‘07 FJ Cruiser feels like its being starved of fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. I picked up an ‘07 FJ Cruiser not long ago on a trade.
I noticed that it has an interesting issue, in which two things are happening:

1). Sometimes when I turn the Key over it cranks right up. Other times it takes it a bit to crank over.
2). When I depress the Gas Pedal, and the truck begins to accelerate up to speed I feel what seems to be the motor having a hard one keeping due pressure or rather, the trucks acceleration isn’t smooth. It does this kind lurking thing as it gaining speed. (To give you an idea it would feel like someone is pushing the gas then ever so slightly letting up quickly and depressing it again).

This happens to matter if I am easy or stomp on the pedal.
The PO of the truck did give me a new aftermarket fuel pump w/ external filter. He mentioned that he got some bad gas before.
I wanted to get your thoughts before I drop this tank.

@BMThiker - Rick I would like to get your thoughts on this, or possibly point me in a direction. I think it’s the fuel sock being clogged.

Given that's an '07 and may have high miles (like mine), I would probably suspect clogged catalytic converters before I would suspect the fuel pump - but the cats should throw the OBDII code for "inefficiency". For other possible causes that would not necessarily throw a code, I would change the spark plugs and the air filter for a start. Both of which are much cheaper and easier than replacing a fuel pump. Maybe try cleaning your injectors with a chemical treatment after that.

Could be clogged fuel pump as you mention. If you have bad injectors, then I'd think a shop with Techstream could scan it and discover which injector is bad. Not all codes will make the CEL come on.

I'd probably check the spark plugs first

Man...I am acting like a greenhorn this am. I should have posted what I have done thus far.
Truck has 106k on it
- Full Service @ Toyota South with my buddy that used to run it Sam. They did Plugs (not sure about wires), Air Filter, and I did an Injector Cleaning Service.

The Tech mentioned he thought it performed better after the service. His thoughts were that when he took the fuel line off, and it released pressure that the sediment in tank released off the filter sock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom