24v to 12v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just bought a BJ74 with the 13bt in it. Im replacing the head unit, I noticed with the previous one that someone just took the power source straight from the battery.. the more I read I see this isn't a great idea so I ripped that out and a bunch of other wires that were in a huge mess (guessing for previous amp and sub that aren't there anymore) so just starting again and want to do it right. Was thinking of buying an Aerpro 24v to 12v converter 12A but not sure where to wire that into. The cigarette lighter and Clock are always on, is this normal or should I look into rewiring that too?
Any help is much appreciated, been wrapping my head around this for days 😅 haven't had a 24v system before.

There are 24V head units but they are pretty basic. Many fridges, USB adapters and LED lights are also compatible with 24V. If you require a mid/high end stereo system with amplifiers and such, then that won't work. I am considering these options but have not run them yet....

A) 24v to 12v (20A) switched power supply

or if you want your accessories on a separate battery, look into B) 24v to 12v battery charger and adding a 12v, 3rd battery for your aux accessories.

They offer higher current chargers as well.

Just get a big ass 24 to 12v converter, like a 1000W or bigger. Run a decent deck, amp, speakers and a small sub off it. You can get sub/amp combo units that will fit under your seat and a good Excelon deck and run x4 speakers off that. Should give you alright sound. Had a similar setup in my 24v 60 series. You could go overboard and get ridiculous, but really the easiest most effective is to run a converter.

I answered in your parallel post here.

Was thinking of buying an Aerpro 24v to 12v converter 12A
12A is barely enough. A radio is fused 10A, a normal socket minimum 10A, a USB 5A.
Go for minimum 240W (20A) or more if you plan multiple appliances and outlets.

Cheers Ralf.

Of consideration for me and maybe others, is running a HAM radio. I suspect the 3rd battery would be the best option and would reduce the chance of unwanted noise/RFI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom