01 Landcruiser with NAV Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully, someone can help diagnose an issue with my front speakers in an 01 100 series with Nav. About 5 years ago I discovered that the factory front speakers were blown. I had Best Buy replace the speakers with a pair of Kicker KS 600s. The Kickers performed well enough, but never had the sound of the originals they replaced. Last year after reading this forum I replaced the Kickers with a pair of Infiniti Reference 6032si speakers. I simply removed the Kickers and installed the Infiniti speakers in a plug and play fashion. The Infinitis sounded terrible and always have. The issue is bass. Any level of bass makes the speakers distort. The bass comes through with a PUFF PUFF sound. The only way to correct the issue is to set the fader 98% the to the rear.

Tonight I put the Kickers back in and the they sound fine with no bass distortion. But I don't want to give up on the Infinitis. My thought is Best Buy changed something in the wiring from the AMP when they installed the Kickers, but I don't see any obvious changes in the doors.
Any thoughts...?

Thanks

are you sure they got the positive and negatives correct at the speakers? fade to left and right, if fading to one side brings the bass back then one of the speakers may be hooked up backwards.

other thing could be ohm rating of the speaker is not compatible with what the amp is putting out.

IIRC 2ohm is what we need. I put in Infinity component speakers up front and they sound 500% better than the stock ones that I blew out ever did.

Be skeptical of best buy work quality. They missions tallied a product on my BMW and wouldn't own the mistake when it broke the antenna. They exist solely to sell warranties and screw you.

And yes, I've contemplated shorting their stock.

IIRC 2ohm is what we need. I put in Infinity component speakers up front and they sound 500% better than the stock ones that I blew out ever did.
Aren't the Infiniti 6032i's 2 ohm? The Kickers were installed by Best Buy and they worked well. My question is did Best Buy change something in the wiring from the amp to get them to work? From what I understand the Infinitis can be a direct replacement for the stock. If BB changed the wiring with the Kicker install, then it may explain why the Infinitis don't work.

personally i highly doubt BB ran new lines to your amp, but check and verify. most likely they only touched stuff within the door and this is my guess as to where your issue is located. in regards to your speakers, i think some people do choose the 6032s, but myself like many others here are using the infinity 6030 component speakers. still shouldn't effect your weird bass issue, but i dunno.

have you tried putting the kickers back in to see if the problem goes away?

I put the kickers back in last weekend and the problem went away. I believe the Kickers are 4 ohm and BB must have modified something that creates an issue with the 2 ohm speakers, but i can't figure it out.

Infiniti 6030 in the front door. What upgrade do you recommend for the rear doors? I can barely hear my rear speakers (see pic).
image.jpg

6032i is a good sounding speaker but the 6032 response curve doesn't present well below 53hz... you're not getting much bass anytime soon from them. The kickers are slightly better at 43hz. My experience with the 6032 is they have pretty thin sound and really require an amp and sub to accompany.

Having said that it sounds pretty likely that there is a mechanical problem with the woofer.... if you have the woofer in hand does it move with zero drag? If it drags the voice coil is fragged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom