Wanted 1965 FJ45LV Parts Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Year
I just purchased a 1965 FJ45LV that will need a complete restoration. I know that I will need further parts once I get into the restoration process, but the obvious parts that I need are:
- Rear Bench Seat​
- Brackets that hold the rear seat on each side​
- Two tailgate latches​
- Gas Tank (is it unique to the LV or identical to FJ55?)​
- Heater/AC Unit for this car ( I have questions here, did these come with factory air/heat? Were they unique to the LV or did they use the FJ55/40 series?)​
- Land Cruiser Emblem that goes on the left side of the tailgate​
- Rear bumper​
- Side vent on passenger side, under the hood and above the back part of the fender. Mine is small and circular and I believe aftermarket. From the pics I see online, the vent should be square?​
- For the weatherstripping, I saw aftermarkets are made for the vent windows and taillights. What about the rest of the LV? Are the windows identical to other LC models?​
The parts can be in any condition as I'll be restoring the car. I'm more interested in the rear seat hardware, it doesn't have to be upholstered. Gas tank can be ratty, as long as it's restorable, same with bumper and other parts.​

We have weatherstrip kits for the windows(channel guide, inner and outer felt strip) and the door openings....as well as the tail gate. PM me for more info if you want.

Search on here for the bumper and brackets. A couple guys recently made batches of each and may have some available. Also search for the emblem as somebody made a batch of those a while back too.

Sounds like your truck didn't leave the factory with a heater if it has a small round aftermarket vent on the cowl.

Most of the aftermarket LV-specific weatherstripping for the door hinges, taillights, vent windows, etc... all look like they were made by a child in a play-doh fun factory. It's all that's available, however. The generic stuff for the windows and doors can be found in a kit by a member in this group.

@Rybradley3 - Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to MUD and the LV group.

Many of the parts you are requesting are very difficult to find due to the small number of LVs in existence. Patience is key on LV parts.

Please post pictures of your new purchase! We love pictures.

Rear bumper - Trail Tailor made a special run/batch of the LV rear bumper but it looks like they are all sold out. Inquire with him directly.

Trail Tailor website

Last edited:
I’ve got a good LV gas tank.

As Splangy said it sounds like your LV never had a factory heater which likely means it’s is a 1964 model. Which I believe can factor into what rear seat you might need. Post pictures and check the VIN if it starts 4FJ45 then it’s deginetly a ‘64.

Congrats on joining the LV club!

Last edited:
I’ve got a good LV gas tank.

As Splangy said it sounds like your LV never had a factory heater which likely means it’s is a 1964 model. Which I believe can factor into what rear seat you might need. Post pictures and check the VIN if it starts 4FJ45 then it’s deginetly a ‘64.

Congrats on joining the LV club!

I sent PMs about the weatherstripping and tank. Thanks guys! Please see the attached pic of the VIN plate. It has 65' stamped on there.

Screenshot_20231103-072422~2.png

It’s a 1964 build date titled in 1965. It wasn’t uncommon for LVs to sit on the dealer lot a year or more before being sold and titled. Reason it matters is a lot of changes in the details happened in the LV from 64-65 model years.

Interestingly one of my LVs came off the assembly line directly behind yours. What color was yours originally out of curiosity?

7CC518C4-FDA3-4544-9746-6E91D6A9A9AD.jpeg

It’s a 1964 build date titled in 1965. It wasn’t uncommon for LVs to sit on the dealer lot a year or more before being sold and titled. Reason it matters is a lot of changes in the details happened in the LV from 64-65 model years.

Interestingly one of my LVs came off the assembly line directly behind yours. What color was yours originally out of curiosity?

View attachment 3476146
I'm not sure on the color as it's painted all white, which I'm pretty sure wasn't factory. I'll get some pics posted up soon. But the door panels are a two color in the fabric. I'm interested as to what changes occurred between the 64' and 65' model years? Thanks!

Here are some of the year to year changes (credit to Rick_d)

“Identification marks and model year changes:

1963’s

- The basics: “3” precedes FJ45 on the frame, FJ35 glass, heater, 3” brow
- 3” ‘brow’ over windshield (1963-1966)
- Pop up vent on cowl (1963-64)
- Passenger side squirrel cage heaters. 2 types, one recalculating and one drawing air from passengers kick panel. (Denso part #16500-027-1 for outside air unit)
- Option of rear seat heater
- “Too wide” rear seat with short stop arms. These when folding hit the rear door handles
- Dimpled taillight lens (1963 – early 1964)
- Bottom catch vent window clamp (to ` FJ4514,300)
- Mud flaps (1963-64, and non US versions)
- FJ35 glass markings (1963 only)
- ‘breakaway’ seat rails (1963-64)
- ‘breakaway’ paddle handles (1963-64) w/ spring loaded metal packing
- Unique dome light (1963-65?)
- VIN plate on firewall w/ engine number and year stamped in (1963-64). Rebadged 1965’s were made from 1964 overstock w/ brass “T-65” tag.
- White pyramid rubber floor mats and white vinyl firewall mat (1963-64)
- Front mount sun visors (1963-1966)
- TOYOTA LAND CRUISER banner on tailgate (1963-64)
- Vacuum switch outside of firewall frame (1963-64_
- Foam door weather stripping (1963-66)
- 4 screw vent window hinge (1963-1965/6)
- Screw in headliner bows (1963 -1965/6)
- FJ25 exhaust manifold (1963 and early 1964)

1964’s

- The basics” “4” precedes FJ45 on frame, usually no stock heater, 3” brow
- Recirculating heaters (`option for 1964’s, but rarely seen)
- Correct size rear seat (FJ4514500 up)
- Short arm stops with block mounting for rear seat (FJ4514500-FJ4515100)
- Long arms for seat (FJ4515100 up)
- Map light switch appears left of headlight knob (FJ4516000 and up)
- Dealer add ons (1964 and later)
o Heater box (square unit w/ seat facing fan
o Chrome defrost knob
o Lighter w/ 2 crimps on under dash mount
o Ramsey PTO w/ ‘clown’ knob above ignition switch

1965’s

- The basics: grill on cowl vent, 40 style heating assembly, NO gas tank door, 3” brow (Specter’s/Kopito’s truck is a 1965)
- New paddle door openers w/ rubber backing (1965-1967)
- Open grill cowl vent and wiper motor change (1965-67)
- Map light disappears, hole left of headlight knob has rubber plug (1965-1967)
- Introduction of standard 40 style heater (Denso 87150-60030) and cowl fan (1965-67)
- Rear seat heater (not identical, but very similar to FJ40’s)(1965-67)
- Aluminum “T” year tags (1965-1967) (brass tags are rebadged ‘64’s)
- Black pyramid rubber floor mats and grey vinyl firewall mat (1965-1967)
- Lighter appears on dash (1965-67)

1966’s

- The basics: Grill on cowl vent, 40 style heating assembly, a gas tank door, 3” brow
- Improved seat rails (1966-67)
- Struts and straps for rear seat stabilization (1966-67)
- Move VIN to drivers fender (late 1966)
- Vacuum switch inside firewall frame (1966-67)
- 2 screw cast vent window hinge (1966-67)
- Gas tank lid and rubber cap (1966-67)
- Vented gas tank (1966-1967)
- Side in headliner bows (1966-67)

1967’s

- The basics: 1 ½” brow
- 1 ½” brow above windshield (1967 FJ4526000 +/-)
- Corner mounted sun visors (1967)
- Improved drainage for cowl vent (late 1967)
- Move VIN to passenger fender (1967)
- New weather stripping w/ plastic (steel reinforced) bead (1967)
- Improved venting for gas tank (late 1967) “

Additional things off the top of my head that ‘64s had that change in 1965…. “cat eye” taillight lenses, generator vs alternator, fuel pump had hand primer, different review mirror, SD40 carb had a blue face not later grey, and more I’m sure I’m forgetting.

JP

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! Post pics of your LV!

JP-
that looks familiar..............

I still remember a few things from those (now) early days

Here are some pics. I'll get some interior shots up later. It's definitely rough and was abused over the years but it's mostly all there. Engine and trans are complete and original, doors are mostly good. Dash is clean and looks nice. Still has the original door panels and headliner, although they will need replaced. Has mostly all the door hardware, knobs, ets. Beneath the white paint you can see that this was originally blue two-toned from the factory.

The bad: floor is in bad shape. I'll most likely need to replace the entire floor. The roof has a bunch of dents along with the hood. Original gas tank is there but was bypassed with a crude bladder in the rear and a hole cut in the passenger side. No brakes at all. The rear bumper was cut off along with the brackets I'm assuming to fit a welded hitch that was put on. Two ribs are missing on each side of the rear quarter panels. They were cut off so I'll need to have a shop recreate these with sheet metal. The rear tailgate is riveted s***, missing original tail lights. There is no rear seat and I'm also skeptical that the front bench seat is original as it's mounted on a crude 2"x4" homemade bracket. Good news is that the rear seat mounting brackets are still attached to each side of the cab.

Big items I still need are:
-front and rear seat hardware. I'm going to have them upholstered so they can be in poor shape.
-read bumper and brackets
-Land Cruiser emblem for tailgate
-Tailgate hinges

PXL_20231202_174651606.jpg

PXL_20231202_174543881.jpg

PXL_20231202_174526794.jpg

You should grab one of these rear bumpers while you still can.

Does the rear hatch handle have a plate screwed in the center with the word "TOYOPET" under it?

My 64 FJ45LV with factory modifications for the Mexican Federales sold in Colorado did.
No heater, no side vents, cowl vent with handle to close the cover ....
Sold it to FJ45LV collector in Tucson Arizona years ago.

Does the rear hatch handle have a plate screwed in the center with the word "TOYOPET" under it?

My 64 FJ45LV with factory modifications for the Mexican Federales sold in Colorado did.
No heater, no side vents, cowl vent with handle to close the cover ....
Sold it to FJ45LV collector in Tucson Arizona years ago.
Yes, it does have the Toyopet on the chrome latch. I was looking at that this morning actually and scratching my head over it. What's the deal with that? Is that factory?

Yes factory. The latch handle was used on the Toyopet wagon originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom