Very Sluggish performance. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just rebuilt the top end of my 22re. All vaccumm lines are new, there does not appear to be any leaks anywhere, the compression numbers are ok, idle is set and timing is set at about 6 btdc. The engine runs and revs fine, but as soon as it's under a load(driving, it can barely accelerate. Once the rpm's hit about 3k, then it starts to feel a bit peppier, but still slow. Any ideas?

Also after it's maiden voyage,(5k) I came home to see what was going on with it, and one of the spark plug wires had cooked itself. anybody know what may have caused this? I replaced the wire and drove around the block, still same sluggishness?????
Any help out there toyota guru's?

cam timing?

First thing to check on a low power complaint:
When the gas pedal is floored, it the throttle actually wide open?

Next thing on my list would be ignition or cam timing.
Check the compression. If it is at the bottom edge of acceptable, or even below, then suspect the timing chain is off one or two teeth.

Wish it was something as simple as that. I can sit in neutral and rev the engine till I'm blue in the face. As soon as it's in gear and I'm letting out the clutch, the problems arise. Compression is 165-155-150-145 front to back. Any ideas????

make sure you installed the distributor right.
wrong would be setting #1 on the dist. to the TDC on the intake stroke. : doh:
i guess that if that happened, it would be running terrible, and making lots of noise.

The first time I had to set the timing on a 22re, I made a noobie goof and didn't jump the two pins on the diagnostic port properly. This resulted in timing that was significantly off from where it should be. Everything seemed fine but the performance was lack luster -- much like you describe. Might be something to check.

:beer:

I still don't get what jumping that lead does. It seems my timing reads the same whether it's being jumped or not. So what does that mean?

You're not getting a good electrical connection with your paperclip. When you successfully jump the two pins, you'll hear the RPMs slow and your check engine light will flash on and off continually (or at least my 1990 22re does.)

Well, that makes a lot more sense at least. So does someone know what jumping that lead is actually doing? I assume it is changing some setting in the ecu, but what and how. Doesn't really matter, i'm just curious. Also, I have the small yellow 2 prong plug on the driver's side inner fender wall, but I also have a "diagnostic" plug coming out of thewire harness on the pass. side fender. I've tried to set the timing with both of these terminals jumped, and neither one seemed to make any difference. Which years used which one? Should I have both, or has someone put a newer engine/ecu whatever into this truck. Mines supposed to be an 85, how can I verify the year of the engine or computer?

Well, that makes a lot more sense at least. So does someone know what jumping that lead is actually doing? I assume it is changing some setting in the ecu, but what and how. Doesn't really matter, i'm just curious. Also, I have the small yellow 2 prong plug on the driver's side inner fender wall, but I also have a "diagnostic" plug coming out of thewire harness on the pass. side fender. I've tried to set the timing with both of these terminals jumped, and neither one seemed to make any difference. Which years used which one? Should I have both, or has someone put a newer engine/ecu whatever into this truck. Mines supposed to be an 85, how can I verify the year of the engine or computer?

check out this thread. to determine the year of the ecu, copy the part number down and see if your dealer parts counter can cross reference it. chances are it will have an updated p/n, but they will be able to tell you what year it is for.

Well, I decided to test my tps. Turns out that even though I put it back onto the throttle body exactly where I had marked, it was still off by a hair, and wasn't sending the right resistance when closed, that meant all the other settings were off, and I couldn't properly set my timing.

That being said, I still had to jump the "diagnostic"plug on the wire harness on the Pass. side fender well. The yellow two prong on the drivers side does nothing when jumped. So since my Toy is an 85, does this mean a newer engine has been put in already, or that 85 was a crossover year? Either way, once I jumped the terminal the idle dropped, and my timing was around 20 ABOVE tdc. So set it properly, tightened er up, and took it for a boot. Probably 4-5 times faster, and no hesitation or stumbling, super smooth.

if you have a black diag. port on the pass. side of engine, near the fender, it may be either en engine from, or engine, AND wiring harness from an 87!!
I have an 86, and I DON'T have the black diag. port, but my friend's does and his is an 87...HTH
T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom