Hitchgate, anybody? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just bought one for my GX it gives me the ability to mount it and have a spare for my trailer if I am using my LX as a tow vehicle. Once a GX rear bumper is available in the market to my liking then I will purchase one. Ben is now building a bumper for the GX
20180209_073750.jpg

I just bought one for my GX it gives me the ability to mount it and have a spare for my trailer if I am using my LX as a tow vehicle. Once a GX rear bumper is available in the market to my liking then I will purchase one. Ben is now building a bumper for the GX
View attachment 1639426

@nikramos Very nice trailer. Who is the manufacturer?

I was considering wilco hitch mount recently. Also talked to a guy who is having one on his LC permanently, he had nothing to say negative about it.

Here is what I want it to do,
  1. carry 2nd spare (1st on OEM location)
  2. carry at least 2 jerry cans
  3. carry a Hi-lift jack
  4. carry Trasharoo
Above all is possible with wilco and as well as steel bumper.

Costs
Wilco: 1400-1800 depending on what hitch + license plate relocation with wiring
Steel bumper with two swings: 2200-2600

Pros/Cons of wilco,
+ Removable and back to stock whenever needed
+ Less expensive
+ Lightweight
- No protection as steel bumper
- Loss of departure angle
- Whole thing is not secure, only lock is at the hitch mount
- Loosing stock backup camera when installed (this is a permanent relocation with steel bumper)
- Can carry more items with second arm of a steel bumper (ice box, 3 jerry cans, ladder etc)

Wilco is not that cheap as it appears when putting all I need to gather. May be better to get local shop to fab accessories to the wilco than buying their accessories so I can fine tune to my needs. Finally, when considering all above steel bumper seems to fit my needs at the moment. I'm not finalized my decision yet though.

I've been considering the tiregate solo hi for a while now strictly due to budget.

Couple of thoughts ...

image.jpeg

I like the idea of a centered spare. No light obstruction but license plate relocation a must. Optional wilco plate adapter pictured.

This image shows the ability to add an additional hitch adapter for towing - but seems a bit erector set-ish to get the additional ball mount at the appropriate height.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next we see that a hi-lift can be mounted with room for rotopax if desired.

Personally I would bring the tiregate closer to the body, reducing some of that gap - there is a "how to" thread on the 4runners forum using a hitchgate but same modifications apply.

Keep in my the wheel above is a factory / oem tundra wheel with an offset of +60 so it will sit closer to the body that an after market +20, etc. The tire picturesd is a 295/70r18.

I was considering wilco hitch mount recently. Also talked to a guy who is having one on his LC permanently, he had nothing to say negative about it.

Here is what I want it to do,
  1. carry 2nd spare (1st on OEM location)
  2. carry at least 2 jerry cans
  3. carry a Hi-lift jack
  4. carry Trasharoo
Above all is possible with wilco and as well as steel bumper.

Costs

Pros/Cons of wilco,
+ Removable and back to stock whenever needed
+ Less expensive
+ Lightweight
- No protection as steel bumper
- Loss of departure angle
- Whole thing is not secure, only lock is at the hitch mount
- Loosing stock backup camera when installed (this is a permanent relocation with steel bumper)
- Can carry more items with second arm of a steel bumper (ice box, 3 jerry cans, ladder etc)

Wilco is not that cheap as it appears when putting all I need to gather. May be better to get local shop to fab accessories to the wilco than buying their accessories so I can fine tune to my needs. Finally, when considering all above steel bumper seems to fit my needs at the moment. I'm not finalized my decision yet though.

The heavier weight of a full bumper system can also require upgraded suspension, so there's the potential added cost of that too.

Costs
Wow, wasn't expecting that type of pricing. At that point I'd personally rather put the $ toward the steel bumper

I'd imagine this tire thingy flops around all over the place just like a bike hitch carrier?
Any pics of this thing with the tailgate open?

And I'm surprised no one has stated the obvious. The carrier will allow you to carry any size above what fits into the stock location with a hitch.

My wife runs a 34.5" BFG ko2 which probably translates into a true 33.5" with the factory integrated Lexus bumper hitch and can NOT insert a tongue due to tire interference. (I had to remove the spare tire bracket and literally squeeze it in - probably not the best idea but it's in there). True mounted trailer hitches are often limited to 33's sometimes 34's if you suck in.

Bottom line, it's functional to a certain / limited degree. I think it looks as good as it costs. I would prefer it closer to the body.

Real bumpers with swingouts are 100% better but cost some major coin.

(The extra hitch hanging off the back would not be there)

image.jpeg

All of these points are why I will custom build my own. I know not everyone has the skills or tools to do that though. But you can buy a 120v Miller for $500 for a used one, and it will weld up to 3/16” steel in one pass. That’s plenty of meat for bumpers or tire carriers. When I build mine, I’ll post pics and show you the high clearance tow/tire thingy (T.T.T.) that I’ve had in my head for a while. It’ll be a few months before I get to it, so don’t hold your breath.

I have the Hitchgate Solo High Clearance and really like it. I will address some of the pro's and con's from my experience with it.
  • While departure angle is slightly compromised, I don't go offroad so that's a moot point to me.
  • It does block the rearview camera, but there are accessories that can relocate it as well as the license plate.
  • Also accessories to add high-lift jack, jerry cans, etc. if that's your thing.
  • My spare carrier under the truck was rusted to the point where it would not drop, so I had to find an alternative.
  • Parallel parking is a little more difficult due to the added length, but not by much. More difficult without the camera, IMO.
  • I would highly recommend the high-clearance model, as you can see how the horizontal member sits flush with the bumper.
  • I run 285/70/17 tires which may or may not fit under the truck in the stock location. Not a problem anymore.
  • Lower hatch has enough clearance to drop with Hitchgate arm swung out.
  • Very well designed and manufactured. Good ol' Made in USA.
  • The assembly is very secure, much moreso than I first expected. If installed properly, it does not wobble at all.
  • I paid $539 delivered from Jegs.com. Still available at that price. If I had to do it again, I would.
    DSC_0548.JPG
    DSC_0549.JPG
    DSC_0550.JPG
    DSC_0551.JPG
    DSC_0552.JPG

This looks perfect for my needs. Is there any way to lock the swing out in the OPEN position to keep it from closing on you in off camber conditions?

This looks perfect for my needs. Is there any way to lock the swing out in the OPEN position to keep it from closing on you in off camber conditions?
No, it swings freely but you could probably modify it pretty easily to stay in a fixed open position.

For me a 100 cannot afford a worse departure angle.
4x4Labs DIY rear with swingouts is around $1,400- cant beat it and I bet someone in a local club would be willing to help weld it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom