100K miles, what now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I bought my 99 with 70K and it now just turned 100K. I havent had a car with 100K on it for a long time. The LC still drives like new so I am not planning on replacing it. I am running synthetic oil, have had the timing belt and waterpump changed but other than the starter contacts what should I have done? In about a month I am moving to a remote part of Montana so I need to make sure this will continue to 200K without worries. Wheel bearings? Suspension bushings? Anything?

Thanks,
BC

Follow the maintenance schedule to a "T". Fix things as soon as they become a problem. Keep tires rotated, aligned, and drive it wherever you want to go in the wilds of Montana.

At 100K, your Toyota is just broken in. The big one-oh-oh isn't what it used to be; you should get many, many, many more miles without any major maintenance other than the timing belt in another 90K. Just keep the oil changed, brakes and rotors in good condition, etc. and you should be good to go.

Agree completely. The 100k mark means nothing. Follow the service plan MINUS maybe the Water pump change when T belt is replaced.

Thanks! Is there a requirement to repack front wheel bearings every 30K? I did a search and found that but cant find it in the manuals. I purchased the 99 LC repair manuals. Do they have recommendations in them? I couldnt find any.

Thanks,
BC

The service guidelines are listed on Toyota's site I believe i.e. lubrication timeline

From the spindle on out, the 100 series front hubs are pretty much the same as an 80 series.

You can follow the guidelines posted here about wheel bearing/birfield repack, but just ignore all the stuff about the birfields.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/birf-repack.php

bcripe said:
Well I bought my 99 with 70K and it now just turned 100K. I havent had a car with 100K on it for a long time. The LC still drives like new so I am not planning on replacing it. I am running synthetic oil, have had the timing belt and waterpump changed but other than the starter contacts what should I have done? In about a month I am moving to a remote part of Montana so I need to make sure this will continue to 200K without worries. Wheel bearings? Suspension bushings? Anything?

Thanks,
BC

What "remote part of Montana" are you moving too? I think you would be safer to turn your 100 over to me and I'll give you a nice Pick-em-up truck to drive around so you'll fit right in :D There are some strange people in MT ..... I should know ;)

Seriously though, enjoy it, most of the state still feels pretty "untouched".

Well I grew up in Troy in the very NW. My place is on the Yaak river. Here is my website www.yaakmeadows.com. Where are you located?

Cripe,

Welcome to the NW! We've spent a few days on Lake Kookanusa - it's a few hours tow from here. No worries on service. There's a Toyota Dealer in Sandpoint, ID and a very good one here in CDA. If you find any fun trails (Cruiser or MTB), drop me a PM and my family and I will come up and play.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom