I love the look!
Pretty confident these are the only OE Porsche seats in a 40 .... sans maybe any Recaro LS or similar - which don't exactly count.
I have to park her outside for a few weeks (while hopefully still squeezing in some work) to get a customer car inside.
Next on the...
Made up some seat sliders for the drivers seat. Previously, the old (crappy) seat was held into the toolbox lid with 2 #12 self tappers. Real secure :P
As such, the driver's seat sat about 3" lower than the passenger - which was basically flush to the .25" sliders on the gas tank...
Cut up some gasket material for the new seat sliders.
Drilled the holes and added gaskets to the tail gate...
The water jet at my work is down for the next 2 months, when repaired I will cut some cleaner looking seals up.
Definitely a ton of progress.
For a good comparison, here is the...
Last weekend I laid paint down on the car.
I had a local shop auto paint color match 5 aerosol cans. Worked.... OK. It's a decent match, but doesnt look dead on like Freeborn.
Kinda looks like s***, but I am also thrilled with how far it's come.
I think a wet sand will help freshen it...
Welded the semi-repaired tool box back in. I also rolled up the cross arch that goes over the trans tunnel.
Coated the new floor in primer so it could sit around for a week until i could get back to it.
Started my least favorite part (Messy!)
Base prime and block sanding. (I used a 2k...
Tons of updates.
Opened my tool box for the first time. Yikes. Lots of cool old replaced ignition bits in there.
Cut the floor out, POR 15 the channels:
Made a new floor out of some 16 gauge scrap I had laying around.
Also, sheared up some .187 thick steel for a sturdy...
I have decided to use a spare set of buckets seats I had laying around. They are amazing and should fit well with the truck.
These are mid 70's Porsche "Pascha" seats. Pattern used in the both 911 and 928.
Here I am making up some 1/4" steel brackets for mounting of the passenger...
First coat of raptor liner
I know the transition for the bed to the to the rear sill is really ugly. I will be screwing down a stainless kick transition for that area.
3 Coats - definitely helps to hide the many imperfections.
Tons of updates. You don't feel like you make progress that's worth sharing on a day to day - but look back after 4 or 5 weeks and it starts to look like a lot!
I feel a little bad about all this work, I am rushing through a lot of it. But a fix is a fix.
Repairing the rust on...
Remade a fresh bed support.
My brake is only 30" wide, so I had to make it out of 2 pieces and overlap in the middle. Fits great!
Fixing one of the ambulance doors rust - this was a done a bit ago, but hadn't shared in this thread.
Made these with the shrinker/stretcher and brake...
Side note: I am posting from my phone, apologies if the photo sized is messed up.
This is the culprit of my sagging top.
2 pieces. Also including a hem. Needed for left and right sides.
Taking some measurements. Wont be able to get it perfect. The inside radius is different for every bend...
Hey guys. Another day in the shop.
Big items on my list this weekend:
-Finish the passenger rocker
-start attacking the rust on the hardtop.
-Make some new parts.
As for the top, the rear lower (either side of the rear doors) flange and the “swallow tail” shaped curves are almost completely...
That was more long winded than I expected.
That brings us up to last night. Same but different. I cut out the final large body panel that needed replaced - the passenger rocker:
I already shared a photo up top of the inner rocker and floor structure that I fabbed up.
Some trimming to...
Several hours of grinding and hammer and dolly work later. Looks like it never happened.
Here is the rear end as it sits as of 12/12/22.
I touched on it earlier, but you can see the frame is on stands. I had to snip the body up to adjust some angles. The drivers side needs...
Always good to see someone spending time on an Ironhead! Nice work!
Fabricated wings for a new rear sill. Did not want to spend the $400 on this, but it certainly would have saved a ton of time. (and fit better)
They are ugly due to the galvanized coating - and the poor...
Here's the shovel as it sits today - 85% done:
Making pipes for it:
Keen eyes will see that I got much nicer, but still rusty top.
I like the flip windows and ambi doors better.
I had a plan to run a tail gate with the top halves of the ambi doors, so I cut mine down. (The...