10m radio and CB. Looking for input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I on accident picked up a 10m export radio the other day(was in a lot of CBs that I bought) It is a Super Star 121 (connex SS121) Connex SS121 Superstar 121 10 meter CB Radio Review After some fiddling, I found that it has been modified to transmit on CB while in the mid range--40 channels high, 40 low, and 40 Cb in the middle.

So, not being a HAM operator yet, I understand the illegality of transmitting in my high and low bands, but this radio has a somewhat unique build in that it appears to be able to legally transmit on the 10 and 11 meter bands.

Here is why: The CB channels are federally limited to 4w transmission output. Many folks mod their radios to exceed this, but whatever. Most export radios transmit at 10+ watts, and as such are not legal for use on the CB channels. This particular radio has a high and low power setting with the low power being around 2w (most off the shelf CBs are transmitting about 2w as well) and the high power being right at 4w (usually only possible with a professional tuneup on a quality CB)

So, since this radio only transmits 4w, it should be legal for use on 11m(CB), and once I get my license, I can legally transmit on the 10m band. Nifty I suppose.

Now, on to the questions before I swap out my perfectly functional CB.

Will a regular CB antenna work OK for the 10m usage?

Is there any benefit to using the 10m band? A lot of folks seem to use the 2m around here...

What does the AM/FM capability do for me?

How can I tell which freq I am transmitting on? (I am assuming that the 10m channels are not standardized like the CB channels are)

Anyhow, I appreciate any input you guys can give me and thanks for putting up with a bunch of Newb questions.

Cheers!

Dan

Will a regular CB antenna work OK for the 10m usage?

I'd be surprised if it tuned up with decent SWR, but it's possible. You'd want to check it for sure with an antenna analyzer or SWR meter.

Is there any benefit to using the 10m band?

When it's open and propagating (depending on the solar cycles) it's a great daytime band and you can talk all over the world on it. One of my favorite bands for DX work; I've gotten all my longest/farthest contacts on 10M. You can only use a tiny part of the 10M band with a Technician Class license though, if you are serious about using it you will need at least a General Class ticket.

A lot of folks seem to use the 2m around here...

Completely different animals. 2M is local, line-of-sight (direct wave), and 99% FM. The most popular/useful band for trail groups.

10M propagates via ground wave and sometime skywave so it is good (when it's open) from about 50 miles to world-wide, and is mostly used on the USB though there are some 10M FM repeaters.

What does the AM/FM capability do for me?

FM will allow you to access repeaters, if you are in range.

How can I tell which freq I am transmitting on? (I am assuming that the 10m channels are not standardized like the CB channels are)

There are no "channels" on the ham bands, you can use any frequency that you are authorized to use by your license class, that is not already in use by someone else. There are band plans for phone (voice), CW (Morse code), digital modes, and etc. You will learn all of this when you study to take the ham radio license exam. Every modern ham radio has a VFO display, which tells you exactly which frequency you are on.

Last edited:
This one doesn't have the VFO display--only a CB style channel readout, but I found a conversion chart online.

Thanks for the info. I have an old antenna that I never use that I could probably tune for 10m and swap via quick disconnect. I have a meter and the 121 has a meter built in as well. Doing a bit more research on the "export" radios reveals that they seem to be purpose built for converting to CB and running high power--not in my plans though.

This one doesn't have the VFO display--only a CB style channel readout, but I found a conversion chart online.

Thanks for the info. I have an old antenna that I never use that I could probably tune for 10m and swap via quick disconnect. I have a meter and the 121 has a meter built in as well. Doing a bit more research on the "export" radios reveals that they seem to be purpose built for converting to CB and running high power--not in my plans though.

It probably doesn't really matter, but the radio is most likely still illegal since it is not a type accepted radio by fcc standards. A 10 mtr radio is not allowed to be modified to operate on 11 mtr period, regardless of it's power output. It's the modification that makes the radio illegal, not the excess power output in and of itself.

What this means to you is pretty much nothing. The odds of you ever being bagged on it are slim to none, unless you start doing some REALLY stupid things with it.

Your 11 mtr antennae will work fine. It won't be optimal for the 10 mtr portion of the radio naturally, but it will more or less work.

To use a 10m radio on a 11m antenna requires shortening the element. For a Wilson 1000 or 5000, you cut about one inch off the whip to get it to tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom