Anyone trimmed the front bumper to improve angles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been thinking about this (not much yet) as an alternative to buying a heavier steel bumper for the front. I don't have winch plans yet and don't anticipate hitting any large marsupials but might need (or want) improved approach angles.

This is a new idea I'm just throwing out there. I haven't taken any measurements or anything.

Some bumpers are very easy to trim because they have sections below the main part that can be removed without looking like they have been cut. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to trim it without it looking like a hack job. I would be very interested to see pics if you attempt it though.

Amando & I simply removed the front bumper and trimmed the lower bracket off by 1" to get the maxed approach angle result.
Then we wrap around the 3/16" steel plates as far as in as we can and spot weld. There is simply no room for winch in this scheme as shown in the photo.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I think he was talking about trimming the bottom of the stock bumper so that it doesn't hang so low and hit rocks, etc. You and Amando have gone to a whole new level! Actually, about 3 new levels! :D

Great topic and idea. Look at the new thread regarding vehicle lengths....80 cs 100...SIZE MATTERS. The numbers are amazing though we're waiting for 2 more measurments to come in for comparison.

FirstToy said:
Greg B,
Here's another view. Notice he used the stock lamps in the bumper and also the paint cleans it up nice :) It's a very flattering design when you see it up close, not just in pics.

I agree, I like the look and the approach angle a lot! I've been tossing around the idea of a custom bumper because I really want to run a Ramsey RE 10 or 12K worm drive winch and there are no bumpers available for a 100 that will hold that winch. I just haven't been able to find a local fabricator to build it yet.

I want to build up my 100 one time and I want to do it right the "first" time. I just don't want to settle on something because what I really want is not available at the moment. Kind of like when Shotts was waiting on his rear bumper. I bet he is very glad he waited now. That Slee rear bumper is bad ass and I think he would be regretting a TJM rear bumper about now.

Greg B said:
I agree, I like the look and the approach angle a lot! I've been tossing around the idea of a custom bumper because I really want to run a Ramsey RE 10 or 12K worm drive winch and there are no bumpers available for a 100 that will hold that winch. I just haven't been able to find a local fabricator to build it yet.

I want to build up my 100 one time and I want to do it right the "first" time. I just don't want to settle on something because what I really want is not available at the moment. Kind of like when Shotts was waiting on his rear bumper. I bet he is very glad he waited now. That Slee rear bumper is bad ass and I think he would be regretting a TJM rear bumper about now.

Can I offer up some new (from me) advice about this? (And yes, I am soooo glad I waited for Slee's bumper) This advice is based on also having my 80 and considering the dimensions listed on that new thread.

It was a no-brainer FOR ME to only add the fanciest yet most aggressive aftermarket parts I could to my 100. I bought it new, it cost a fortune and I wanted to built it into one of those killer looking and working Cruisers like my Cruiser buddies had (their 80's). At the time though I didn't realize how much size had to do with extreme obstacles because I was a rookie.

Now I understand the advantages of lesser size and better angles. That's why I shortened the 80 to a point where it can do things my 80 buddies can't. That's where Amando is at and why I'm curious as to his vehicle length.

We're looking for a another 80 or 100 so we can keep the miles off our current ones. If we nail an 80 I'm going to trick it out. If we get a 100 I'll be building it even more aggressive than Amando's by cutting the actual frames just as I did with the 80.

My advice: The 100's biggest disadvantage are the overhangs front and rear. If you really want to wheel the thing, be aggressive like Amando or take it one step farther and cut those frames. Down-sizing the 100 is the best improvement you can make to increase the extreme 4-wheeling effectiveness. I guarantee you in a place like Moab Amando's got my 100 no problem. :cool:

Greg B said:
I've never removed my front bumper yet. When you say you trimmed the lower bracket off by 1", are you talking about a bracket that holds the stock bumper to the frame or are you talking about the end of the frame itself? Or is there some other bracket that is in the way that you trimmed in order to fit your custom bumper? I'm just trying to picture what you trimmed having never seen the inside of the bumper. Thanks,

Here is the "picture" for you. Thats what we did to Amando's, not mine. ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Snook said:
Here is the "picture" for you. Thats what we did to Amando's, not mine. ;)

Cheers,

Jay,
Thanks for spelling it out for me. Great illustration, sometimes a simple picture like that explains things so clearly. That was a great way to maximize the approach without altering the frame. Amando, very sweet bumper!

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Any good pics of Amando's rear bumper?

Here is a photo of his rear bumper before it was primed and painted black. Just like front, we are considering adding a removeable armor plate between his extended gas tank (it's armor, too) to the bottom of rear bumper.
BTW, it have a flushed rear trailer hitches, an optional part only for SOME late model LC.

Last edited:
I smashed the front right corner of my bumper this weekend and bent the right side of the steel impact bar underneath the plastic. I'm planning on doing some trimming and relocating the fog lights.

I'll take some pics too:)

calamaridog said:
LOL, yea, on purpose;)

I meant to drive through that nasty mud hole and slip into that boulder:D

Yer so full of poooop! You KNOW you did it on purpose. How else can you get that ARB bumper NOW rather than later. :D

Honesty, honesty, DOG! Yer amongst friends (we've all done the same!) :D

FirstToy said:
Greg B,
Image-FB67C9F795F711D9.jpg

Is that Steele Pass out in Death Valley, near the Eureka Sand Dunes?

Yup...

I have a better pic of that spot...

Of course, I am biased....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom