Wiring Harness plug mysteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

First post, but read here everyday. Thanks to all who have contributed and given up so much knowledge on these awesome vehicles so unselfishly!
Anyways, I have many questions, but I'll start with some basic stuff. Upon looking over my newly acquired 2nd FJ62 I have noticed lots of factory harness plugs that are no longer being used. I would expect to see some tapped on wires leading to elimination of these plugs, but in some spots I dont see any bypass.
One in particular is near my oil cooler. Other one is near my washer reservoir. Also my compressor 2 pin plug has been unplugged possibly because it was not working or cycling when not supposed to(havn't checked into it).
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a cruiser and seen anything like this. All the systems seem to be working except the oil pressure guage, the horn and the a/c
I posted a few pics of the mystery plugs on my Daily Cruiser, but not as concerned about these ones
I also have a major vibration at 20+MPH. PO told me he thinks its cause by bad suspension or the Torque Converter. The leaf springs are damn near flat, but other than that the suspension seems to be correct and nothing wobbly, out of place or disconnected. Just really worn out I think. Lift kit is on the list or at least new leafs and shocks.
Lastly, the third picture shows some sort of vacuum box directly next to the oil cooler and oil filter. What is this exactly? It has like a vacuum valve on the top and a bunch of vacuum hoses going various places. Is this where all of my engine vacuum is created, or what is that thing, and what does it provide vac for?
Thanks for being a trusted resource!
Cruiser Q3.jpg
Crusier Q.jpg
Cruiser Q.jpg

Hi Guys,

First post, but read here everyday. Thanks to all who have contributed and given up so much knowledge on these awesome vehicles so unselfishly!
Anyways, I have many questions, but I'll start with some basic stuff. Upon looking over my newly acquired 2nd FJ62 I have noticed lots of factory harness plugs that are no longer being used. I would expect to see some tapped on wires leading to elimination of these plugs, but in some spots I dont see any bypass.
One in particular is near my oil cooler. Other one is near my washer reservoir. Also my compressor 2 pin plug has been unplugged possibly because it was not working or cycling when not supposed to(havn't checked into it).
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a cruiser and seen anything like this. All the systems seem to be working except the oil pressure guage, the horn and the a/c
I posted a few pics of the mystery plugs on my Daily Cruiser, but not as concerned about these ones
I also have a major vibration at 20+MPH. PO told me he thinks its cause by bad suspension or the Torque Converter. The leaf springs are damn near flat, but other than that the suspension seems to be correct and nothing wobbly, out of place or disconnected. Just really worn out I think. Lift kit is on the list or at least new leafs and shocks.
Lastly, the third picture shows some sort of vacuum box directly next to the oil cooler and oil filter. What is this exactly? It has like a vacuum valve on the top and a bunch of vacuum hoses going various places. Is this where all of my engine vacuum is created, or what is that thing, and what does it provide vac for?
Thanks for being a trusted resource!View attachment 1768765 View attachment 1768766 View attachment 1768767

The mystery plug with the Blue wire w/ yellow tracer stripe is your washer pump motor ................

Third picture shows the charcoal canister.
Enter it into 'search" at the top of the page and read away.

I recently had a vibration (can't say it was 'major' though) at approx. 20-30 MPH which was caused by a missing wheel weight(s). Had the front tires rebalanced which resolved my issue.

It was just recently purchased and had awful tires and original wheels. Replaced wheels and tires which were balanced, but the vibration persists. Thinking possible needs new u-joints and shaft balanced.
She's getting a new custom exhaust installed at the moment as it was chopped right behind the cats which needed replacing and one of the O2 sensors was pretty much falling out. So new exhaust from cats back and a new bung? for one sensor.
This aught to allow me to hear what I got going on.

It was just recently purchased and had awful tires and original wheels. Replaced wheels and tires which were balanced, but the vibration persists. Thinking possible needs new u-joints and shaft balanced.
She's getting a new custom exhaust installed at the moment as it was chopped right behind the cats which needed replacing and one of the O2 sensors was pretty much falling out. So new exhaust from cats back and a new bung? for one sensor.
This aught to allow me to hear what I got going on.

Where/When do you feel the vibration? Could be that the bushings for the springs are done, could be that the knuckles need to be rebuilt as the bearing are going. One of the first, major jobs and Right of Passage on our trucks it he knuckle rebuild!

Very first thing I did when I got it was remove the front wheels and do new pads, rotors and wheel bearings, though did not do a complete knuckle rebuild or dive in further than the wheel bearings. All looked good in there, but then again, what do I know.
Is the knuckle rebuild much more difficult than doing the wheel bearings, since I went that far already?

A knuckle rebuild is a rite of passage for owning one of the vehicles. Not hard but extremely messy! There's thread upon thread within these hallowed halls with information about knuckle rebuilds. The search feature is your friend and when you hit a hurdle just ask away to the peanut gallery.

To answer your question from before, I feel the vibration pretty much all through the vehicle. Kind of hard to say where it originates, but feels kind of like it starts at the drive shaft or in that region. Next on the list is the rear shaft because I already have the u joints. See where that gets me and then go from there

To answer your question from before, I feel the vibration pretty much all through the vehicle. Kind of hard to say where it originates, but feels kind of like it starts at the drive shaft or in that region. Next on the list is the rear shaft because I already have the u joints. See where that gets me and then go from there
Let's see some pictures of your leaf spring bushings. I bet they're toast. I have some vibrations and mine are completely shot. Working on getting them changed out in a few weeks.

I took pictures of the leafs themselves because I didnt realize you asked for bushing pics. Either way, judging by the state the leafs are in I would say the bushings have long since been toast. The leaf springs are pretty flat.
I have a OME lift kit priced and it looks like I can get one as cheap as $1,300 ish from Metal Tech
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/ome-fj60-62-post-86-gasoline-heavy-duty-suspension-kit/
Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper OME kits or of same quality that comes with everything? Also will do front and rear extended swaybar links.

Also, back to the right of passage knuckle rebuild, the balls on my knuckles have some pretty hefty grease build up and it looks like a pretty nasty almost rust color, which is not what my other cruiser's knuckle look like. Guess its time for a re pack, would you say?
Leaf.jpg
leafs.jpg
knuckle.jpg
knuckles.jpg

Your bushings are most definitely toast. Swaybar bushings too, and yes you need extenders for the rear with a lift. I would suspect your knuckles probably need a rebuild through and through. When they start leaking like that it's because the axle seals have gone bad and are leaking diff oil into the knuckle causing a soupy mess that can lead to damaged bearings and birfield joints. Bad knuckles could be the cause of your vibration as well as bushings. I would probably address the knuckles first and then the bushings and springs. No sense in putting a lift on a truck that has worn out axle bearings and seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom