TLCA recruitment tool: FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G-Cat

SILVER Star
Threads
Like it or not, Toyota is about to release the best TLCA recruitment tool to hit the streets since 1983. After '83, each new model year had to be three or four years old before it became affordable to the likely TLCA member. Well, at the end of this year, Toyota gives us the best recruiting tool in over 20 years...

A quick read of the bylaws reveals that owners of a 2006 Toyota FJ Cruiser will be eligible for membership in the TLCA. So don’t use this thread as a forum to voice your opinions of the new truck, whether or not it’s a real Cruiser, etc….go to chat for that.

I think TLCA needs to make a concentrated effort to aggressively recruit new owners of the FJ Cruiser. We all know that this truck will sell like XTerras did during the first model year, and like H2s did when they were the hot new thing. Are these new owners the folks we want in the TLCA? Damn right. These will be young, active kids and men in mid-life crisis. These are the folks who will join the TLCA and local clubs and become as addicted to Cruisers as we are. A few issues of the Trails and they will be looking to buy an old stable mate to complement their new toy. They will wheel with us. The membership of TLCA could EASILY double or triple in one year if the effort is made to recruit these new Cruiser owners.

How? Well, that’s what this thread is meant to discover. Off of the top of my head, I’d say we need to provide dealers with application forms for both the TLCA and the local chapter to be included with each new FJ Cruiser sold. If you’re local chapter is big enough, with the right kind of relationship to the Toyota house, find a member that will offer a stockish FJ-40 for the dealership to display as the new FJ Cruiser hits their lot. Give them a chance to capitalize on the retro vibe of an old Cruiser while selling the new one and gaining us new members as they go.

Unlike the UZJ-100, that sold 8000-9000 units new (in 2004) to those less likely to join the TLCA, the new FJ Cruiser is being marketed to exactly the folks who will join and the truck will sell in significant quantities. It will sell to (positively speaking) young outdoor types who would love to show off their new Cruiser and hit the trails and campsites with other enthusiasts. Look at all of the H2 clubs that popped up after it's introduction. The new FJ Cruiser owner will say "Wow, coolest new vehicle going. I'll be one of the first to have one! What, there's a national Land Cruiser Club? I'm joining tomorrow!"

I know that there is a big membership drive afoot, and I know the guy in charge could sell ice to Eskimos. So let’s get the Toyota dealerships on board and get some of these FJ Cruiser owners in the TLCA. I can’t come up with a negative.

Last edited:
I think you should have an FJ Cruiser section then. I really think someone will start a FJCruiser.com forum (never checked) but that would be smart if it was you (TLCA or ih8mud mod?)

find me some FJCruiser threads...I'll have one started by this afternoon....

Garth:
Way to be forward thinking! I like it. Since this is your big idea, I nominate you to run with it. I will "post your post" to the tlca bod mailing list.
the only point of contention I have with you is that tlca needs more male men in the middle of a mid life crisis as members. I think probably just me, nolen and todd is enough.

Great idea, what do you think the demographics of these people walking into toyota and buying these vehicles will be?

Thinking expensive toy, no better than what was described as the 1984 + cruisers that could not be afforded by the standard cruiser head?

I think the 80 series groupe is your next best kick, they out number most of us and they are now able to wheel these rigs hard due to either the drop in price or just plain ability to have fun in a very capable rig.

Hope this new cruiser will congure up some new members and I do look forward to the latest Landcruiser Toytoa has to offer and hope to see much more of it on the trails.

People who love thier vehicles like to talk about them and I hope TLCA gives them that acceptance they are looking for.

Obviously Woody and his gang of moderators on Mud are doing a great job themselves to get more and more crusier heads in touch, the level of courtesy and answering Newbie questions without baggering is less intimidating.

I tell everyone of my customer about Mud and more importantly TLCA, they seem to drop in on Mud and feel out the waters first.

To tell you the truth I was more interested in the TLC Magazine, also a very important tool.

Cheers.

Radd Cruisers said:
To tell you the truth I was more interested in the TLC Magazine, also a very important tool.

Cheers.

Radd, are you talking about TLCA's mag: Toyota Trails?
Are you a tlca member? If not, I'd be glad to send you a copy or 10 to keep around your shop, along with some membership apps:)

Alan

Chef said:
Radd, are you talking about TLCA's mag: Toyota Trails?
Are you a tlca member? If not, I'd be glad to send you a copy or 10 to keep around your shop, along with some membership apps:)

Alan

Yes I am a bussiness member as of last month and have recieved my first copy of the trails Mag.

Oh I would love to have some back issues, apps would be a great idea also.

Thanks
Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Yes I am a bussiness member as of last month and have recieved my first copy of the trails Mag.

Oh I would love to have some back issues, apps would be a great idea also.

Thanks
Rob

Thanks for joining! Send me your snail addy, I'll ship you some back issues. If you have the current issue, the membership app is in there. You can copy it and keep several around...you can also download pdf:
http://www.tlca.org/membership/individual_app.pdf

Alan

Radd Cruisers said:
Great idea, what do you think the demographics of these people walking into toyota and buying these vehicles will be?

Cheers.

People have said it before, it will be like the Xterra market I think.
Hopefully it will do for TLCA as Toyota hopes it will do it's market: attract young buyers, and young at heart :)

An interesting phenomena with the Honda Element; it was targeted for 20-somethings but the majority of buyers are 40-somethings!
I think it's just a matter of uniqe, good products attracting buyers no matter what the intended market.

I think it will be great to have new, enthusiastic wheelers. Continue the offroad Toyota heritage.

On another note: Somone owns FJCruiser.com it's a 40 owner, but it looks like FJCruiserforum.com is available? :) TLCA wanna snap that up?

edit: Oh, I just noticed Mud snapped up FJcruiser.org! good work!

fjcruiser.net
fj-cruiser.org
fj-cruiser.net
retrofj.com

;)

and now, fjcruiserforum.com too

fj-cruiser.com is for sale, believe $45k....and no, not by me either...lol

that's great!

This is going to be great, another forum for Toyota 4x4's and with the familiar mechanicals it will just mean more products will be developed for the 120 platform. I'm excited...well it's still a couple years away but...:)

woody said:
fjcruiser.net
fj-cruiser.org
fj-cruiser.net
retrofj.com

;)

and now, fjcruiserforum.com too

fj-cruiser.com is for sale, believe $45k....and no, not by me either...lol

Friggin' awesome. I can't imagine what chat would have looked like on Wednesday had you not created the FJ Cruiser Forum.

Okay, Chef, I'm in. But, seeing as I can't visit every Toyota Dealership in the nation, where can I get:

1) a list of all TLCA Chapter reps
2) where can I (they) download/copy TLCA membership forms and can TLCA do something to the form to include/entice a new FJ Cruiser owner?

That will get me started, you'll just have to figure out how to preside over an organization 4-6 thousand strong. ;)

This is a really good idea, should result in a lot of member prospects.

I am just curious, what is the relationship at this time that the TLCA shares with Toyota Motors USA? Is it just advertising? Are there some corporate management types involved in TLCA chapters? Maybe it would be a good thing to comp a few memberships at the top - at least to the FJ Cruiser team managers and see if some strings can be pulled to get a TLCA memebership app included in some factory literature, kinda like a welcome pack for new owners or something. At least an issue of Trails or something, hopefully sponsored by the selling dealership. Endorsement by Toyota would be great as well.

There are a lot of haters on here who are stuck in their ways on the new vehicle, understandable opinions for purists of the LC brand, but in the large picture it would be good for the TLCA and great for outdoor and offroad recreation in general to get some of the future owners on-board and brainwashed with some TLCA propaganda right from the start:D An info packet on Tread Lightly and some coupons from vendors might start some of the younger market off on the right foot in this hobby.

I vote that the TLCA get toyota to run a give away for TLCA members (like me:D ) Great idea and I'll keep pushing the TLCA and loving the best darn dirt rag out there....Toyota Trails!

Have a question for Administration.

How affiliated with the Toyota Land Cruiser Assocaition is the IH8Mud.com forum?

The reason I ask is because if I was a newbie and I catch wind of the TLCA, and decide to do a google search, I will easily find TLCA.org.

GREAT!! However, I went out to TLCA.org and it would take a bunch of searching to find IH8Mud.com and when you do, it is under the business section.

May I suggest that if we want to see higher IH8Mud.com participation from TLCA members and this is the 'official' forum, then a link on the TLCA.org site to this forum should be made more clear and obvious.

Just a suggestion and in response to a TLCA recruitment tool. This board is an invaluable tool. Need to show that TLCA is an invaluable tool as well.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom