Rivian vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Homes are being built everywhere, all the time. The grid will expand and improve.

Also.. “true intellectual”!!?!? In this context that’s the funniest s*** I’ve seen in weeks.
Building new homes might be expansion but it does not necessarily mean improvement. Will it have to be done eventually? Yes... but it is a bigger undertaking then most people realize.

Building new homes might be expansion but it does not necessarily mean improvement. Will it have to be done eventually? Yes... but it is a bigger undertaking then most people realize.
I listened to a fascinating podcast about the snowmageddon blackouts here in Texas in 21, and they talked about an actual grid failure and what it would take to bring it back on line. Literally, it could take months just to restore balance to the grid in the event of a true failure and total shut down.

Just to add some context.. yeah, it would be a huge undertaking. But it’s not like we snap our fingers and suddenly 80% of vehicles on the road are electric. They will roll out relatively slowly and the infrastructure will have time to adapt.

IMO “what about the grid?!?” is fear mongering when we consider the realistic rate of deployment of these vehicles.

If you're in such a love fest with your BPV then why even keep the 200?

There is no world platform BPV can compete on any level with a 200 series on a world platform.
That's why you'll keep your 200 because deep down inside you know the fancy golf cart just won't do.

Clearly everyone here who purchased a LC200 series new could have afforded a BPV.
Lots of people simply don't want a BPV.

Even Toyota, who by any estimation has far more experience than anyone with Hybrid and battery tech stated that BPVs were a road to nowhere.

Assume what you wish as it relates to my experience or lack thereof.
You can't pretend to be intellectually superior and assume at the same time. True intellectuals don't make assumptions.
I’ll keep it because most likely these current crazy used car prices won’t hold for the next 2-3+ years that it will take for me to get my EV truck. I hope I’m wrong but guessing in 2025 my 2013 LX that will have 120-130k miles on it will be worth ~$15-20k. For me not worth enough to sell as I’ll Most likely I’ll pass it along to one of my kids to further beat up and abuse. I also tend to hold on to reliable vehicles for a long time. My kids are driving a 2004 MB e320 and a 2006 Subaru we’ve had since new. I also have this hope that eventually there will be an EV crate motor that could be used for a conversion, Ford has one out there.

If I could get a 400-500 mile EV truck today, given right now I could sell my LX for $55-60k it would be gone in a heartbeat.

I listened to a fascinating podcast about the snowmageddon blackouts here in Texas in 21, and they talked about an actual grid failure and what it would take to bring it back on line. Literally, it could take months just to restore balance to the grid in the event of a true failure and total shut down.

Just to add some context.. yeah, it would be a huge undertaking. But it’s not like we snap our fingers and suddenly 80% of vehicles on the road are electric. They will roll out relatively slowly and the infrastructure will have time to adapt.

IMO “what about the grid?!?” is fear mongering when we consider the realistic rate of deployment of these vehicles.
If things were allowed to happen "naturally' this would be the case, but it isn't. Forced bans on ICE engines with mandatory timelines throw that concept out the window. Just look at Europe and see what they are going through with energy. The government always finds a way to mess things up.

It is only fear mongering if it doesn't come true. If I had to put money on it, my money would be on rolling blackouts + crazy kw/hr costs. There is money to be made that way, the other way, not so much...and politicians always make them and their "circle" money regardless if it is the best way to do things for the people or not.

Worrying about the electrical infrastructure to support EVs is fear mongering. Sure, it'll need to shift and change, as with any infrastructure. It's already done a ton of changing for solar and renewable sources. And will need new and additional generation beyond that. But it also has pretty huge excess delivery capacity as is.

Electrical infrastructure is sized for peak loads. There's ample margin and bandwidth outside of peak, when electrical demands fall. Like nighttime. There will be new paradigms to supporting peak loads with distributed sources such as some of the battery stations Tesla has installed in regions. That can be taken further where EVs wouldn't just charge, but can be part of the support peak loads.

If cars can run on fuel, gas, hydrogen, whatever, than there can be power plants that do this at industrial scale to create electricity in even more efficient fashion.

in even more efficient fashion.

And there is the critical difference. Ultimately moving people and their crap happens more efficiently when burning the fuel at scale in a power station and generating electricity, even when you need to Tx that electricity over great distances, than when burning the stuff in the vehicle directly and converting it to motion.

The move toward greater efficiency will happen, eventually, whether certain people like it or not.

Worrying about the electrical infrastructure to support EVs is fear mongering. Sure, it'll need to shift and change, as with any infrastructure. It's already done a ton of changing for solar and renewable sources. And will need new and additional generation beyond that. But it also has pretty huge excess delivery capacity as is.

Electrical infrastructure is sized for peak loads. There's ample margin and bandwidth outside of peak, when electrical demands fall. Like nighttime. There will be new paradigms to supporting peak loads with distributed sources such as some of the battery stations Tesla has installed in regions. That can be taken further where EVs wouldn't just charge, but can be part of the support peak loads.

If cars can run on fuel, gas, hydrogen, whatever, than there can be power plants that do this at industrial scale to create electricity in even more efficient fashion.
I guess we will circle back and see what happens.

I guess we will circle back and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, there will certainly be trials and tribulations as things change. Doesn't mean it's not viable.

Those driving gas cars in CA today - I'm sure you've read about the pain of gas prices here. There's still ongoing reserve and supply challenges after how many years of infrastructure being in place? None of this is immune.

Only way is to diversify, and I'm glad I have both ICE and EVs at my disposal. And a trusty Land Cruiser to ride out of the zombie apocalypse.

Don't get me wrong, there will certainly be trials and tribulations as things change. Doesn't mean it's not viable.

Those driving gas cars in CA today - I'm sure you've read about the pain of gas prices here. There's still ongoing reserve and supply challenges after how many years of infrastructure being in place? None of this is immune.

Only way is to diversify, and I'm glad I have both ICE and EVs at my disposal. And a trusty Land Cruiser to ride out of the zombie apocalypse.
Not sure that you can compare electric infrastructure to high gas prices………..your analogy does not make sense.

Gas prices can go down with proper management of the resources beneath our land. It is high because of green crap projects and political reasons and other whatnots. It has nothing to do with lacking natural resources nor lacking gas stations nor too many cars on the road that there is not enough gas to go around nor gas stations have to ration because too many cars lining up to get gas, nor gas prices go up during summer heat because overload of demand for gas resulting in intermittent shutdown of drilling etc.

Not sure that you can compare electric infrastructure to high gas prices………..your analogy does not make sense.

Gas prices can go down with proper management of the resources beneath our land. It is high because of green crap projects and political reasons and other whatnots. It has nothing to do with lacking natural resources nor lacking gas stations nor too many cars on the road that there is not enough gas to go around nor gas stations have to ration because too many cars lining up to get gas, nor gas prices go up during summer heat because overload of demand for gas resulting in intermittent shutdown of drilling etc.
I’m pissed off I read this. I’m still trying to figure out wtf is your point.

I’m pissed off I read this. I’m still trying to figure out wtf is your point.
If you do not understand then it is not meant to be. Don’t get piss at me, direct your anger at your elementary teachers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom