Full length gusset on a 40 housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The front housing on my 40 got bent about a month and a half ago , so I called
Jeremiah Proffitt to see if he could come up with a way of gusseting through the entire length of the front axle housing . A couple of days later I was surfing around and found a link to diamond axle. I asked Jeremiah to add the ball gussets that diamond had on their page. Here's how it turned out . I like the way they incorporated the bump stop into the gusset.
IMG_9967.jpg
IMG_9971.jpg
IMG_9973.jpg

I hope its just the pic, but the housing looks warped from welding to me...

I beefed up the steering stops ONCE. Broke a knuckle casting after that and dont do it anymore.

Too Tall,

Have you gotten the front end together? How are the gussets working?

Do you think gussets on the top and bottom are necessary?

I was going to weld on just one on the bottom...
bottom gusset.jpg

It's back together but I haven't wheeled it yet. I think it'll hold up pretty well with my driving . The other one got bent when I asked somebody else to move my truck up a mountain road.I had to drive another vehicle . The only thing I can figure is he jumped my truck. I got back to town before I noticed how bent it was. Has anyonoe else had issues like this after jumping or having the front wheels come into contact with the ground after a little air or wheelstand? Just so everyone knows I don't jump my truck ,I'm quite mellow with it actually.

That's a bummer. Mental note to not let that guy borrow any of your rigs again!

Then again, nothing jumps quite like a rental....

Good luck getting it back together.

awp

too tall said:
It's back together but I haven't wheeled it yet. I think it'll hold up pretty well with my driving . The other one got bent when I asked somebody else to move my truck up a mountain road.I had to drive another vehicle . The only thing I can figure is he jumped my truck. I got back to town before I noticed how bent it was. Has anyonoe else had issues like this after jumping or having the front wheels come into contact with the ground after a little air or wheelstand? Just so everyone knows I don't jump my truck ,I'm quite mellow with it actually.

how do you know it wasn't damaged before you got him to move it up the road if you didn't notice it till later?

awp_cruiser said:
Too Tall,
Have you gotten the front end together? How are the gussets working?
Do you think gussets on the top and bottom are necessary?
I was going to weld on just one on the bottom...

I would put it on top and it'll double as a shock mount. And remember the force on top is compression but the bottom side has tension. I think a gusset will hold up better in compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom