'00 Tundra Brake fix info needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently bought a 2000 Tundra Limited to serve as DD/tow rig. It has the brake pulse issue from the get go that apparently was not a recall, so my question is if anyone can tell me what are the actual parts I need for the fix. I have extensively searched the internet and I have not found what application parts will work to fix the issue. All I come up with is a dealer will charge you $2000 but I turn my own wrenches and have friends in good places to get Toyota parts. I have searched tundra solutions but it doesn’t seem like anyone there can wipe there own ass let alone turn a wrench so I turn to mud. Think I can just get a set of brimbos rotors and some new pads that will hopefully dissipate heat a little better? Or maybe do away with the backing plates if that is an option? Are the 03 and up calipers that apparently fix the problem a direct swap?

Thanks for info in advance

You don't need to spend 2000 bucks. There are plenty of capable people over on TS, but there are a lot of asshats as well, you just have to be patient and find them.

People have had success buying brembo rotors (plain, no cryoed, drilled, or slotted) although a lot of guys like the added "protection" cryoed rotors give them. So, plain brembo rotors with high-end pads. A popular place for all of those components is tirerack.com.

I on the other hand said fawk it and went to NAPA. I ordered the best rotors they carried, and the best pads they had. Spent just over 200 bucks, and after an hour and a half of work, I was done. I haven't had a problem since. You only need to replace rotors and pads. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure your rear brake proportioning valve (underneath the truckbed on the crossmember) is working properly as the drums can warp as well, but that is WAY less common. You can read about that on TS.

Yes, the problem was fixed in 2003.

can you tell me more info on what rotors and pads you ended up buying? Are they slotted and cross drilled? Brand? $200 is nothing considering how good of a deal I got on the truck. I would like to fix this once, well until it is actually due for a brake change.

Thanks for the info

Nope, plain rotors. I went to NAPA, up to the counter, asked them about the rotors and bought the most expensive one, which was the heaviest duty one, and I then bought the most expensive pads they have, which again, should have the best wear and low dust (which has been true so far).

I'm putting Tundra brakes on my Tacoma, during the research I found out that sometime around the 03 models release Toyota upgraded the calipers and pads. Apparently the new calipers are quite a bit bigger. Supposed to fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom