Need options for hitch wiring - Mine got removed by a rock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
wiscoproud.kinja.com
So i was out exploring a forest road by my in-laws cabin that i've done a few dozen times before. This time was particularly muddy due to recent rains and there were a nice coating of leaves obscuring obstacles. In any regard, at some point I clipped my hitch wiring plug right off the hitch. the physical plug is still hanging there by the spare, but the dust cover and mount are long gone.

Two questions: Does anyone know the part number to replace that section of the wiring? I presume I can't just replace the plug and mount; and two, any suggestions on getting this out of the way so I don't get a repeat performance?

My $0.02, having just worked on this thing on my 100...

I assume you have a four-pin flat connector? The wires are all color-coded. You can easily drop the spare tire and you'll see how the trailer wire harness runs up along the back of the car to the passenger side, where it plugs into a gray connector. (The wiring upstream of that then actually doubles back to the drivers side inside the larger harness.) Anyway, you can unplug that gray connector and take the whole trailer harness off and bring it inside. Buy a plain four-pin flat connector with 3-4 ft of wiring on Amazon. It can't be more than $10. I soldered mine together, then electrical taped followed by heat shrink tubing but you can connect it any which way you like.

As for repositioning the outlet so it doesn't get smashed again, I have fewer ideas about that. You could keep an extra length of wire on the car side and then tuck it/remove when needed. If someone else has a better mounting idea let us know.

The part number is 82824-34030, but i can't seem to find one through my normal channels. I did find one on ebay, but I would prefer to buy new if possible. It looks like this:
s-l1600.jpg

Any ideas on where i can find one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom