Still broke... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 2 months of waiting around my new head from "Australia" finally came in and was installed. The fit and finish is absolutely wonderful but now my PSI across the range is about 250 to 300. My vehicle also smokes worse than Snoop Dogg and Bob Marley and I have a s*** ton of blow by. Things to know to my number four piston wobbles in it's sleeve and I have corrosion on the rear number for cylinder wall. I did get the head that had the notch at the top because it is supposed to be for both style blocks.

Im surprised you didnt see all that when you ordered another head. Your engine (most people tell us what it is) needed a total rebuild with new sleeves and a new head as well.
If you are trying to say the engine is worse once the new head went on, thats not unusual. Once you close off the compression leakage via the cylinder head, it increases the compression and the next weakest point, which is usually the rings, begin to leak and this is where your increased blow by is coming from.
Back to the drawing board.

Im surprised you didnt see all that when you ordered another head. Your engine (most people tell us what it is) needed a total rebuild with new sleeves and a new head as well.
If you are trying to say the engine is worse once the new head went on, thats not unusual. Once you close off the compression leakage via the cylinder head, it increases the compression and the next weakest point, which is usually the rings, begin to leak and this is where your increased blow by is coming from.
Back to the drawing board.
[/QUOTE

I'm not doing the work, I had a shop that came recommended do the work for me. My next plan of attack is going to be rings and machine the walls. My little $13,000 truck is now topping $20,000 hahaha.... I'm to far end to it now to sell I'd never get my money back out of it, but i'll keep throwing money at it because It was fun to drive up until everything went boom... also stupid question/statement.... our trucks aren't sleeved why has everybody told me to sleeve it??

also stupid question/statement.... our trucks aren't sleeved why has everybody told me to sleeve it??

You havent told us what engine it is, some engines are sleeved others are not. I never bothered to look all that close. But all engines can be sleeved if the bore is too damaged to be honed to the correct oversize

Yes, a few gaps here in info. The last non-Toyota 4-cylinder Perkins diesel I rebuilt had worn standard dry liners in the original block. I had those pushed out, new OEM ones pushed in, new cam bearings in the block (not OHC), that work on the block was $850 Canadian. Less in USD.

LA Sleeve is known as a good machine shop product, if you go shopping.

If it isn't a lined or sleeved block, and is just iron as your photo seems to show, it's stronger to simply overbore .20 or unlikely .40, and order new O/S pistons and rings. No sleeve to slip if it isn't there.

Engine jobs can be expensive if you allow them to be. At a certain point, in-frame repair becomes pointless. Tearing down the engine to block didn't take that long, and my labour was free. The slow rebuild at home and 5k in new parts added up though.

The dealer and some shady mechanics are good at making you think you can't do most of this work yourself with the help of a machine shop.

Its been a secret since the thread started. I guess its some kind of L engine

The first pic really worries me Geoff, the valve has bashed the piston real good and you have to find out why. If you replaced the head, without finding the cause for this then you can poke the new head as well. Do they all look like this ?? could be a buggered big end bearing, timing, stuck valve. Does the new head have new valves??

Tell all brother

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom