Hitchgate, anybody? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

viducce

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Could this be an alternative to changing the complete rear bumper?
Any experiences with this setup?

hitchgate.png

I actually really like that. Seems like a cheaper option if you don't need all the features of a $2k+ rear bumper.

I have one. I purchased it bc I wanted something removable. It works pretty well. Kills departure angle a tad, but other than that I'm happy with it.

I have one. I purchased it bc I wanted something removable. It works pretty well. Kills departure angle a tad, but other than that I'm happy with it.
Did you purchase the "high" one? Or just standard?

Its the original hitchgate classic I believe. Not the high version. Doesn't make too much difference IMO.

I don't see the point? You only get back the clearance of the tire underneath. You don't improve departure angles at all. If anything, it is a tiny, tiny bit worse.

If you like the look of having a tire hanging off your hitch, without the improved departure angle and added protection of a steel bumper, this, however, seems like exactly the thing to buy.

Easy to install, can easily be taken to your next vehicle, most likely cheaper and lighter weight are a few advantages that I can think of.

Easy to install, can easily be taken to your next vehicle, most likely cheaper and lighter weight are a few advantages that I can think of.
Agree, but what is it for? What does it do that having the tire under the truck does not? Actually curious...

Bigger tire and bigger jack holder than OEM

Agree, but what is it for? What does it do that having the tire under the truck does not? Actually curious...
It looks as though their might be additional accessories for Jerry cans, jacks, Oversized tires, etc. Again, not sure how much that would be worth it or not...

There are a few guys on ExPo that are using these and all of them like them. I think they are a great option when compared to buying a complete bumper for those that only get out on the trails a few times a year. You can carry your spare where it’s easily accessible and add a high lift mount and jerrycan carrier without committing to having the bulk on the truck 24/7.

I’m probably going to fab one up for my 100 when I get my front bumper finished, and the paint done, and the 90k service, and new leather and and and...

On my long-term build plan is a 2nd gas tank, and the spare tire hole is the best/biggest place to install one. So for me this would be a consideration vs the 2k bumper swing...

I don't see the point? You only get back the clearance of the tire underneath. You don't improve departure angles at all. If anything, it is a tiny, tiny bit worse.

If you like the look of having a tire hanging off your hitch, without the improved departure angle and added protection of a steel bumper, this, however, seems like exactly the thing to buy.

Main advantage I see is having the spare out from underneath the vehicle. Not for clearance. But, for convenience. On sandy or muddy trails, a flat tire would be a major issue when trying to access/drop the spare in it's traditional underbody location. I would rather be able to access the spare cleanly off the back of the vehicle in those circumstances. I'd sacrifice some departure angle for the convenience of accessing the spare in those situations.

Or for the occasional time you wanted to have a second spare along just in case, without the inconvenience of full time swingout. Probably those times you would also want the hi lift and extra fuel

Or for the occasional time you wanted to have a second spare along just in case, without the inconvenience of full time swingout. Probably those times you would also want the hi lift and extra fuel

Yup! And easy to remove and stow in the garage retaining the convenience of the tailgate for everyday/suburban use. I carried a 2nd full sized spare for my recent trip to Big Bend and had to stow the tire in the back on top of my drawer system. I rolled the tire out at each camp and laid it on the ground so I had room to sleep in the truck. A hitchgate would have made my life immeasurably easier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom