15x7-20 on HZJ77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i've got aftermarket 16s on my 91 HZJ77 and have found some oem 15x7-20s. curious if anyone knows if they will have fitment issues?

thanks
bret

Some 7* series had 15 inch rims and I had some 15x8. But what does the 20s mean? Personally, I would stick with 16 in wheels. The choice of 15 inch tyres gets slimmer every year.

The “-20” is referring to the offset of the rim but he really should be more focused on what the BS of the rim is.

Seems like most have success with 3.5 to 3.75 BS before spacers come into the picture on most 70 series.

If I am doing the math right and assuming the upper and lower flanges are .5" each, these seem like they are 3.2 BS being 15X7 -20.

Last edited:
Some 7* series had 15 inch rims and I had some 15x8. But what does the 20s mean? Personally, I would stick with 16 in wheels. The choice of 15 inch tyres gets slimmer every year.

Hello,

x2.

There are more options with 16 and 17 inch wheels.

Juan

Hi all, i've got aftermarket 16s on my 91 HZJ77 and have found some oem 15x7-20s. curious if anyone knows if they will have fitment issues?

thanks
bret

If they are OEM, why are you worried about fitment issues?

I'm actually trying to take a little height away from my setup too but good to know on the tire selection. As FJ74Texas says, -20 is the offset of the wheel. This is the measurement of where the wheel mounts, compared to the absolute center of the wheel. -20 means the hub is 20mm towards the hub. Generally a high negative offset produces a large lip. Higher offsets (or positive offsets) have the face of the wheel closer to the outer edge of the wheel.

You asked why i'm concerned about fitment -- They were for sale on the yahoo auctions and although mentioned they were for a 75 i think, they did not mention if they would fit a 77 in particular so i was hoping someone had some experience with a similar size setup.

The “-20” is referring to the offset of the rim but he really should be more focused on what the BS of the rim is.

Seems like most have success with 3.5 to 3.75 BS before spacers come into the picture on most 70 series.

If I am doing the math right and assuming the upper and lower flanges are .5" each, these seem like they are 3.2 BS being 15X7 -20.

My other cars really only ever talk about offsets so backspacing is a bit new to me. i've got spacers on my current setup, i'd actually love to not run spacers going forward. i will keep the 3.5-3.75 BS in mind though, thank you!

Hello,

x2.

There are more options with 16 and 17 inch wheels.

Juan

Will keep in mind. i might just go down to 32 or 31s though, my truck doesn't fit in the work garage and actually doesn't fit in my home garage either.

If they are OEM, why are you worried about fitment issues?

Because some OEM wheels shared the same look and style but were spread out across different models such as 4runner or Land Cruiser therefore the varying offsets. You will likely have issues with fitment.

Im aware of this , that why Im trying to get some more info about exactly what his doubts are

Im aware of this , that why Im trying to get some more info about exactly what his doubts are

if you are aware than you know what my doubts are?

But to recap: i found a japanese auction that was selling 15x7-20 wheels. They were advertised as being on an HZJ75. Although i can purchase them through a third party site, i don't have the ability to ask the seller if they would fit my HZJ77 (unlikely that they would know in the first place). The last thing i wanted to do was pay for them, ship them over here from japan and find out they would't fit for some reason. i figured that someone on the forums might have had experience with this size setup but it's all slightly moot as the auction finished and someone else bought the wheels.

if you are aware than you know what my doubts are?

You never told us where the wheels come from, except they they were OEM. Now you tell us they are off a HZJ75. A little research would tell you all the 7*series leaf sprung vehicles are basically the same vehicle except for the length . Its a model toyota designed to be able to share a wide range of parts from other 7*. They didnt make special wheels for the 77 series, so next time tell us the full story and you will beat the auction dead line

You never told us where the wheels come from, except they they were OEM. Now you tell us they are off a HZJ75. A little research would tell you all the 7*series leaf sprung vehicles are basically the same vehicle except for the length . Its a model toyota designed to be able to share a wide range of parts from other 7*. They didnt make special wheels for the 77 series, so next time tell us the full story and you will beat the auction dead line

i said they were off a 75 in my first response. Regardless, If it's true that they are all interchangeable then why would the 15x7-20 have potential backspacing issues as noted above by @FJ73Texas? If i need more backspacing than they are not all interchangeable.

Because the axle, frame and body widths are all the same 84-90. And I have had both 15 and 16 inch rims on my 73 , 75 and 61 series and never had an issue.
The only difference I could see is where some of them protrude from the body a little which were are covered by the fibreglass flares.
But its gets back to the fact if they came off a 75 , you wont have a problem putting them on a 77.
The 7* series leaf sprung models all have a track width of 1415mm front and 1400mm rear (same as a 55 series)

But maybe they didnt come off a 75 series as claimed.

Last edited:
Because the axle, frame and body widths are all the same 84-90. And I have had both 15 and 16 inch rims on my 73 , 75 and 61 series and never had an issue.
The only difference I could see is where some of them protrude from the body a little which were are covered by the fibreglass flares.
But its gets back to the fact if they came off a 75 , you wont have a problem putting them on a 77.
The 7* series leaf sprung models all have a track width of 1415mm front and 1400mm rear (same as a 55 series)

But maybe they didnt come off a 75 series as claimed.

Thank you - next time anything in this range pops up on the OEM side i might just pull the trigger. They aren't common here in the states, unfortunately. I do already have flares though, if that ends up being a problem :)

You can still buy new 7* series steel rims in the 16in size, a much better proposition IMO

i said they were off a 75 in my first response. Regardless, If it's true that they are all interchangeable then why would the 15x7-20 have potential backspacing issues as noted above by @FJ73Texas? If i need more backspacing than they are not all interchangeable.

I missed that they came off a HJ75 originally. 3.2 very close to 3.5 anyways.

Either way I agree that going up to a 16 or even 17 is better choice overall.

You can still buy new 7* series steel rims in the 16in size, a much better proposition IMO

Are they easy to get state side?

I missed that they came off a HJ75 originally. 3.2 very close to 3.5 anyways.

Either way I agree that going up to a 16 or even 17 is better choice overall.

The truck currently sits at just over 6'6" which is too tall to fit in my work garage and also i can't park it under the lift in my garage (even raised to the limit) so if i went up in tire size, i'd still like to lose height overall. Right now i park on the street which is okay but it also means i can't drive it to work on days it would be really nice to drive it to work here in colorado. I've got aftermarket suspension on it too but only because finding stock replacements was ridiculously prohibitive here in the US.

Are they easy to get state side?
I believe those online OEM shops sell them, no idea on how much they cost.

Ive been using these heavy duty ROH wheels sold widely in Australia, mine site and approved for govt vehicles and sold in the exact size a 7* series needs. Mine are 12 years old now and they are still in perfect shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom