Some confusion regarding 15" wheels and rear discs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just to add to the debate, I ran into another Cruiserhead the other day. He has a bone-stock 1992 HDJ81 (JDM spec) with rear discs/full floater, and the regular 15" alloys seen on SR5 trucks and the 1991-1992 FJ80 sold in the States.

So does this mean the JDM calipers are different (smaller) or does it mean 15" SR5 wheels will fit the NA calipers?

Just to add to the debate, I ran into another Cruiserhead the other day. He has a bone-stock 1992 HDJ81 (JDM spec) with rear discs/full floater, and the regular 15" alloys seen on SR5 trucks and the 1991-1992 FJ80 sold in the States.

So does this mean the JDM calipers are different (smaller) or does it mean 15" SR5 wheels will fit the NA calipers?
I bet you the rotors are smaller and thinner and unfortunately it's braking should fall well behind.

Many years ago I upgraded my FJ40 which had JDM full floating drum brake rear axle with front rotors and calipers. Since mine had the hand brake through shoes and drum after the transfer, the adaptation was not so difficult and it's braking capability was astonishing but keep in mind it weight a lot less than the 80 series.

By the way next week finally I will start it's overhauling after 3 years of taking dust in my garage.

Last edited:
The rear discs on 90 to ~8/92 JDM 81's were smaller than the ones used post ~8/92 in both the US and JDM models. The rear rotors are 312mm OD and 18mm thick rather than the 336mm OD and 18mm thick rotors used post ~8/92.

Calipers are the same but mounted ~12mm closer to the axle centerline.

Ah, well there you go. Might be an avenue to pursue for the Americans and Canadians who want to fit 15" rims on rear disc NA models.

Old thread, but I am searching around and having a hard time getting an answer. I have a 94' US spec. FJ80.
Can I run the 15" SR5 wheels like came on the early FJ80s with my rear disc. I love those wheels.

IMG_7236.jpg

Old thread, but I am searching around and having a hard time getting an answer. I have a 94' US spec. FJ80.
Can I run the 15" SR5 wheels like came on the early FJ80s with my rear disc. I love those wheels.

View attachment 1541490

You can but requires spacers not many people are going to go down to a 15" wheel though your tire size and selection becomes pretty limited to just handful of sizes and brands. Plus spacers can be dangerous depending on how you drive your 80 and I think you still might have to do some grinding on the caliper to get it to fit.

I have a '92 and as much as I loved the stock 15" wheels, getting tires I wanted was limited. Plus, I dumped the drum-brake simi-float rear axle for a '96 full-float with disk brakes, but moved to 16" steelies.. Sorry, I'm of no use here, but I would hate to have less brakes that I have now which is not enough to begin with! I'm in "truck driver" mode all the time as my rig is my daily driver.

spacers and/or careful grinding of the pad carrier bracket will be required. I fit 7x15" steelies from my 84 pickup onto my 97 LX450 with minor clearancing of the rear pad carrier bracket.

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

I've got a JDM 91 HDJ81 rear axle that I want to put under my fj40. I don't care about 15" rims (will run 17s) but I need parts for this. Both backing plates are rusted to nothing and I don't have the calipers.

Can I bolt up the 93+ backing plates and calipers or is the housing different?

The housing is the same as are the calipers. Just the caliper mounting brackets and dust shields are different. Everything else should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom