Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk July 2024 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a reminder to bring gifts for the ferry driver at Fort McPherson, stop at the campground on the Ogillvie river just past the road maintenance station and stop at Eagle plains for last gas & food for AWHILE

Just a reminder to bring gifts for the ferry driver at Fort McPherson, stop at the campground on the Ogillvie river just past the road maintenance station and stop at Eagle plains for last gas & food for AWHILE

We will keep this in mind :) Great tip thank you!

I am considering crossing into the US since I have been crossed many times in Canada + the Diesel is cheaper on your side of the border!

I loved that trip. I was mistaken about the campground on top of hill in Tuk, that was in Inuvit. The road was not open and we flew to Tuk from Inuvit. Also, the little log store on you left before you cross big bridge & river is last stop before eagle plains or used to be.

I loved that trip. I was mistaken about the campground on top of hill in Tuk, that was in Inuvit. The road was not open and we flew to Tuk from Inuvit. Also, the little log store on you left before you cross big bridge & river is last stop before eagle plains or used to be.

You should come again and guide us!

This might be my route if anyone has some suggestions going through North Dakota, Montana & Washington state let me know!

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 10.16.55 PM.png

Take the cassair north outa Vancouver thru Bell and Bell 2, , trust me

Sort of, thats just a pin on the actual city of Cassair. Leave Vancouver (IIRC its the 5) go thru Hell's Gate continue north to Prince George , go left ( IIRC its the 16/37) follow 37 to Watson Lake, go left, stop in whitehorse and take the river boat ride thru devils caldroun, turn right on the 2 after white horse, the dempster ( its 5 again IIRC) ties in just short of Dawson City. IMO , go to Dawson, check it out, then backtrack a bit and head up north on the 5 to eagle plains. Search " Cassair Hwy", click on bells travel guide, its the first one that showed up, once in the Bell's Travel Guide site, click on maps, scroll down to Alaska Highway Map, print that, its good. I'm sure you know but bring goggles just in case the windscreen gets blown out, pul over when the BIG trucks come by, they don't even care, on the looser gravel I would pull as far as you can they kick out a rooster of gravel. On the way back, go back to Dawson, take the ferry across river, just up the road on your right is a nice campground and you can walk to ferry and walk all around Dawson, the campground is a nice one right on the Yukon, then take Top of World hwy( which is a right out of the campground instead of back across river to Dawson) over to Tok, then ride the Alcan back, that way you see more of it.
Along the Top of World Hwy you get to visit Chicken , AK, worth a stop, check out the mail room. You'll also get to experience one of the wierdest border crossings ever, gravel rod for miles, top of mountain, small building, thats it, carry on, might be more substantial now but was really just like a ranger station when I went. Be prepared , it is not unusual to see nobody for days, I picked up a guy who blew a tire and made a camp in the woods , he hiked to road every day for 7 days before I came by, drove 250 miles for that guy, its like that up there.

Last edited:
Sort of, thats just a pin on the actual city of Cassair. Leave Vancouver (IIRC its the 5) go thru Hell's Gate continue north to Prince George , go left ( IIRC its the 16/37) follow 37 to Watson Lake, go left, stop in whitehorse and take the river boat ride thru devils caldroun, turn right on the 2 after white horse, the dempster ( its 5 again IIRC) ties in just short of Dawson City. IMO , go to Dawson, check it out, then backtrack a bit and head up north on the 5 to eagle plains. Search " Cassair Hwy", click on bells travel guide, its the first one that showed up, once in the Bell's Travel Guide site, click on maps, scroll down to Alaska Highway Map, print that, its good. I'm sure you know but bring goggles just in case the windscreen gets blown out, pul over when the BIG trucks come by, they don't even care, on the looser gravel I would pull as far as you can they kick out a rooster of gravel. On the way back, go back to Dawson, take the ferry across river, just up the road on your right is a nice campground and you can walk to ferry and walk all around Dawson, the campground is a nice one right on the Yukon, then take Top of World hwy( which is a right out of the campground instead of back across river to Dawson) over to Tok, then ride the Alcan back, that way you see more of it.
Along the Top of World Hwy you get to visit Chicken , AK, worth a stop, check out the mail room. You'll also get to experience one of the wierdest border crossings ever, gravel rod for miles, top of mountain, small building, thats it, carry on, might be more substantial now but was really just like a ranger station when I went. Be prepared , it is not unusual to see nobody for days, I picked up a guy who blew a tire and made a camp in the woods , he hiked to road every day for 7 days before I came by, drove 250 miles for that guy, its like that up there.

Thanks, Mate will be looking to go there on this trip aprreciated!

Quick update on this trail event unfortunately my truck is still not operational. I have to postpone the event on my end till next summer 2023

Shoot, just saw this thread. Drove up to Tuktoyaktuk from Portland Oregon and got to the Arctic Ocean sign in Tuk on June 23rd. 1983 FJ60 with 1hz swap. Had no issues with cruiser at all and was with two kids, wife and 13 year old labrador. An amazing trip and highly recommend it to anyone who has the time to do it!

Last edited:
Shoot, just saw this thread. Drove up to Tuktoyaktuk from Portland Oregon and got to the Arctic Ocean sign in Tuk on June 23rd. 1983 FJ60 with 1hz swap. Had no issues with cruiser at all and was with two kids, wife and 13 year old labrador. An amazing trip and highly recommend it to anyone who has the time to do it!

How was the border crossing? I haven’t paid any attention recently to see how that’s going these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom