10blade fan install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am trying to replace the old radiator fan on my 2LTE with a 10 blade fan. I am having a heck of a time breaking the nuts because my water pump keeps moving when I try to break the nut.

From every video I have watched on this it seems like the belts should be holding the water pump in place. So a couple questions:

- is there likely something wrong with the water pump? I have noticed any issues so I’m not sure
- my belts were replaced about 20,000km ago and visually seem ok
- any tips for breaking the bolts, in the already tight space!!

Thanks

Phil

I've had the same trouble removing a fan that obviously had never been touched.

Can you use a pry bar between the studs and the pulley, then wedged against something to stop the water pump spinning.
Or another 12mm wrench on a nut and wedged against the pulley hub, then try to use it to stop the pump rotating

There's likely nothing wrong with your water pump. These are just hella tight from the factory.
There's replacement nuts available if you bugger up the nuts

Large screw driver or pry bar on the studs as described above is how I've done it. It is a PITA working in there though; so tight. (ie. remove the fan and viscous hub as a unit from the water pump pulley). Separate the fan from hub on bench top.

Biggest thing to check is the viscous fan hub. There's threads on the forum here for replacing the silicone oil and checking the functionality. The 2LTE one is adjustable, so you can drop the turn on temp a bit also. Helps lots with cooling.

Make sure to run the newer 2lte version 82C OEM toyota t-stat. Much better than the original 88C one. This is the toyota part number: 1634054040. They made the 2LT-II until early 2000's, and that is the t-stat all the newer (and very reliable) ones use.

Finally, make sure a/c condensor and rad are nice and clean and in good shape with nothing blocking air flow.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am actually just replacing the viscous hub as well.

After doing some more research and looking closer it seems my alternator tensioning screw has broken, so the belts are loose, resulting in the water pump turning.

Haha nothing is ever easy!!

GTSSSportCoupe, just wanted to say thanks for all of your amazing posts about the 2LTE. I have done the majority of your recommendations with great effect, including egr delete, 2.5” exhaust, front mount intercooler, turbo upgrade (to a holset he211) with associated ECU “spoofing” to overcome fuel cut, and now 10 blade fan and snorkel.

Are you still running evans coolant (seemed from all the posts you went back and forth on it a bit). Would you recommend it still for general daily driving, with minimal towing?

Thanks again!!

GTSSSportCoupe, just wanted to say thanks for all of your amazing posts about the 2LTE. I have done the majority of your recommendations with great effect, including egr delete, 2.5” exhaust, front mount intercooler, turbo upgrade (to a holset he211) with associated ECU “spoofing” to overcome fuel cut, and now 10 blade fan and snorkel.

Are you still running evans coolant (seemed from all the posts you went back and forth on it a bit). Would you recommend it still for general daily driving, with minimal towing?

Thanks again!!

You're welcome! Glad it's been helpful. And sorry it caused you to spend so much money, haha. :)

Yes I still run Evans Coolant, but only because I tow heavy under extreme conditions each summer. I'm around 100,000km on a new cylinder head now, and beat it super hard every year. Still fine as far as I can tell and truck runs fantastic. So I do think the Evans works to protect the engine without a doubt.

I don't think I'd bother with it in my truck if I was not towing and just doing daily driving.

Had a t-stat failure on one of my towing trips a couple years ago. I towed for three hours at 100km/hr under these conditions. No problems as far as I can tell. I know for sure without Evans it would have been game over. Was 36C outside, truck and trailer was about 4000kg.

IMG_20210730_150612241.jpg
IMG_20210730_150619886.jpg

You're welcome! Glad it's been helpful. And sorry it caused you to spend so much money, haha. :)

Yes I still run Evans Coolant, but only because I tow heavy under extreme conditions each summer. I'm around 100,000km on a new cylinder head now, and beat it super hard every year. Still fine as far as I can tell and truck runs fantastic. So I do think the Evans works to protect the engine without a doubt.

I don't think I'd bother with it in my truck if I was not towing and just doing daily driving.

Had a t-stat failure on one of my towing trips a couple years ago. I towed for three hours at 100km/hr under these conditions. No problems as far as I can tell. I know for sure without Evans it would have been game over. Was 36C outside, truck and trailer was about 4000kg.

View attachment 3337005View attachment 3337004
Right on! I don’t tow with my hilux so will probably skip it then. With all of the mods I have been pretty happy. Since the new turbo install I consistently see max egt’s of about 450C, pre turbo, in overdrive, slogging up sustained steep hills at 115kph. It will be interesting to see what changes the 10blade fan and snorkel bring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom