Builds 12HT into a 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Pat @dogfishlake , when you get a chance could you help me identify which wire on the 55 harness connects to the temp sending unit on the 2F motor? Thanks. Jimmy

Hey Pat @dogfishlake , when you get a chance could you help me identify which wire on the 55 harness connects to the temp sending unit on the 2F motor? Thanks. Jimmy
Yep. Will go look shortly.

Ok, so this may only be half-arsed helpful but the wire on the sender is either a tan color or off white and I don't see an identifier stripe on it (first pic).

The second picture is where the harness comes out of the firewall. I can't tell if it is connected to the yellow with green marker or the yellow with black marker.
20190323_093624.jpg
20190323_094239.jpg

So our harnesses are a bit different. This being a 73 does not have as many wires as you show on that pigtail. Does not have the clip either
020F1934-F54F-4F5A-8AD4-ADF352D0EBB1.jpeg
C2A24208-F6F0-4403-B49F-0C267E5694EA.jpeg
ABC15DE9-8B1B-4AFE-B534-7BE672BCB95A.jpeg

So our harnesses are a bit different
If you hook up a test light clip to your ground and check the leads you suspect are for your temp sending unit and have someone watch the gauge with the key on it should be pretty quick to narrow it down.
The bulb in your test light should have enough resistance to move your gauge.

If you hook up a test light clip to your ground and check the leads you suspect are for your temp sending unit and have someone watch the gauge with the key on it should be pretty quick to narrow it down.
The bulb in your test light should have enough resistance to move your gauge.
This is a great suggestion. So I’m a bit ignorant on electrical testing etc. I don’t have a test light (will get one). However I do have a multimeter that I use to check current and to ohm a wire etc.
I will follow your directions and see what I get. At the airport heading out for work, but will be back in the barn on Saturday. Thanks again. Jimmy

So a few updates...I pulled the tank and it was in great shape. The rubber filler neck hose was dried and cracked. Found a 60 degree 2 1/4” and made it work. Also, swapped in a new Bosh primer. Now the motor pulls the fuel through and we are free of leaks.

And a huge call out to Pat @dogfishlake. He donated a 55 radiator core and helped by getting it to and from a local radiator shop for rebuild. Then the packaging job was the best I’ve ever experienced. I could keep going on and an, but every experience I’ve had with Pat is this way. We are fortunate to have folks like Pat in this business :)
5F56D765-B872-45D3-97C9-560BA840E227.jpeg
6C5D2264-44F8-4E6C-9F05-52C23222A5AF.jpeg
D6208988-0695-41DB-895C-6B7CB5E7BC2E.jpeg
D0C1638C-BE40-461B-A21C-D88EF399F022.jpeg
09ACC69E-AB42-4F0B-AD61-4F4DA07D1109.jpeg

And a huge call out to Pat @dogfishlake. He donated a 55 radiator core and helped by getting it to and from a local radiator shop for rebuild. Then the packaging job was the best I’ve ever experienced. I could keep going on and an, but every experience I’ve had with Pat is this way. We are fortunate to have folks like Pat in this business :)View attachment 1963853View attachment 1963854View attachment 1963855View attachment 1963858View attachment 1963859
Thanks buddy. It is like @Pigeaten said to me when he GAVE me the trim for my 55 roof, "one big family here".

I'm enjoying the build and learning from it so I am way happy to help.

Dropped the radiator off at a local shop so the inlet and outlet can be modified. The bottom inlet needs to be moved out as far as possible on the passenger side and a 45 degree added. The outlet needs to be swapped to the passenger side as well. If you don’t run AC then it can be left as is and flip the thermostat housing. This was an oversight on my part and if I’d had figured it out earlier could have been done at the same time Pat had it rebuilt. So always learning along the way :).

Got the VSV working tonight. Will clean up all the vacuum lines with new ones etc. just getting it to function and will tidy things up.

This video was for the owner of the truck. The first one I sent him the cold idle relay was engaged. That’s why I’m explaining how I bypassed it.

So a few updates...I pulled the tank and it was in great shape. The rubber filler neck hose was dried and cracked. Found a 60 degree 2 1/4” and made it work. Also, swapped in a new Bosh primer. Now the motor pulls the fuel through and we are free of leaks.

What was your source for new filler neck hose?

What was your source for new filler neck hose?
51B21721-3B2E-4D82-99B5-823F04D4977A.jpeg
51B21721-3B2E-4D82-99B5-823F04D4977A.jpeg
Want to say it was around $40. Used a PVC coupler to join the two hoses. Trimmed and installed and worked great.

Had to re-work the inlet and outlet to accommodate the 12HT. Should have realized this and had it done while Pat had it rebuilt up north. Regardless, came out great and the stock 12HT hoses work with the stock 55 radiator. This video is a bit long as it’s an update I’m sending to Parrish who owns this truck.

Oil and fuel gauges work. Temp gauge does not. I followed the 3 tests in the service manual and the OHM test failed. Should hit 25 and the highest I got was mid teens. Will post pics tomorrow, but looking for a good electric gauge to replace the mechanical aftermarket one already installed. I’d use it but the probe is huge and interferes with the thermostat if installed in the OEM location. Therefore I’d like to go electric.

Last edited:
Was able to get the mechanical gauge to work. Ran the truck for 40 min and hit 160 degrees. Gonna see if I can find a possible mounting location for the diesel tach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom