommend. It also four wheeled great in that configuration. Then I put 33's on it and it wheeled even better. That is Colorado wheeling above 10000 feet. I drove it a long time like that because I didn't have the money to change it. Then I put in the four speed and it snow balled from there. I would eventually like to put in the 5 speed too. My point is: none of us build these for speed and I have been able to enjoy it in every stage that it has been in. Stick with the 3 speed and enjoy it until you change it. Any way you do it should be enjoyable in some way for you. I know my opinion is not popular, but neither is my truck configuration in the eyes of many others.
P.s. I have always wanted to figure out how to couple the 3 speed behind the 4 speed like a semi truck!

NavyDoc,

You need to really think about what you're going to be doing with it. If you're planing on traveling with it like me, then "spending money" is going to be your middle name. If you're just going to Home Depot and get coffee, then leave it as is. That three speed on the tree is not going to be good for much other than coffee and that's cool, too. I like the idea of the 4 speed with the 4.11s and 33" tires, pretty good compromise all around. Saving it for another project might never happen, if you know what I mean.
Believe Scraps’ advising what’s called a “rubber overdrive.” Works pretty well.

...going 78mph in piggie must be a rush :steer::steer::steer:. Until I do some other upgrades (front disc brakes, steering rebuild etc.) the non-overdrive transmission is considered a safety feature.

Last edited:
...going 78mph in piggie must be a rush :steer::steer::steer:. Until I do some other upgrades (front disc brakes, steering rebuild etc.) the non-overdrive transmission a considered safety feature.
Much truth here. 55 in my 40 seems like a completely reasonable top speed with its OEM equipment.

I've been in jail a few times myself. Eventually, she gets over it and I still have whatever aggravated her. Gotta think long term...

Best lesson I learned from marriage number 1 was Separate Accounts ;)
Yes and hell YES! On separate accounts! :cheers:

Probably not a ton of highway use except to get to other parts of VT or NH. An hour or two, not a day or two like out west.

my .02 - What I wish I had on my 55 is a 5 speed. I do drive 3+ hrs to NH to wheel in the fall and 5 hrs to PA to wheel in the summer, so it does get some highway time. Might even make the Southern Swine Soiree next year.

You know you are going to want to wheel it. Get a lift, skid plates and sliders. Too many class VI roads in NH to not want to explore, so you will need these.

I have thought about a power steering conversion but I still wheel my 55 without it. Not sure I want to change the character too much.

Whatever you do, it doesn't ever really end. There is always something else.

Power steering is probably one of the top three best mods you can do. Once it's done, you kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Very happy that's already done on this one.

my .02 - What I wish I had on my 55 is a 5 speed. I do drive 3+ hrs to NH to wheel in the fall and 5 hrs to PA to wheel in the summer, so it does get some highway time. Might even make the Southern Swine Soiree next year.

You know you are going to want to wheel it. Get a lift, skid plates and sliders. Too many class VI roads in NH to not want to explore, so you will need these.

I have thought about a power steering conversion but I still wheel my 55 without it. Not sure I want to change the character too much.

Whatever you do, it doesn't ever really end. There is always something else.
Yes, in the end it's hard to be sad that a vehicle is TOO capable. We joke about the "arms race" in our VT group. No end is right. I bought a nicely built Jeep LJ as my intro to wheeling. Regeared, 35s, rubicon, winch, bumpers, sliders, metal cloak fenders, both tops, every option, to begin with. I paid for it, convinced "I didn't need to do anything, it's perfect". It was. Fast forward 3 years, it has an LS, Dynatracs, Atlas, 37s, different winch, etc. THAT is the madness I'm trying not to replicate. But, there's no reason not to build it some, right? ;):D (This is how it begins...)

We don't use that 4 letter word here 😉🐷 J%$p
I knew it was dangerous mentioning that 4 letter word. But, sometimes you have to own up to your youthful indiscretions. I once was lost but now am found :notworthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom