HZJ77 tail lights not working (reverse, brake, emergency, indicator and licence plate lights working though) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team,

my tail lights have stopped working on my HZJ77 – I checked the fuse and she looks fine (although there is a 15amp fuse in there instead of a 20amp, but that shouldn't be the problem).

Anyone got an idea what the culprit could be? I'd be lying if I'd say I am experienced with car electronics.

Cheers!

Based off your post, you make it seem like both left and right side are not working. Is that correct? If so, I bet the wiring got disrupted between the switch and the tail lights somehow. Try a 20 amp fuse first before digging too deep or throwing too much time on it.

I have had a tail light go out on my HZJ77 before but not both sides at the same time so for me it was just a matter of putting in a new bulb.

Last edited:
Yep, sorrry – I should have clarified that. Both are out and both seemingly went out at the same time.

Do you happen to know which side the truck the wiring runs through? I might have a suspicion what could have caused it.

Sweet, will try a 20amp fuse.

The wiring for the taillights goes down the right side first then splits over to the the left side lights along the rear. That is how I saw the layout on mine when I tapped into the wiring for my rear kaymar bumper lights.

It is possible it could be the bulbs although it is crazy it would be both at the same time. The OEM bulbs are dual filament (one for tail light and one for brake light) so if the tail light filament burns out only, the brake light filament will continue to work.

I changed the fuse but still nothing, but – I knocked against the lights on either side and they quickly light up when knocked. There must be something loose, but where? If it would just be the one I'd take the light out, but given it is both I am unsure where to look first?!

I'd first remove one bulb and check on current in the socket with a voltmeter.
As said, the wirering should run right hand side, below the door sill to the back and then splits and crosses to the left. There are sockets / plugs at each side that connect the various rear lights & indicators. Accessible when removing the side trim panel (right) or even only the tools & jack comartnrnt cover (left). (Well thats the way it is on my BJ73).
You could check current at those plugs, too.
Unfortunately I can't tell the routing on the dashboard side...
Good luck Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom