AC Delay (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had same exact issue. In AZ, 20 second AC delay on start up = no fun. In recirc mode, forced door up, loud snap, door stayed up. Up in recirc and down in fresh. New filter installed and system works perfect with no delay upon start up. Yeah baby! Thanks to drmwvr, Skyak and ton504. Fellow mudders on this forum are friggin awesome. This is by far the most satisfying fix a person (me) with virtually no mechanical skill can accomplish.

So I put the AC in recirc and forced the door in the up postion til I heard is snap into place. However, when I switched it to fresh air the door did not close. Didn't even seem to hear the motor try and close it... Could this be a servo box issue?

So I put the AC in recirc and forced the door in the up postion til I heard is snap into place. However, when I switched it to fresh air the door did not close. Didn't even seem to hear the motor try and close it... Could this be a servo box issue?
Sorry, wish I had the answer for you.

No worries. Posted here in case someone had insight to what it could be. As long as it doesn't lead to a bigger issue I guess I can live with dealing with the delay since its not my daily.

Update: AC delay is fixed. Just got in for a ride and tried fixing this morning.
Even though the filter box wouldn't close, HVAC is working perfectly fine and remembered the temp I had set it to.

Really appreciate the knowledge you posted here

After all I posted on page 1 of this thread, I discovered the cause was cabin air filter replacement without the deflector door in the recirculate position. I set the mode to outside air, pushed up on the deflector, heard a clunk, and all is working normally. ;)

how does the door feel when you lift it up? mine doesn't have any resistance. once you have broken the suction at the bottom. when I chance from recirculate to open, there is no motion or noise of any kind coming from that area.

I just noticed how some of you were saying you "forced" the door up. I didn't know if it felt like it was hard to lift up right from the beginning, or you forced it right at the end to sort of "click" it into place/back into the linkage?

thanks,

how does the door feel when you lift it up? mine doesn't have any resistance. once you have broken the suction at the bottom. when I chance from recirculate to open, there is no motion or noise of any kind coming from that area.

I just noticed how some of you were saying you "forced" the door up. I didn't know if it felt like it was hard to lift up right from the beginning, or you forced it right at the end to sort of "click" it into place/back into the linkage?

thanks,

I know for mine, it was lose pulling down or pushing up. However, by force for me was pushing it all the way open until I heard it click. Then it should feel sturdy.
Were you having the AC delay, where none of the HVAC buttons would respond?

PLEASE anyone reading this don’t just go crazy on your door. Many have been flat out broken by dealers, let’s not add to that number.

It is a weak design compounded by s***ty training and rare vehicles depriving techs of experience. My door was split at the pivot and forcing it one direction or the other wouldn’t have helped. In fact, if my door was damaged but not broken the advice in this thread would have finished it off.

So, don’t force anything! Figure out what is wrong. It isn’t difficult to pull the glove box and have a good look at the actuator and pivot pin to see if it’s just snapped out or actually broken. And doing the extra work will eliminate the possibility of making things worse.

thanks,
Yours may be like mine. I posted a thread about how I fixed it, with some detailed pics of the glove box removed giving some good perspective. I’m on mobile or I’d link it.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. it turned out that it did just need the extra push to "click" into place. And yes, I was having the delay where the buttons wouldnt respond for about 15 seconds and then I would have to reset my AC settings every time I started the car back up. Everything seems to be working now.

Now, I will be trying to fix the issue I have where every time i start it up, I have to click "agree" on the navigation screen regarding the warning message. Does anyone else have to do this? This was never an issue for me until I put a new battery in the car a few months ago.

Now, I will be trying to fix the issue I have where every time i start it up, I have to click "agree" on the navigation screen regarding the warning message. Does anyone else have to do this? This was never an issue for me until I put a new battery in the car a few months ago.

I always have to do this. If anyone knows a workaround, please post up!

I have never been forced to click 'agree.' My times out is a second or two. If it matters, my default screen is navigation.

I have never been forced to click 'agree.' My times out is a second or two. If it matters, my default screen is navigation.

I think we are both experiencing the same startup screens - you're just more patient than I am.

The "Agree" soft button does go away eventually, but for me it is longer than "a second or two." I'd rather not have to wait or press - it would be best if the "Agree" forced pause simply didn't present itself at all.

I know. First world problem. Legal "requirement." But still, a workaround would be nice.

How about a new Start/Stop ignition button with built-in biometric sensor? An executed consent agreement could be associated with all programmed identities and the startup screen program could proceed uninterrupted.

Or not...

My default is navigation as well. Mine definitely stays longer than a second or two. Because I dont want to look at it, I typically push "agree" right after I start it up, but I've certainly gone for at least a couple to a few minutes of driving and the screen did not change.

I cant say for certain that it wont time out after a while, but maybe I will try it in the next day or so, as I have a fairly lengthy commute each day.

I also have an intermittent AC problem, similar to described above. When doing a cold start on the car, the AC hesitates to start, then switches off completely and has to be started by hand by pushing the Auto button. Temperature is reset to 25c (approx 75F). After doing this it usually works normally for the rest of the day i.e. it starts immediately and remembers the temperature.
According to Toyota this is a known problem from 07, 08, 09 and 10 models, they claim that due to dust and dirt some of the motorized vanes/flaps in the AC assembly get stuck and cause the system to fail start-up. Their proposed solution is to swap the entire AC assembly in the dashboard, a US$3.500 fix. I found their story so unconvincing that I didn't bother with their proposed fix. Will now have a look at the re-circulation door first before ripping the dashboard apart!

I also have an intermittent AC problem, similar to described above. When doing a cold start on the car, the AC hesitates to start, then switches off completely and has to be started by hand by pushing the Auto button. Temperature is reset to 25c (approx 75F). After doing this it usually works normally for the rest of the day i.e. it starts immediately and remembers the temperature.
According to Toyota this is a known problem from 07, 08, 09 and 10 models, they claim that due to dust and dirt some of the motorized vanes/flaps in the AC assembly get stuck and cause the system to fail start-up. Their proposed solution is to swap the entire AC assembly in the dashboard, a US$3.500 fix. I found their story so unconvincing that I didn't bother with their proposed fix. Will now have a look at the re-circulation door first before ripping the dashboard apart!

Definitely start with the small stuff first haha!
When I took my LC into my dealer they couldn't figure out anything being wrong. They have a mechanic that's got a 100 series that's he's building. Asked him if he had any clue what it could be, didn't have a guess.
Then I found this thread and shared this info with my dealer after fixing it.

I think we are both experiencing the same startup screens - you're just more patient than I am.

I'm usually still connecting my phone, starting up Waze, and starting up my radar detector app. By the time I've done that, it has timed out. Yes, if someone is waiting for me to back out of a parking space while I'm doing all this, they are probably cursing me.

Started getting this today. After turning on the truck the AC is completely dead for about 30 seconds until auto turns itself on and it starts blowing. Have to manually change back to the climate settings I had before.
This happened after I took the battery out to clean up some wiring. I know my recirc is in good condition and functions properly. Really feels like it's reinitializing itself every startup. Any way to manually reinitialize the climate system? Unplug battery for 10 minutes?

Started getting this today. After turning on the truck the AC is completely dead for about 30 seconds until auto turns itself on and it starts blowing. Have to manually change back to the climate settings I had before.
This happened after I took the battery out to clean up some wiring. I know my recirc is in good condition and functions properly. Really feels like it's reinitializing itself every startup. Any way to manually reinitialize the climate system? Unplug battery for 10 minutes?
If you have access to tech stream you can force a servo door initialization. Seems worth a shot.

My wife took the LC in for an oil change, now the AC definitely has a delay and resets to 75. Frustrating but hopefully fixable.

My wife took the LC in for an oil change, now the AC definitely has a delay and resets to 75. Frustrating but hopefully fixable.
Unplugging the battery fixed the resetting the 75 thing, still got a delay though. Gonna check things out with techstream tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom