12-15 LX570 vs 16+ LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping this thread as I'm on the fence of trading my truck (13 Raptor) for a LX and mulling over a '14-15 v a '16-17.

Mechanically they're almost the same, transmission aside for the 16+.

Interior of the 16+ looks to be substantially more refined (at least aesthetically).

Aftermarket support for 15- is larger, and they seem to be able to share more of it with the LC.

Haven't gotten around to driving either yet given the social-distancing situation, but keeping a close eye on the market. Will be using truck mostly to haul the family (wife + kid) and dogs (2x100lb pups) around, hiking trips, occasional off-road trips, and the typical Costco/Home Depot runs. Def want the DVD player for the kiddo and road trips.

I like the looks of 16+ and interior finish, but at same time the 15- looks more proper as an off-road vehicle on 17" wheels and 33/34 tires. Seems I get the same capacity, while saving $15k+

Am I missing something?
Nope. Gen 1 to gen 3 mechanicals the same except for tranny. Pick the year and color and features that have value to you beyond that.

Bumping this thread as I'm on the fence of trading my truck (13 Raptor) for a LX and mulling over a '14-15 v a '16-17.

Mechanically they're almost the same, transmission aside for the 16+.

Interior of the 16+ looks to be substantially more refined (at least aesthetically).

Aftermarket support for 15- is larger, and they seem to be able to share more of it with the LC.

Haven't gotten around to driving either yet given the social-distancing situation, but keeping a close eye on the market. Will be using truck mostly to haul the family (wife + kid) and dogs (2x100lb pups) around, hiking trips, occasional off-road trips, and the typical Costco/Home Depot runs. Def want the DVD player for the kiddo and road trips.

I like the looks of 16+ and interior finish, but at same time the 15- looks more proper as an off-road vehicle on 17" wheels and 33/34 tires. Seems I get the same capacity, while saving $15k+

Am I missing something?

You've hit on the big things. They're functionally going to be the same vehicle. Style is a big part of it, and it is a pretty huge change interior and exterior. Only you can answer which one speaks to you more strongly.

A bit more on mechanicals, tranny is a big one. The latter is going to also have larger/stronger brakes and more safety features.

Are you going to upsize your tires? And perhaps carry/tow large loads? Both tranny and brakes make a bigger difference in those areas. The 8-speed has a huge spread with far lower end gearing, on par with the older 6-speed with 4.88 gears. That'll give better crawl ratios, and low end grunt when hauling heavy, even with larger tires.

Preview, but more discussion on this can be found at this thread.
1589046312496.png

The latter LX's also got more upgrades. This is a list from elsewhere and won't cover everything. I don't know if all of these things came at the '16 model year split point, but many did:
28) Ventilated outboard rear seats
29) Four-zone climate concierge
30) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
31) LED Cornering Lamp
32) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
33) Head-up display
34) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)
35) Steering wheel paddle shifter
36) Door puddle projector lamps
37) Rear door retractable sun shades
38) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
39) Dual screen rear entertainment

The 16+ have some safety features that I think make sense to have. YMMV

I know not directed to me, but having had both touchscreen cars and mouse one, I like the mouse since I don't have to look at the interface to navigate it ( muscle memory + the haptic feedback - e.g. to go from bluetooth to XM radio, I know I move the mouse top right. Enter. Use middle finger on down arrow button. Move mouse down two clicks. Enter. - and all done in less than 5 seconds without taking my eyes off the road ). This isn't a deal breaker, and tbh for me its really a non-issue. I mean honestly, I rarely fiddle with screens to begin with - well aside from the GT350 I owned previously, to do some AC features involved the touchscreen.

That being said - I find it hilarious how LX's are cheaper than LC's
So how are you finding that LXs are cheaper than LCs? I have pulled up cargurus on two screens side by side and entered the same filters for both{2018, nationwide, white or silver with orange or terra, less than 20000 miles} and it seems to me that the LXs are almost uniformly the same or more. It seems the prices are lower back east than out here in the west. What am I missing??

My fav 200 series is the 2020 LX Sport.

I'm cool with the LC interior. I love the LX interior. I love the triple-beam headlights and just the overall in your face flash with the legendary Toyota j-vin qrd guts to back it all up.

15 is the last year of LX looking like a Landcruiser is supposed to look like
I would not touch 16+ BFU shtshow with a 10-foot pole. It attracted an entirely different buyer who cares about mouse control and paddle shifters (WTF on 6000lb boat).
10-15 years from now no one will be looking for a used 16+ monstrosity

You've hit on the big things. They're functionally going to be the same vehicle. Style is a big part of it, and it is a pretty huge change interior and exterior. Only you can answer which one speaks to you more strongly.

A bit more on mechanicals, tranny is a big one. The latter is going to also have larger/stronger brakes and more safety features.

Are you going to upsize your tires? And perhaps carry/tow large loads? Both tranny and brakes make a bigger difference in those areas. The 8-speed has a huge spread with far lower end gearing, on par with the older 6-speed with 4.88 gears. That'll give better crawl ratios, and low end grunt when hauling heavy, even with larger tires.

Preview, but more discussion on this can be found at this thread.
View attachment 2300602

The latter LX's also got more upgrades. This is a list from elsewhere and won't cover everything. I don't know if all of these things came at the '16 model year split point, but many did:
28) Ventilated outboard rear seats
29) Four-zone climate concierge
30) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
31) LED Cornering Lamp
32) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
33) Head-up display
34) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)
35) Steering wheel paddle shifter
36) Door puddle projector lamps
37) Rear door retractable sun shades
38) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
39) Dual screen rear entertainment
Thanks for the detailed response, always a plethora of info from you 👏 the list of changes is helpful as well

Towing would be minimal, my GS-F to the track and maybe 3-4x/year tops. That would be the extent of towing.

I would like to run 33-34" tires on 17 or 18 in wheels, something meatier than OEM that can tolerate the beaten path/trails. Ok with doing some fender massaging with heatgun and minor cutting here and there but nothing crazy. Probably won't do much to the suspension either, AHC coupled with the tires seems to provide enough clearance for the trails I'd be taking it through.

Thanks for the detailed response, always a plethora of info from you 👏 the list of changes is helpful as well

Towing would be minimal, my GS-F to the track and maybe 3-4x/year tops. That would be the extent of towing.

I would like to run 33-34" tires on 17 or 18 in wheels, something meatier than OEM that can tolerate the beaten path/trails. Ok with doing some fender massaging with heatgun and minor cutting here and there but nothing crazy. Probably won't do much to the suspension either, AHC coupled with the tires seems to provide enough clearance for the trails I'd be taking it through.

What did you end up with?

I have a minority viewpoint but even though LC interior is not as nice as LX but the LX exterior 15 and below did not age well. I'm one of the few LC owners that likes the 16+ LX grill. Also, my LC interior with 250k miles on it still looks new. Personally I liked the 2008-11 interior but it did take some getting used to coming from a S class benz. I hated the LX mouse as well. KDSS is what sold me on the LC. Although I would consider putting 35s on a LX which is probably the coolest modification. Lastly, I recently saw an LX in black onyx with a nice wax job that really caught my eye. I'm an aggressive driver and the LX suspension would bore me to quickly. I remember feeling soo liberated when I ripped AHC out of my LX470 and put an ARB spring lift kit.

on the 2016+ the front wheel wells looks smaller than the previous version, was wondering if you can do the AHC lift and run the 305/55's with wheel spacers (or appropriately backspaced wheels) on 2016+

Thoughts?

on the 2016+ the front wheel wells looks smaller than the previous version, was wondering if you can do the AHC lift and run the 305/55's with wheel spacers (or appropriately backspaced wheels) on 2016+

Thoughts?

@Chrisleduc1 runs this size tire on his '18. No problemo with the right offset. Should be able to add 1" spacers to your stock wheels with some minor plastic clearancing and that will do the trick. FYI, lift on an IFS suspension is really a separate decision and doesn't really play into fitting larger tires as the tire needs to fit throughout the suspension stroke anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom