Harmonic Balancer Rubber Ring ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
I was washing off the inch of smegma on the Harmonic Balancer, and when clean, I noticed this rubber ring and coating coming off.. What's is for? And should I just remove it or try to glue it back?

Or am I buggered for a new one?

(Was washing in paint thinner, if that matters...)

gear0002.jpg

HB's use an elastomeric rubber sandwiched between the outer steels. What you are seeing is the edges of the rubber. The sandwiched rubber is what cancels out the bad vibes on the crank, so if you see deterioration, it's time for a new HB. It will sooner or later, totally delaminate. Sooner if the unseen elastomer is in the same shape as what's pictured.
Did the paint thinner sit a long time, cause rubber and paint thinner don't jive well, if I recall.

No, only had it in the parts cleaner maybe a minute or two before I noticed the rubber and rinsed in soap and water, so I think the deterioration was already there... You think it's probably safer to just replace with new?

Barring someone with cruiser specific knowledge chimes in later, I'm gonna say yep.
Let's get a concensus.

I see MAF offers an aftermarket LINK for 250 bones. Or you think OEM is the way to go ??

Your harmonic balancer is fine, no need to worry.

If you get a new send the old one to me.

Your harmonic balancer is fine, no need to worry.

If you get a new send the old one to me.

Really?

That seal surface area looks like s*** to me....

attachment.php

Well, the machined seal surface could just need a date w/ some emery cloth strips, and a properly sized Speedi-Sleeve.

Rubber and thinner might not mix well, but what about rubber and oil? some 20 years of old oil and residue will make it look like that, mine does, but I do not think it goes further than the edge of the rubber. I have seen them separate completely, byt not on an TOYO, it was on a Peugeot (french car) the balancer on that could be moved by hand. Bad deal when it is the harmonic balancer that controls the marks for the timing belt! (sidetracking, sorry)
My 0.02c says, if you can't feel any play(and feel with a big screwdriver, moderate force) then it is purely cosmetic

My 0.02c says, if you can't feel any play(and feel with a big screwdriver, moderate force) then it is purely cosmetic

Fair enough, why not install it and give it a good watchful eye?

I think I'm gonna have to reuse it, too many expenditures right now on other items to pop $450 on a new one. As Mr. Coyote suggested, a speedie-sleeve and a watchful eye will have to do it for now.

If anyone is interested, the one MAF sells is made by DON KYATT, in Australia. As far as I can tell (From Australian boards), they make quality parts (Can any Oz mudders jump in here?) and price would be a little over $300 shipped. MAF is out of 'em. $OR wants 300 for used.

Part # 13470-61010A

Anyone know other sources? :cheers:

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom